Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2016, 08:11   #46

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Got a plastic classic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by latka View Post
I live onboard my Cape Dory 36 "Sun Chaser" but ,being a bit of a caveman, I struggle to upload pics to this forum!?
Easier to do via a photo sharing site like photobucket or Flickr then try and upload directly in most cases.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:34   #47

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

9 mo. into a complete refit of a 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36. Hull 36 of 36 before the mold was altered to make the Cabo Rico 38.I have always loved Bill Crealock's designs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	340.9 KB
ID:	118139   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2608.jpg
Views:	839
Size:	437.9 KB
ID:	118140  

Name:	$_15.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	118141   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_16.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	118142  

Name:	$_12.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	118143  
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:43   #48

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwilk37 View Post
3 years into a complete bare-hull demo and mod. about 62.8% done...
Looks more like 63.7% to me...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:58   #49

Boat: 41' yawl

Here's my plastic classic, 1964 Rhodes Reliant built by Cheoy Lee.

Work I've done: New compression posts, couple new keel bolts, new rudder post (detachable from rudder on these boats! Tapered/keyed fitting), steering pedestal top-end rebuilt, exhaust system rebuilt, bilge bulkheads replaced, with new tabbing (embedded fiberglass plate into them so they are 3/8" thick tabs, then 4200 + bolted the bulkheads to that beefy tabbing), new aluminum fuel tank, new prop shaft, stern bearing house (+bearing), and stern tube... (Figured 50 years for an invisible piece of bronze hidden in some wood was good enough service life.) Some chainplates replaced, more to come, some standing rigging replaced, more to come... Added a bimini... Oh, and varnishing, and varnishing, and sanding, and varnishing, and scraping, and varnishing.

Work I'm doing this winter: Removed fasteners and and pulled teak from deck, for the most part they came up in one piece, boring out + plugging the old fastener holes, cutting new rabbets, repairing some core in the fiberglass deck underneath, sealing the ~1000 or so fastener holes in the deck, covering with a new layer of glass to be sure, and reapplying the old wood (still a good 3/8" thick) with TDS bonding epoxy. Also having a new aluminum main mast made by Klacko in Canada. And varnishing. and sanding, and varnishing, and scraping, and varnishing.

One of these days I'll get to improving the creature comforts!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2856.JPG
Views:	572
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	118144   Click image for larger version

Name:	407515_427249910677538_1224069795_n.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	118146  

chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:25   #50

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme53 View Post
Looking forward to sailing my 1968 Albin designed Corinthian 19 again this summer after some much needed upgrades. New mainsail, kicker, refurbished cuddy and brightwork. And I am even adding rear oarlock and have made a sculling oar. Spring can't come to soon.
Yep...she's an Alberg. Could be the twin sister to our first boat, a Cape Dory Typhoon. The only differences were in the finishing details. Lovely boat, and boy do they sail nice.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:28   #51

Diane (Cimarron), your Downeast is a beauty also. And, Latka, nothing prettier to me eye than a Cape Dory.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:35   #52

Got a plastic classic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhulmer View Post
9 mo. into a complete refit of a 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36. Hull 36 of 36 before the mold was altered to make the Cabo Rico 38.I have always loved Bill Crealock's designs.
Pretty boat. Funny you should mention the "hull being altered to make the CR-38." We owned that very first 38. She was sold as a kit boat to a young couple named Ben and Helen Harrison. They had the hull and deck hauled to a piece of land in the mountains in Costa Rica and finished her out there. They have just released a book about it called Sailing Down the Mountain. They wanted an aft cockpit and so Bill Crealock designed a "bustle" on the back of the Tiburon to make it work, and the 38 was born. This was in 1975. They called that hull #0. The next one built was called hull #1. Our Cabo started life as La Dulce Mujer Pintada, but we renamed her Second Wind. I'll try to dig up a picture.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:40   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Looks more like 63.7% to me...
LMAO!

There's so much awesome in this thread it deserves this:

Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:45   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
Here's my plastic classic, 1964 Rhodes Reliant built by Cheoy Lee.
Wow....what a beauty. And it sounds like you are doing everything needed to keep her that way for many years to come. I just love seeing boats like this one out on the water. They don't just turn heads, they break necks.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:57   #55

Boat: Douglas 32

My Plastic Classic: Douglas 32, Built in London Ontario Canada in 1973 ( a beefier Alberg 30 ).

The Douglas 31 was Ted Brewer's first design after he left Bill Luder's shipyard In 1967 and established Brewer, Wallstrom & Associates, Inc. in Brooklin, Maine. The design is based on concepts Ted formed while working and sailing with Bill Luders on STORM and the Luders 33. Ted's partner, Bob Wallstrom subsequently founded the Yacht Design Institute, and is now part of the Maine Maritime Academy at Castine Maine."

The design was heavily influenced by Cruising Club of America (CCA) offshore racing rules. As such, they have narrow beams, a relatively heavy displacement, moderate ballast and the graceful overhangs that were prevalent among boats of the era. The result is a beautiful, sea-kindly boat that is initially tender, but which firms up once heeled. Heeling provides more hull in the water, and this additional waterline results in greater speed. She is given high marks for seaworthiness, has made several successful ocean crossings, and has weathered big storms.

Jeffrey White of North American Fibreglas Mouldings Ltd. in London, Ontario acquired at least one set of Douglas 31 hull and deck molds, and modified them with a reverse transom designed by Ted Brewer to create the Douglas 32.

There were about 80 to 155 of these built by multiple manufacturers, I have owned two of them.

The first owners of Kemana sailed it for 7 years in the Pacific, visiting Hawaii, Fuji, New Zealand, Tasmania, Indonesia, bringing it back to Canada through the Panama, and up the east coast to Kingston.

Sailboat Data Link: DOUGLAS 31/32 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Sadly, the Douglas Owners site has disappeared off the internet, and can only be seen in the way back machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20150304...m/index-2.html
If any Douglas owners are interested, I can work on making another web site with the contents of the old site ( I saved all the pages back in 2014 ).

I have other Douglas Owner member photos of 'STATION OMEGA', 'Argonauta', 'BRIGSTAR II', 'Aderyn Môr', 'FOREPLAY', 'SNOWBIRD V', 'WHISKY RUN', 'NAIAD IV', 'Little Sister', 'JOSH', 'SEAQUEST', 'WILDHEART', 'TARA', 'Ariel', 'Solong', 'Rebel'.

Photo:
Kim Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:13   #56

Boat: '76 Heritage West Indies 36 Morgan design

West Indies 36, 1976 , Morgan design
Please go to my Album to see details...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Heritage West Indies 36 1977.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	118149  
Old 01-02-2016, 10:15   #57

Boat: Endurance 37

1977 Endurance 37. Plastic classic?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PA040231.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	418.9 KB
ID:	118148  
Paul Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:40   #58

Boat: Cape Dory 36, Benford 35

Name:	1445892309520.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	118154

here she is,patiently waiting for a total repaint.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1445892306070.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	118155  
latka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:10   #59

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gregory View Post
My Plastic Classic: Douglas 32, Built in London Ontario Canada in 1973 ( a beefier Alberg 30 ).

The Douglas 31 was Ted Brewer's first design after he left Bill Luder's shipyard In 1967 and established Brewer, Wallstrom & Associates, Inc. in Brooklin, Maine. The design is based on concepts Ted formed while working and sailing with Bill Luders on STORM and the Luders 33. Ted's partner, Bob Wallstrom subsequently founded the Yacht Design Institute, and is now part of the Maine Maritime Academy at Castine Maine."

The design was heavily influenced by Cruising Club of America (CCA) offshore racing rules. As such, they have narrow beams, a relatively heavy displacement, moderate ballast and the graceful overhangs that were prevalent among boats of the era. The result is a beautiful, sea-kindly boat that is initially tender, but which firms up once heeled. Heeling provides more hull in the water, and this additional waterline results in greater speed. She is given high marks for seaworthiness, has made several successful ocean crossings, and has weathered big storms.

Jeffrey White of North American Fibreglas Mouldings Ltd. in London, Ontario acquired at least one set of Douglas 31 hull and deck molds, and modified them with a reverse transom designed by Ted Brewer to create the Douglas 32.

There were about 80 to 155 of these built by multiple manufacturers, I have owned two of them.

The first owners of Kemana sailed it for 7 years in the Pacific, visiting Hawaii, Fuji, New Zealand, Tasmania, Indonesia, bringing it back to Canada through the Panama, and up the east coast to Kingston.

Sailboat Data Link: DOUGLAS 31/32 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Sadly, the Douglas Owners site has disappeared off the internet, and can only be seen in the way back machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20150304...m/index-2.html
If any Douglas owners are interested, I can work on making another web site with the contents of the old site ( I saved all the pages back in 2014 ).

I have other Douglas Owner member photos of 'STATION OMEGA', 'Argonauta', 'BRIGSTAR II', 'Aderyn Môr', 'FOREPLAY', 'SNOWBIRD V', 'WHISKY RUN', 'NAIAD IV', 'Little Sister', 'JOSH', 'SEAQUEST', 'WILDHEART', 'TARA', 'Ariel', 'Solong', 'Rebel'.

Photo:
with no intention to offend anyone, as all are beautiful boat.... mainly built in plastic but after a " woody" one-day...

Well, I think this one is the one most catching my eyes :-)... Soo sexy!

PS My Boat is built in 1989, it is just classic to me :-)
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:32   #60
cruiser

Great thread. In my opinion, the CCA rule boats were the high water mark of yacht design. Alden, Rhodes, Stephens, Hunt and many others. Their boats...so beautiful...

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote