Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2019, 21:21   #31

Boat: Island Packet 29
Re: Galveston to biloxi

Im no fan of the ICW at all. But 27' Hunter, December, cold fronts, oil patch, no radar or AIS or knowledge of the boat? Id do the ditch.

Theres a Youtube video of a guy doing the ditch from Kemah to New Orleans and gives lots of info on where he stops and docks, anchors, navigate locks, etc.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2019, 05:57   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
Im no fan of the ICW at all. But 27' Hunter, December, cold fronts, oil patch, no radar or AIS or knowledge of the boat? Id do the ditch.

Theres a Youtube video of a guy doing the ditch from Kemah to New Orleans and gives lots of info on where he stops and docks, anchors, navigate locks, etc.
Unless you manage to get run over by a tow, the ICW is definitely the lower risk route.

But, if there is an uglier part of the ICW, I haven't seen it!
Old 31-12-2019, 14:20   #33

Boat: 223 Starwind

Probably nothing relevant to your proposed sail, but here's an article I wrote many years ago about a delivery I did on that route:

http://austinsailor.net/opb.html

And another:

Delivering Money Vac
austinsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 14:47   #34

Boat: Beneteau First 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
What kind of vessel was the 14'?
A Sunfish?
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 17:05   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsailor View Post
Probably nothing relevant to your proposed sail...
I read both articles.

I live in Katy. The next time you need crew to help deliver a boat from Kemah or the Island, ...

don't call me...

Seriously... what a couple of bad trips, but exact examples of how even a well planned trip can end up being absolutely no fun ... except for that hour long hot water shower at the end of the trip.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 17:18   #36

I do not think anyone on this forum should support this trip......
moonmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 17:20   #37

Boat: 223 Starwind

When you deliver a newly bought boat, it's in the worst possible shape. Old owner has probably neglected it, tried to hide what he could, new owner hasn't found out what he bought. You try to check what you can and take patching materials to kludge along the way.

I haven't done a delivery in some time, doubt I will again. I just returned from my latest adventure last night - 3 weeks babysitting someone else's 50' Catamaran in a slip in the Bahamas. Hot showers, air conditioning when needed, no breakdowns. Not shabby!
austinsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 17:55   #38

Boat: catalina 22 & 27

Those are some great stories austin! Thx-Ace
Old 01-01-2020, 07:07   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsailor View Post
When you deliver a newly bought boat, it's in the worst possible shape. Old owner has probably neglected it, tried to hide what he could, new owner hasn't found out what he bought. You try to check what you can and take patching materials to kludge along the way.

I haven't done a delivery in some time, doubt I will again. I just returned from my latest adventure last night - 3 weeks babysitting someone else's 50' Catamaran in a slip in the Bahamas. Hot showers, air conditioning when needed, no breakdowns. Not shabby!
The only boat I was ever on that was dismasted, was a boat I was helping deliver from Panama City, FL to Pass Christian, MS. It was a donated boat, 26 footer, that a friend had bought from the charitable organization. When we got there, and walked down the dock to look at it, the rigging was so bad, that there was no reason to inspect it. Just looking at it, you knew it was suspect.

But, since we were going to be motoring most of the way, I got talked into believing in would make it for that short trip. Wrong!!!!!

The wind blew up, the motor quit, and it was about 2:00 am one morning, and we were beating into 25 knot winds, just trying to make Gulfport harbor, to pull in and call it a night. Still, not horrible, just annoying. And then, with a loud pop, the whole rig came down.

Now, no radio, (antenna is on the top of the mast, which is now somewhere under us) just five miles from the harbor. No motor. No phone (both were dead). Well this just can't get any worse.
Wrong!!!

Here comes a barge and tow that's set on course to run right over us. I shoot four flares (apparently), at the tow, and he stops beside us and calls for help for us. The Coast Guard shows up, and asks how many flares we shot, and I'm like, I don't know how many we had, but I shot every one of them I could find at that towboat!

And, the worst was, I knew one of the Coast Guard guys, so this story was told often, at my expense, in the months to come. Yep, nothing like a delivery on a strange and new boat!
Old 02-01-2020, 03:59   #40

Sorry, guys, but please let me remind you: Shrimping boats and fishing boats and lobster boats are WORKING. They are not oblivious; they are not ignoring us. They are out on deck, hauling nets, setting lines and doing some of the hardest physical labour known to man in thankless, harsh environmental conditions.

When they "change course without warning" they are generally trawling in a grid pattern. (That's just been my observation over the years.)

COLREGS state we must keep clear, so hey, let's just salute these hardworking men and women as we alter course and give them as much room as possible, so they can labour on, unfettered by us yachties - who, from their perspective, must seem to have it incredibly easy by comparison.

Happy New Year to All,
LittleWing
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote