Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2017, 19:21   #406
Marine Service Provider

Re: Got a plastic classic?

My beloved westsail 32 fits in this group. How do we post photos?
svJasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 20:19   #407

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by svJasmine View Post
To post photos here on this thread just use the paperclip in the bar directly above the dialog box and then push the "choose file" button. Find the photo on your computer and select it. once you have chosen up to six photos hit "upload" and wait until they all load and then hit "submit reply" here. To move photos to the social group it is easiest to create an album in your personal profile of photos and then there is a button at the bottom of the screen, I believe, that says "move photos to group" or something like that, and then you select the photos and the group to move them to, "Plastic Classics." You have to join the group first to move photos to it. Select "Community" from the blue-green bar above. Find Plastic Classics, hit that and select "join group." Hope to see them soon!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 18:58   #408

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Ben. I've always wondered: in such ships, when making way, can they stop and restart the engine(s) in reverse, as in the proverbial crash stop to avoid running into something? Seems that t he torque from t he propellers would be hard to overcome...

Jim

BTW, I do know that the term "crash stop" is not descriptive when applied to a ship!
I was engineer on large tankers with direct drive large bore slow speed diesels. Sulzer RND 70's
Before taking arrival we indeed had to test gear. Swing rudder over with both steering gear motors and put engines astern to prove functions. Put enough compressed air into the cylinders with an air distributor and piping and it would overcome the water flow turning the propeller (27') and spin it backwards and start right up in reverse. Only problem was maneuvering forward and backwards for to long and running low on air. Two large multi stage air comps usually kept up O.K.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 06:49   #409

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

We have and sail our William Atkin Cutter "ROSA" primarily on Lake Pontchartrain and on the upper Gulf Coast. She is a one off "TALLY HO MAJOR", in glass, having been constructed in 1977, in MN. by Master Carpenter, Thomas Copeman, from whom we purchased her in 2005.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PREPARING TO DEPART.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	441.6 KB
ID:	143897   Click image for larger version

Name:	WONDERFUL SEA BOAT.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	431.2 KB
ID:	143898  

Old 25-03-2017, 11:56   #410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Bill View Post
I was engineer on large tankers with direct drive large bore slow speed diesels. Sulzer RND 70's
Before taking arrival we indeed had to test gear. Swing rudder over with both steering gear motors and put engines astern to prove functions. Put enough compressed air into the cylinders with an air distributor and piping and it would overcome the water flow turning the propeller (27') and spin it backwards and start right up in reverse. Only problem was maneuvering forward and backwards for to long and running low on air. Two large multi stage air comps usually kept up O.K.
I was on the sticks through both the suez and Panama canals. You learnt to be very frugal with the air.
Soton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 13:59   #411
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
My chosen method is to use a photo hosting site like Photobucket (no charge for basic use) and drag the IMG tag to the post on the Cruisers Forum.

I have always admired the robust Westsails!
Old 25-03-2017, 16:00   #412

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soton View Post
I was on the sticks through both the suez and Panama canals. You learnt to be very frugal with the air.
Went through Suez in 1980 when 1st reopened after Arab/ Israel war on USNS Spica T-AFS 9 Been through the Panama canal to many time to remember.
Hauling MTBE from Houston to L.A. for gasoline additive from 1990 - 99. Also
gasoline ,jet and diesel from west coast to Houston, Port Arthor and Baton Rouge.
Between that did 4 years hauling crude from Valdez and Nickiski AK. to lower 48. Winters were a bit harsh to say the least. That's when I really appreciated
the steam turbine ships with the control flat in the open right in front of the boilers. I remember one time in the locks the automation screwed up and throttles went to ahead while telegraph was in stop. We usually kept control in the E/R to prevent that sort of thing as the cones were not that adept on a good day. only problem was we hated filling out the bell book.
Have you made it to Diego Garcia? What runs were you on.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 12:30   #413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Bill View Post
Went through Suez in 1980 when 1st reopened after Arab/ Israel war on USNS Spica T-AFS 9 Been through the Panama canal to many time to remember.
Hauling MTBE from Houston to L.A. for gasoline additive from 1990 - 99. Also
gasoline ,jet and diesel from west coast to Houston, Port Arthor and Baton Rouge.
Between that did 4 years hauling crude from Valdez and Nickiski AK. to lower 48. Winters were a bit harsh to say the least. That's when I really appreciated
the steam turbine ships with the control flat in the open right in front of the boilers. I remember one time in the locks the automation screwed up and throttles went to ahead while telegraph was in stop. We usually kept control in the E/R to prevent that sort of thing as the cones were not that adept on a good day. only problem was we hated filling out the bell book.
Have you made it to Diego Garcia? What runs were you on.
I'm not as experienced as you bill. I did a couple of years deep sea with cp ships, bulk carriers mainly. Then did a couple of years on uk coasters (cowboy company, the ships were positivly dangerous).
Soton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:17   #414

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

A friend bought this MK1 Hughes 38 and posted this video to Youtube.

https://youtu.be/HPez5lmEbYY

enjoy

jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:54   #415
EEC

My new to me 1983 Baba 40

Name:	IMG_1460.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	145113

Name:	IMG_1594.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	145114

Name:	IMG_1405.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	145116Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1600.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	145117

Working on bringing her home to CT from GA, just left her in SC and dying to get back to her for the final leg home.

The previous owners took great care of her but some projects I already have in mind:

New canvas. Would love a hard dodger as I hate looking through the distorted clear plastic, but I'm afraid of taking away from her looks, any ideas?

Re-do the decks with kiwi grip or similar.
EEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:01   #416

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEC View Post
Awesome!

You can get the deck 'inexpensively' redone by a pro shop that can apply 'sand finish' over grp deck. I think they use some ulra-hard polyurethane paint and special fine sand for that. You end up with surfboard quality non-slip of any colour you like. If the prep is done well, the job looks boatyard quality.

And the acrylic panes can be replaced by any sailmaker. Minimum cost and good as new for 3 to 5 years depending on where you live. We replaced the acrylic in our old dodger and it did feel a huge change and well worth the minimum cash outlay.

Hard tops have some + and some -. Good to have one but think twice about how big / deep / high and what materials to use. The best stuff is probably done in sandwich composite.

You do want the best dodger of you fave style - if it rains a lot where you sail.

Very sweet boat! Congartulations!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:08   #417

Quote:
When you click 'reply to post' you will see the attachment symbol in the menu line, as shown. Click on it - a small window will pop-up, there click on 'browse', find the file, and then click on 'upload'. The result should be this:

And you can check if it attached well in the 'preview post' option button, under your reply.

Works?

b.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	145135  
Old 11-04-2017, 07:14   #418

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEOCAT66 View Post
We have and sail our William Atkin Cutter "ROSA" primarily on Lake Pontchartrain and on the upper Gulf Coast. She is a one off "TALLY HO MAJOR", in glass, having been constructed in 1977, in MN. by Master Carpenter, Thomas Copeman, from whom we purchased her in 2005.
OMG. What a beauty!

Only one exists?

How was she built? Female mold?

b.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:20   #419
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

Name:	IMG_0089.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	303.6 KB
ID:	145138

Here she is. The other woman.
svJasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:55   #420

Boat: Endurance 35,1981
Got a plastic classic?

My Endurance 35 Ketch full keel, strong tank !!!!

[ATTACH]

[ATTACH]

[ATTACH]

[ATTACH]

[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0006.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	145142   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1453.JPG