Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2017, 15:44   #46

Re: Good gift for a female sailor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
They are just Jealous of us and our supremely efficient equipment.
We may have "efficient equipment", but when was the last time a woman washed up on shore with her pants around her ankles?
Captain-Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 15:53   #47

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

On a somewhat different note, she may have "honey do's" she'd like you to you. How about making up a coupon booklet of blanks, she can fill in the chore, and you do 'em for her? Some women don't like to ask more than once.

Something that I have, that I wouldn't be without, is warm, dry socks, for when you come off watch and your feet are cold and damp. Jim doesn't indulge in them, but I sure do. He got me some in Tasmania before we left, bulky wool knit, lined with sheep's wool, and with little non-skid buttons on the sole. Very warm and comfy. Some of the best gifts I've ever had have been dedicated to keeping my feet warm!

Ann
Old 10-06-2017, 16:34   #48

Boat: Union cutter 33

a floating bra....lmao had to add that
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 17:00   #49

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Well, my wife was overjoyed when I bought a pair of low-cost binoculars that were HER sized .... lightweight, small, use with one hand and with one-finger focus.

Yeah, okay, they didn't do anywhere near as well as my Steiners but they were HERs and she could easily use them while at the helm - or for spy-duty at anchorage.

'Course, I got a bit of stick when I included a flotation strap, what with her only having fallen overboard the twice. And it had been more than ten years since the last time as she let me know.
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 17:59   #50

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosatte View Post
a floating bra....lmao had to add that
Wifey B: I don't understand either half of that gift.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 20:06   #51

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

block of 85% cocoa chocolate and a pair of gum boots
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 21:02   #52

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

If you are full live aboard, retired... Give her a world map and a single 📍
Let her decide the direction of your travels
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 21:51   #53

Boat: Lagoon 440

You guys are amazing with your gift ideas .
Anyone off these would hit the mark .
Then next week give her another one 💕
I hope I meet someone like you ......
Seriously !
rnor144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:52   #54

Boat: Montevideo 43

a handwritten letter explaining how much you love and appreciated her. How much you love the fact that she is sharing this special cruising time with you and how the two of you are realising this dream as a team. Add a bunch of flowers and you are good to go!!!!!!!
Jannie Radiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:43   #55

OK, why not brighten up the marriage with Dr Feel Goods remedy, if you missed the meaning of Blues, aka,Sildenafil Citrate, & if it last longer then 4 hours "Lucky Girl"
silverbeard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:58   #56

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbeard1 View Post
OK, why not brighten up the marriage with Dr Feel Goods remedy, if you missed the meaning of Blues, aka,Sildenafil Citrate, & if it last longer then 4 hours "Lucky Girl"
I should have said "the female sailor that has everything" - well definitely not "everything" but at least the above ^^^ she has in spades.

Thanks for all of the other suggestions.

The coupon book sounds too expensive. [emoji14]

The notes and such - chocolate, etc. great idea, affordable, and definitely something that she will get as well.

Oh - and who assumed that cruising was my idea and that she is just putting up with me? Sure, I may have "floated" the idea, but SHE took it and ran with it!
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:58   #57

Boat: Gulf 32

Some of these are repeats of suggestions already made, but I have bought most of these for my wife and they have been well received:

* Fender step (she's vertically challenged so I went with the 2 step version)
-- FENDER2STEP™
* Mugs with boat name on them
-- Grab a line drawing off sailboatdata.com, add your boat name under it, can do this at discountmugs.com or lots of other places like that
* Burgee / flag for United States or your home state
* If she cooks on board (or is considering it), a really heavy duty cast iron pot is very flexible and the heavy heavy pots make up for a lot of deficiencies (uneven heat etc) in marine stoves. I got my wife a Le Creuset cast iron dutch oven (I got her a #22) last year and she loves it, it's great size for the boat oven, can be used on cooktop, is heavy cast iron (so distributes heat well) but is lined so much less prone to rusting than regular cast iron. These things aren't cheap, but if you look carefully on eBay you can stay under the $100 for the #22.
* Sailorbags Toiletry Kit, so she can pack all her toiletries in one place, easy to carry up to marina showers etc.
-- https://www.sailorbags.com/227-Sailc...nging-Dopp-Kit
* Small scale chart / satellite image of your whole local cruising area mounted on poster board to hang at home, for planning trips while you're at home
* Bomber travel coffee mug for morning coffee in cockpit / underway
* Was going to say really good warm gloves (she uses ice fishing gloves) but looks like you're in Texas
* Cruising guide for somewhere you want to charter... give someone a cruising guide to the BVI and you'll end up there soon enough

-- Bass
Old 12-06-2017, 09:33   #58

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

I might think of a nice personal log/diary that she can maintain and keep her notes in for future writings. Her own not another ships log. Any left over money give to her in the form of $20.00 bills. Cash is always hard to beat.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:57   #59

Boat: Various

Wifey B: We just celebrated my birthday and our wedding anniversary. Yes, same day of the year, just like his birthday is the same as the anniversary of the day we met.

He gives me everything I could possibly want all the time, but what made this special was he wrote a song and sang it to me. We both love music and expressed our love in music before we said the words. Then we went to the bedroom and watched our wedding ceremony. It's a bit unusual. Just us and three guests in Vegas and at least R-rated if not X-rated, then the video of our first two times making love our wedding night. No, not our first two times ever, just first two times that night. Our maid of honor/sister videoed for us.

A lot of people think because things are known they don't need to be said repeatedly. BS. We all benefit every time we're told we're loved if told some of the reasons why. We both brought something life changing to the other.

I think presents need to be very special and that doesn't mean expensive necessarily. Thought should go into them. Good presents make you want to scream in joy or cry in joy depending on your nature. Then the gift back to the one giving is seeing your face as you open or receive it.

So, ultimately, you need to give her something none of us would know she'd want or love. It could be something like she mentioned as you passed the Make a Bear store that she'd never had a Teddy Bear so you give her one. Or something you know she's eyed but she said, "Oh, I'm just being silly." Well, silly is good sometimes. The French restaurant she's always talked about but the two of you have never made it to because it's pricey plus not your normal food favorite. Only you can know what will be special to her.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 13:35   #60

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Avenger View Post
We may have "efficient equipment", but when was the last time a woman washed up on shore with her pants around her ankles?
Actually, considering how they would have to do it....I am surprised that more do not fall overboard. At least we are designed to whiz over the rail.

Joking people....Joking
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail