Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2014, 20:37   #1
Rav

Boat: Semaster Sailer 23
GIBSEA 302

Hi. Does anyone out there have any real experience of a GIBSEA 302 that can give me any INFORMED opinion of the boat?

Thanks,

Rav.
Rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 14:51   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Re: GIBSEA 302

Rav,
I own a Gibsea 302 since 2004. I cruise with her about 9 weeks per years. Before that, I have been an instructor with a sailing school that owned a few of them.

After buying the boat, I ferried her from Pauillac on the Gironde to Lorient in winter in the Bay of Biscay without any problem. Since then, I have been cruising the north part of the Bay of Biscay, the western part of the English Channel, the Celtic sea and the SW coast of Ireland. Then, I think my opinion about this boat is fairly well informed.

IMO, this is a good sailing yacht, strongly built, fairly fast as soon as the wind reaches Beaufort 4, very pleasant and easy to helm. The rudder has very good authority when going ahead or astern, it is able to check the prop walk when backing.

The boat sails efficiently in a seaway, going to windward or downwind. Close-hauled, I got 6 kts in Beaufort 5 and moderate sea (2.5m significant height) with double reefed main and working jib, and 5.5 kts in Beaufort 7-8, gusting to 9 and very rough sea (4 to 5m significant height) with triple-reefed main and storm jib. Downwind, I carry the spinnaker up to Beaufort 4-5 and at least 8kts.

The weak point is in light wind with some chop. The speed is disappointing in these conditions.

The cockpit is very wide and comfortable, pleasant in port, at anchor and at sea. When helming, I generally sit on the wide windward coaming, to get a better view of the waves. The mainsheet track is very long across the cockpit but so low that it isn't an obstacle.

The starboard cockpit locker is huge. It accommodates the inflatable, 5 headsails, 7 fenders, all the docklines... The port cockpit locker is shallower but roomy enough to receive a 6-person life raft, the storm anchor and its rode, 2 gas bottles, the outboard gasoline tank, a bucket...

There are berths for sleeping 6 people (2 in the salon, 2 in the fore cabin and 2 in the aft one) but then the boat is slightly crowded at night, for there isn't much space for stowing personal items: the luggage bags have to be stacked on the salon table. It is much more pleasant with only 4 people aboard.

The head is close to the companionway and usable in all sea conditions. There are variations regarding the galley: some boats have an oven, mine hasn't. The water tank">fresh water tank is 110 litres, the Diesel one is 70 litres.

Please note, there are 4 different keel configurations: shallow draught (1.45m), deep draught (1.85m), centreboarder (0.65 / 1.65m) and medium draught (1.6m, the one I have).

Alain
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carré&avant.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	407.5 KB
ID:	74551   Click image for larger version

Name:	carré&cuisine.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	414.3 KB
ID:	74552  

Click image for larger version

Name:	carré&tableŕcartes.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	74553  
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 17:09   #3
Rav

Hydra,

Thank you so much for taking the rouble to give the detailed and very useful description of the boat.

In fact, I have decided to put a deposit on the Gibsea before I have gone to see it in Greece. (This may seem rash but I know and trust the company who is selling the boat - and I do not want to miss out on her.)

It is very reassuring to hear that she is a seakindly boat although I suspect that your sailing skills may make the difference.

I am very much looking for a summer Med boat, though and I think that she fits the bill.

Thanks, again, for the information.

Rav.
Old 28-01-2014, 12:10   #4

Rav,
In fact, I discovered the Gibsea 302 when I was an instructor for a sailing school on the French Riviera.

IMO, the main downside of this boat for cruising in the Med is the lack of ventilation in the aft cabin: there is only one opening porthole. I have a project to add another one.

Alain
Old 02-02-2014, 16:07   #5
Rav

Alain,

Thanks, again, for the information.

I am excited about picking up the boat at the end of March. I am hoping that there are no major projects required to sail her, although there are a couple of things that I need to do for single handed sailing.

Apart from plugging in an Autotiller, this involves fitting a wireless remote control for the Lofrans windlass and marking the chain. The boat has a furling main and self tailing winches so she should be manageable (if, not fast) to sail solo.

If you have any ideas on how I can improve the boat setup for single handing it would be very helpful to hear any tips.

Thanks again,

Rav.
Old 06-02-2014, 16:10   #6
Rav

Hi. I wonder if Hydra, or anyone else, can help me out with dimensions for a cruising chute for the 302.

Looking at various sailmaker web sites, I get a luff length of between 35 and 41 feet.

I am hoping to pick up a second hand chute and snuffer so recommendations on dimensions would be great.

Thanks,.
Old 07-02-2014, 14:53   #7

Rav,
I have a symmetrical spinnaker, so I can't help you much.

Alain
Old 12-02-2014, 13:28   #8

Is the gib sea in gouvia marina? I've bought one of the three that were for sale. And wondered if you have bought Arkoudi?
Alexj.mcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 15:56   #9
Rav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexj.mcculloch View Post
Is the gib sea in gouvia marina? I've bought one of the three that were for sale. And wondered if you have bought Arkoudi?
Hi AlexJ.

Yes, I have bought one of them. (Eris, not Arkhoudi.) I was wondering whether the other ones were sold.

What are your plans?

Rav.
Old 13-02-2014, 02:44   #10

I have Anastasia. I'm going over at the end of March. But the plan is probably to bring her home to the uk
Alexj.mcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:32   #11

Boat: Gib'Sea 302 , 9.1m

I have one also and all he says is exactly right.
Mine has a roller Genoa and in mast furling - I am 71 and sail alone in Greece.
I am currently putting in an electric engine complete with four big solar panels over the cockpit..

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0100 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-03-2014, 10:35   #12

Are you the one who bought the Gib'sea next to mine in Gouvia and then sailed it to the Ukraine?

Old 08-03-2014, 14:30   #13
Rav

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORINA View Post
I have one also and all he says is exactly right.
Mine has a roller Genoa and in mast furling - I am 71 and sail alone in Greece.
I am currently putting in an electric engine complete with four big solar panels over the cockpit..

Hi Korina,

Did you buy one of the Sailing Holidays Gib'Sea boats?

If so, I am not the person who bought one and sailed it to the Ukraine. (With the current political situation, that is just as well!)

I am very interested in the fact that you are putting in an electric engine. Is this what they call a 'Hybrid Engine' in England - where there is a deisel engine that can charge the batteries and the propeller (and everything else) is powered by the electrics?

This 'hybrid' solution is something that I considered for my last boat but I ended up selling the boat without replacing the engine. It is a very interesting idea and my feeling is that this will be the future for yacht engines. Especially since solar generation is becoming more and more efficient. I would be very interested to hear about what you are using as a genset and the details of your engine.

Where are you sailing in Greece? Look out for Yacht Eris. I will be picking her up from Corfu at the end of March and making my way South. Do say hello, if you pass.

καλή τύχη

Rav.
Old 10-03-2014, 15:25   #14

I am in Margarona boatyard near Preveza .I am intending going there at the end of April.

Yes I did buy the boat from Mick Turner - Sailing Holidays in Corfu.

I have a 48v electric engine and two 250watt panels..the task now is to strengthen the Bimini to mount them on and to look for suitable batteries locally..or just get the whitevanman to bring them down
Have a look at
solarpoweredyacht.blogspot.co.uk
See you around I might spend a month or so in Vlycho Bay
Best wishes
David

Old 01-11-2014, 16:19   #15

I will love to see you on Facebook to, so please join the Gib'Sear Owners group on Facebook
pelberling is offline   Reply With Quote