Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2016, 06:36   #346

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran
Re: Got a plastic classic?

i joined this group a while ago, but i don't yet have a plastic classic. i do however, have a question for the group. i plan on buying a Hughes 38 designed by S&S and built from 1969-1981. is this a plastic classic, even tho it has a reverse transom and a fin keel?
thanks
jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 07:11   #347

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
i joined this group a while ago, but i don't yet have a plastic classic. i do however, have a question for the group. i plan on buying a Hughes 38 designed by S&S and built from 1969-1981. is this a plastic classic, even tho it has a reverse transom and a fin keel?
thanks
jon
"Classic" depends on how old you are.
For example, when my son announced that they were having 80's days in school, he declared "It's a classic!". I, of course, corrected him, everyone knows 50's and 60's were classic eras. The 80's are just yesterday's news.
Old 16-10-2016, 08:26   #348
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What is a "classic" boat?

I like "traditional" "classic" and "antique" boats. But, what makes one qualify for any term like that? It is subjective (opinion), unless some kind of governing body (group or association or government agency or insurance company) has made some definitions.

When I was in High School, I drove a "classic" 1959 (Nash Metropolitan) auto to school that my father had completely restored. It was the oldest car in the parking lot and not everyone agreed it was a classic (it is an odd looking very small car, and had a two tone paint job, hood ornament, and a spare tire on the bumper). But I loved it.

It might help to take a look at how old cars are classified (in general by auto clubs):
_________

"All states waive certain fees and tests for vintage cars. Most states waive those same fees and tests for classic cars also. But determining whether you have a vintage or classic car can sometimes be confusing.

Antique car.
An antique car is a classification that is often set by state law. States often have a special type of license plate for these cars. For that reason they set rules stating what qualifies as "antique." In most cases it is a car that's over 45 years old. Generally the car should be maintained in a way that keeps it true to the original manufacturer specifications

Classic car.
This classification definitely overlaps with antique cars. The definition of classic car is actually quite similar to that of antique cars. A car must be at least 20 years old, but not more than 40 years old to be considered a classic car. It should again have been repaired and maintained in a way that keeps it true to its original design and specifications. In other words it should not be modified or altered. In addition, many add a stipulation that the vehicle should have been manufactured no earlier than 1925. For these reasons all classic cars are also antique cars, but not all antique cars are classic cars

Vintage car.
There is also overlap between vintage cars and antique cars. Some vintage cars quality as antique cars, but not all vintage cars are antique and vice versa. Different groups set different cut off points for what qualifies as a vintage car and what does not. Generally, cars that are considered Vintage were manufactured between the years of 1919 and 1930, but some end it at 1925. Unlike the other two classifications, having had modifications does not necessarily keep a car from being a vintage car."

SOURCE: Car Classifications: Antique, Vintage and Classic Car - CarsDirect
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 08:30   #349
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soton View Post
Attachment 132898

This is my Foxhound 24. Built by Copeland on the Isle of Wight around 1975 to 1980.
Has a direct drive Dolfin engine. The engine is a bit querky as you have to stop it and then reverse the engine to go astern.
Nice paint and name: red "Pepper"
Old 16-10-2016, 08:42   #350
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnTreader View Post
Hello, we sail and liveaboard a 1966 Allied Seawind Sloop. We completed a recent major refit and are back out cruising. A lot of awesome boats in this thread, love the pictures! Any other Seawinders out there?

www.sailingdawntreader.com
Ahoy DawnTreader!

I immediately noticed two things I like from those photos you posted:
1. White Paint interior.
2. Bomar Deck Hatch for Companionway Hatch.

Seeing those prompted me to follow the link to see more.

I followed your link, and spent some time reading your good blog, looking at the good refit (and hatch making) photos, and enjoyed reading your blog entries for your travels to the Azores. I also watched the video tour of your boat.

You have done an admirable job of refitting your boat, updating the interior (I think the change to white is a very good one) and your construction of watertight lockers and the hatch and the nesting dingy is all admirable too.

Well done! I suggest others will enjoy seeing your boat too.

Also, it is so nice to see a couple enjoying their boat and working as a team on the refit and obviously enjoying their cruising.

Small suggestion: Since the type of companionway hatch is unusual in USA boats (not unusual in some European one offs) I suggest showing a short video to demonstrate from outside and inside how you enter and exit the hatch when underway in a seaway (including opening and securing it) without it coming down on your head etc. I think that would be useful to others.

Fair Winds!
Old 16-10-2016, 20:05   #351

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
thanks
jon
Well since I am the one who started this I can confirm you definitely have a qualifying classic! One that was ahead of its time at that! ...and one that would be on my fairly short list of boats to drool over... Actually, the term "classic" in my mind, aside from what I put on the "Plastic Classics" group description, is one that we might all describe as an "oldie but a goodie."
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 21:16   #352

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30yearslater View Post
As I consider replacing my Atomic 4 in the next few years that type of engine would be near the top of my list. Direct drive from the engine crankshaft being a huge weight and maintenance advantage. I assume that is how it is set up. Less stuff = less stuff to break is an advantage I look for.
Problem is, as I see it, that with direct drive and small, yacht sized engines it is difficult to swing a decently sized prop. you end up with a little egg beater of a thing, and that leads to very poor performance.

Jim
Old 17-10-2016, 02:05   #353

Boat: Allied Seawind 30

Steady Hand, thanks for the wonderful feedback on our website. Your suggested video idea is especially appreciated! We have seen a couple of European boats with similar companionways, but they are usually built into the cabin instead of outside the cabin (into the cockpit). Although, I think Roger Taylor on MingMing 2 built his outside the cabin.

The cabin feels moor cheerful and light now that it is white, and best of all it is easy to keep clean.
DawnTreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 02:33   #354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Problem is, as I see it, that with direct drive and small, yacht sized engines it is difficult to swing a decently sized prop. you end up with a little egg beater of a thing, and that leads to very poor performance.

Jim
Yes it is a small prop (still the original) but it is matched to the boat and engine. Pushes along at hull speed so what more efficiency do you need.
Soton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 07:26   #355

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Well since I am the one who started this I can confirm you definitely have a qualifying classic! One that was ahead of its time at that! ...and one that would be on my fairly short list of boats to drool over... Actually, the term "classic" in my mind, aside from what I put on the "Plastic Classics" group description, is one that we might all describe as an "oldie but a goodie."
thanks Don. i happen to agree, but since the one im looking at was built in 1980, i was wondering what the group thought. However the Hughes 38 was designed to beat the CCA rule - witness the large overhangs and high length to beam ratio - 3.8. Check out my website: hughes38 dot com

jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 08:06   #356

Quote:
thanks Don. i happen to agree, but since the one im looking at was built in 1980, i was wondering what the group thought. However the Hughes 38 was designed to beat the CCA rule - witness the large overhangs and high length to beam ratio - 3.8. Check out my website: hughes38 dot com

jon
Seems to me there was someone on here who was cruising on H38 in the Caribbean, can't recall who though. You might do a search here for more like-minded souls...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 18-10-2016, 07:03   #357

Keep forgetting to mention, but if you are one who peruses this thread without comment, go ahead and post a greeting. You will then be subscribed to the thread and will see it pop up in your "User CP" when new postings come along. And leave a note at Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Plastic Classics also!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 18-10-2016, 19:02   #358

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00893.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	436.3 KB
ID:	133150

Name:	Carib 2011-2012 003.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	443.3 KB
ID:	133151Attached pictures of Tartan 43 CB- (1974) Same as Tartan 41 but with the original design of a traditional transom. Sparkman Stephens design so sails very well. Newer rig, There were 84 of this design series- 1971-1974.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	North Star ready to go.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	133152  
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 11:39   #359

Finally got some pictures of my classic taken from a friends boat, an Island Packet 31.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0916.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	303.7 KB
ID:	133235   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1016.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	349.3 KB
ID:	133236  

Name:	IMG_1019.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	350.4 KB
ID:	133237   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1100.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	407.0 KB
ID:	133238  

Name:	IMG_1149.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	133239  
30yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:58   #360

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Well, she's old enough to be a classic, 1974 HR35... not often recognized, but I love her. I feel lucky that I found a boat in original condition.