Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2019, 20:23   #616

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Got a plastic classic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Able34 View Post
Just completed our second season with this 1990 Able 34 Cutter. She is serial number 15, a slightly extended version of the Whistler 32.
Beautiful. Welcome aboard Able34!
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 08:08   #617

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Able34 View Post
Just completed our second season with this 1990 Able 34 Cutter. She is serial number 15, a slightly extended version of the Whistler 32.
OH! what a beauty!!! what a gorgeous boat!

i long-time lusted over an Able 34. she is still on on the market. she is on the other side of the world and the asking price might be a bit steep.... in any case, i look her up every so often with the hope that someone rescued her from the dock.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...is-34-3501470/
Old 08-11-2019, 15:04   #618

Boat: Able 34 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post

i long-time lusted over an Able 34. she is still on on the market. she is on the other side of the world and the asking price might be a bit steep.... in any case, i look her up every so often with the hope that someone rescued her from the dock.

I like Chuck Paine’s designs. Thought I wanted a Hinckley Pilot. Looked at several, but decided they are a bit tight below. The Able has a very comfortable V-berth and the head is big enough. The quarter berth is great as a garage. These are features the Pilot lacks. The Pilot cockpit may be longer. Sailing performance is similar. The shallow draft of the Able is a plus on the Chesapeake. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think they are both attractive and built to a high standard.
Able34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 15:23   #619

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post

Maybe this is your boat.... 50/55K ??? Just need to get rid of the wheel and put a tiller in.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 16:13   #620

Boat: whitby 45

Here is my Plastic Classic 1968 Whitby 45 hauled out at Bock Marine on our way home after wonderful winter in Bahamas. recent work I have done is rebuild our westerbeke 4 107 complete paint job of decks and hull all sprayed outdoors. lots of varnish and all new rigging . This winter we will drop rudder to fix a few issues rebuild the ice box , fix some soft spots on the deck and inspect keel bolts. She spent most of her days in the great lakes with some very caring owners so she is really in good shape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190421_113602.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	427.8 KB
ID:	202861  
mvzenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 21:55   #621

For all you new folks who recently joined, if you have one of the older boats, you may find some useful tips in this group!

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Plastic Classics
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 23-02-2020, 13:19   #622

249 members in the Plastic Classics Social Group! One more we all qualify for the vintage 50s salmon colored winch covers and a phenolic snatch block!

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...+classics.html
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 23-02-2020, 16:37   #623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
249 members in the Plastic Classics Social Group! One more we all qualify for the vintage 50s salmon colored winch covers and a phenolic snatch block!

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...+classics.html
I'm in. Not sure if mine's a true plastic classic but it sure feels like one with all the dark teak inside. Hey, I even have some old bakelite blocks somewhere in one of the cubbies.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2020, 06:11   #624

Cruisers Forum Supporter

SV/Shamrock, a 1977 Allied XL 42 , NC. Photo by James S. Sheegog, Wrightsville Beach, NC
rowhillnth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:09   #625

Anyone have a Tartan 27 for sale?
Brettsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:43   #626

Yes, Do I have a classic plastic!!

I recently bought a property in Florida which belonged to an old friend of mine.
Included with the property was the boat.

It is Hull #1 Morgan 42-1 original owner Charlie Morgan.
I believe my friend was the 2nd owner since 1987.
The boat was raced in the 1970 SORC by Charlie himself, don't know the result.

It is sitting on a steel shipping cradle engulfed by a pepper tree and has been there since 2005 when it was hauled right before the three major hurricanes of that time.

The boat is available to anyone wanting a project with history, the alternative is to scrap it, which considering its history, would be a shame.
the boat is structurally sound, but requires refitting.
A fair amount of equipment is still in storage, sails anchors, chain, lines, bimini etc.

The boat is Free of Charge, removing it would be the responsibility of the buyer.

PM me if interested.
PeterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:51   #627
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettsails View Post
Anyone have a Tartan 27 for sale?
where at ?
There is one in my marina that has been on the market for a year now
Old 02-03-2020, 13:30   #628

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
Yes, Do I have a classic plastic!!

I recently bought a property in Florida which belonged to an old friend of mine.
Included with the property was the boat.

It is Hull #1 Morgan 42-1 original owner Charlie Morgan.
I believe my friend was the 2nd owner since 1987.
The boat was raced in the 1970 SORC by Charlie himself, don't know the result.

It is sitting on a steel shipping cradle engulfed by a pepper tree and has been there since 2005 when it was hauled right before the three major hurricanes of that time.

The boat is available to anyone wanting a project with history, the alternative is to scrap it, which considering its history, would be a shame.
the boat is structurally sound, but requires refitting.
A fair amount of equipment is still in storage, sails anchors, chain, lines, bimini etc.

The boat is Free of Charge, removing it would be the responsibility of the buyer.

PM me if interested.
Wow! Of course there is considerable expense in moving it, but for some lucky person who appreciates that boat, and it’s provenance, it’s an amazing find!! You might consider posting this over in the thread called “free or close to free.”
Old 27-03-2020, 16:33   #629

This came up in the Under 30K thread, for anyone in who likes the classics, check this one out. Bulit in '73 it says, but I think it must be earlier, Islander 44, I bet it's stout!
https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/...085358347.html
I'd sure check it if I were in HI.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 17-04-2020, 15:07   #630

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
Here's my plastic classic, 1964 Rhodes Reliant built by Cheoy Lee.

Work I've done: New compression posts, couple new keel bolts, new rudder post (detachable from rudder on these boats! Tapered/keyed fitting), steering pedestal top-end rebuilt, exhaust system rebuilt, bilge bulkheads replaced, with new tabbing (embedded fiberglass plate into them so they are 3/8" thick tabs, then 4200 + bolted the bulkheads to that beefy tabbing), new aluminum fuel tank, new prop shaft, stern bearing house (+bearing), and stern tube... (Figured 50 years for an invisible piece of bronze hidden in some wood was good enough service life.) Some chainplates replaced, more to come, some standing rigging replaced, more to come... Added a bimini... Oh, and varnishing, and varnishing, and sanding, and varnishing, and scraping, and varnishing.

Work I'm doing this winter: Removed fasteners and and pulled teak from deck, for the most part they came up in one piece, boring out + plugging the old fastener holes, cutting new rabbets, repairing some core in the fiberglass deck underneath, sealing the ~1000 or so fastener holes in the deck, covering with a new layer of glass to be sure, and reapplying the old wood (still a good 3/8" thick) with TDS bonding epoxy. Also having a new aluminum main mast made by Klacko in Canada. And varnishing. and sanding, and varnishing, and scraping, and varnishing.

One of these days I'll get to improving the creature comforts!
Hi Chris your Reliant looks great and I read that you have done major work on her my name is Juan Sebastian I found last year a cheoy Lee offshore 40 1965 left to die . I been working on it. She has the rudder like the Rhodes reliant, I need to remove the rudder for major repair. Can you give me some info on how to pull it off? I dobt have much resources so iam doing this while on the water, Thanks
Juan h is offline   Reply With Quote