Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2021, 05:27   #1

Boat: looking
Gen

Good morning to all! Quick question. I'm new to the idea of a generator on board a cruising vessel. So when I purchase a sailboat I want a generator for many reasons but mainly for backup and ac. Living in Florida can be hot. Would this community recommend a portable generator vs marine gen. Cheaper. I understand the concerns of exhaust and possible fire but would like to bounce it off more experienced sailors. Ty for your remarks on this!
MikeO1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 05:50   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Gen

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 05:52   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I’ve seen them in the Caribbean. Usually installed permanently in a sound isolation box.

If small enough they are carried onto the deck at anchor. Running an IC engine inside AND an AC is counterproductive.

One of our friends has big solar and two wind generators. He recently installed a new high efficiency AC and runs from his batteries.

We have two AC units and a 12.5 kw generator. We live on anchor in the Caribbean. I have never in 13 years run the AC. If I lived at the dock in Florida I’d probably think about it. We run the thing only as a charging necessity. Maybe 3 hours per week.

Consider that anchored or docked you will get huge benefit from a sun shade covering most of the deck. This will make things livable as well as reduce AC demand if you choose to use it. Many people also find their refrigerators happen to be against the sunny side of the hull. They drape a white canvas fitted to shield the sun over that part of the hull.

Any deck but brilliant white will be hot. There are some I have walked in the Caribbean that are so hot that shoes are mandatory.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 05:53   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Whilst I'd NEVER recommend utilizing a portable generator, aboard a boat, fitting a proper fixed marine generator & transfer switch, aboard a 30-35ft sailboat, would probably be impracticable, in most cases.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2021, 06:46   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Whilst I'd NEVER recommend utilizing a portable generator, aboard a boat, fitting a proper fixed marine generator & transfer switch, aboard a 30-35ft sailboat, would probably be impracticable, in most cases.

Beneteau 36 CC typically have small diesel generators

Small 4kw get sets would be possible in s all boats. But in my opinion uprated alternators batteries and invertors offer a better solution
Old 15-10-2021, 07:07   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Beneteau 36 CC typically have small diesel generators
Small 4kw get sets would be possible in s all boats. But in my opinion uprated alternators batteries and invertors offer a better solution
Just one, of the many things, I didn’t [don’t] know.

Beneteau Oceanis 36 CC: Specifications
"... space in engine compartment for generator ..."
https://www.beneteau.com/sites/defau...List_en_27.pdf

Beneteau Oceanis 36 CC: Review
“... Hard to find in most boats this small, theres also realistic room for auxiliary machinery (air conditioning, generator, etc.) ...”
https://www.practical-sailor.com/sai...-oceanis-36-cc

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote