Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2014, 05:41   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Good Experience at West Marine

I guess it is true what they say about how cheap sailors are!

The only real problem I've ever had that the local WM is that sometimes they are too helpful.

When I want normal everyday stuff I go to the local WM store and it doesn't bother me if I MAY be paying a little more for a $10 part because I know I probably will find it there (I have a Port Supply card anyway and it may not matter). Maybe I could hunt it down or order it on line and save 10%, but my time is worth more than that. I even normally go to the superstore in Woburn Mass instead of the smaller one in Portsmouth NH, which means I pay sales tax because in NH there isn't sales tax.

Now when I what bigger things that aren't going to be in stock I will search online for the best deal. But even then I don't always go with the lowest price because Defender is closer and the shipping often makes up for the difference.

BTW - the reason I don't order online from WM a lot of time is that the site always seems to run kind of slow.
Old 24-02-2014, 09:53   #17

Boat: Endeavour 43

I have never had a problem with West Marine service. Prices are sometimes good, sometimes bad, just depending on what I'm buying and when. On the other hand, when I need it NOW, it's sometimes worth paying a little extra.
Old 24-02-2014, 15:09   #18

Boat: Little Harbor 38

I need two gals a year of Pettit Horizon Blue bottom paint, 1 gal - WM $199, Jamestown $157, Defender $142. Which would you buy? Jamestown often offers free shipping.

Taylor fenders 10x26 - WM $97.99, Defender $74.99

I have never found anything at WM cheaper than anywhere else. I use to buy there when they would match the lowest price but they do not do that anymore. I price out everything before buying and have not bought a thing from them in the last 1-2 years even though they are 15 min away. It's your money.
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 16:22   #19

I gotta say our wm store has been more than cooperative. My husband had more than 23 pages and they could tell it went further back and still accepted our unhappy returns on weather gear">foul weather gear 8 yrs after purchase. Returned lots a stuff after return period. Seems they try to make people happy if are just a returning customer. We are, however, a conscientious customer and research lower prices and have found lower prices out there- and sorry, our bottom line still counts- especially when it can significantly add up. All purchases require research. Anytime- and anywhere

Monica. U
Mknebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 17:40   #20

Boat: Cape Dory 28

I like west marine.
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, marine