Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2017, 09:52   #31

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky
Re: Good gift for a female sailor?

How about taking her out for a real nice dinner?
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:53   #32

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I love reading all these suggestions.

Here's mine. After a day of "sailoring" there is absolutely nothing better than going to our bed and seeing it made up with crisp sheets and a comforter (I like everything white). I've just washed the salt (or the oil, or the paint) off and I'm ready for some serious luxury. To me, it's better than a spa day.

I don't know if your lady would like it, but you get serious points in my book for asking the question!
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:56   #33

Boat: Various

Wifey B: Something she would not otherwise do or buy, perhaps would consider it too frivolous to spend on herself or too expensive. A day at the spa is often great as most people love it, but hesitate to do it. Perhaps a couples day or at least a couples massage added to it.

An item of jewelry that says "I love you" in some way, whether a heart or diamond or her favorite stone.

Take her to enjoy something you know she'll love that isn't up your alley. For example, if she loves ballet and you don't or a musician she likes. Something that is clearly for her.

A day that starts with breakfast in bed is always good. Maybe followed by a massage and then maybe extras.

A trip to that French restaurant she's always talked about but you've dismissed as something you wouldn't care for.

A poem written by you or even a card designed and written by you. Something that says what she means to you.

A night in an exorbitant hotel suite with a jacuzzi en suite, champagne, strawberries, chocolate, room service.

Something that tells her you remember your first time meeting her, your first times together, even something like looking at your wedding photos or video together.

Ok, looking back at what you wrote: "something useful for a woman who sails." Something that sailing robs her of a bit, like a nice manicure and pedicure, or her favorite perfume.

Are there any collectibles she likes such as Precious Moments, many collectibles having pieces that express feelings well. Any piece of art she's admired?

Somewhere she'd love to spend the day, like the zoo, the art museum, or the butterfly park. Somewhere that makes you both feel like kids again. Could just be a trip to the arboretum and lunch there.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:40   #34

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

A belaying pin.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:54   #35

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop

Let's see - RECENT things I've gotten my wife of 41 years for birthday / anniversary ....
New Spinnaker (used)
New Sheets (spinnaker not bed)
New Autopilot
New electrical panels
New GPS / Chart Plotter
We sold the whaler and bought an inflatable

Decided I needed to quit focusing on boat gifts last year so ...
for 40th anniversary I bought her a 12 x 24 storage building for the yard ....
for 41st anniversary I bought her a new back yard fence

she's actually pretty happy with these last two gifts ...
Jhowell5558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:22   #36

Boat: Various

Wifey B: Our birthdays and anniversaries are sort of doubled up. His birthday is also the anniversary of us meeting and my birthday our wedding anniversary.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:36   #37

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValiantV View Post
Hey folks,

Looking for a birthday gift for my sailing s/o. Looking to spend ~$100 for something useful for a woman who sails.

As for the $100 guideline, being new boat owners, we don't​ have tons of extra money and one might say we already bought ourselves a HUGE "gift" in a new (to us) sailboat and the associated expenses that acconany it.

BTW - the last "sailing" gift I got her was a Victorinox "Skipper" knife which she did love.

Thanks.
Every sailor needs good sunglasses. Good polarized lenses and maybe a neck strap that keeps them from being lost overboard.
Not overly expensive but very needed and useful.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:02   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vets sailing View Post
My wife loves her pStyle. Pee standing up. ThepStyle.com or on Amazon. Now she has every opportunity to fall off the boat while peeing just like the guys. Useful off the boat too when traveling. Also pretty funny when she demos for her pals.
My wife calls her's "The Wizzer." She loves the ability to whiz without having to "assume the position" in a time critical situation. Don't laugh...women who have tried it love it.
Captain-Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:19   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Avenger View Post
My wife calls her's "The Wizzer." She loves the ability to whiz without having to "assume the position" in a time critical situation. Don't laugh...women who have tried it love it.
They are just Jealous of us and our supremely efficient equipment.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:46   #40

Boat: bare boat charter world wide

Kinda go along with something pratical that she can use for sailing...

1. Good pair of quality deck shoes, that she picks out for herself

2. Quality sailing gloves

3. I like the sailing jacket that matches the boat colors, or her personal colors that she prefers

4. Her own very nice sailing duffel that she can manage when full of her sailing stuff.

5. a good sailing hat with a chin strap that will keep in on her head as well as protect her from the sun .

6.. Then add in a bottle of rum for the two of you to share, and your love and patience and confidence.

Oh, and after 34 years of sailing in world wide locations, I tell everyone that I may be the licensed captain, but Erica is the admiral. it lets them know that she is an excellent sailor and partner for life. And how proud I am of her.

That might just be the most special gift.
bvisailing32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:53   #41

5. a good sailing hat with a chin strap that will keep in on her head as well as protect her from the sun.

The BEST sailing hat is a Tilley hat. (The ONLY sailing hat in Canada)
Google them.
Old 10-06-2017, 13:00   #42

Boat: KP 46

A good pair of binoculars. Hers and hers alone.

Exclusive binoculars means you do not have to adjust them whenever you pick them up.

Having ones own binoculars on a vessel gives a person a sense of belonging.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 13:40   #43

A mast step (installed) was a hit with my SO/wife since it made it much easier to attach and detach the main halyard.
julienb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 15:20   #44

Boat: bare boat charter world wide

Just FYI....if you do not have a mast step, I just use a boat hook to snag the sail slides to pull the main down, and to grasp eventually the head of the sail and pull it down to tie of the halyard to stop mast slap .

but I doubt an engraved boat hook would be that impressive.

We see that a lot in the BVI with bare boat charters. The main is still a quarter of the way up the mast. The crew cannot reach up high enough to get to it, to bring in all the way down.

Looks pretty bad. I sometimes dink over and talk story a bit with them,and suggest the boat hook...especially since I am only 5" 6" and have the same problem.

I used to climb up the mast as best i could, until one day Erica says..

HEY, DEN, HOW ABOUT USING A BOAT HOOK !

The sailing life made simple and easy. Yea, Admiral Erica.
bvisailing32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 15:26   #45

my being a devil, I'd say go see Dr Feel Good for a script of Blues. This way it's a gift that keeps on giving
silverbeard1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail