Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2020, 19:20   #76

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Greetings OZ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Hmm... it seems I was aware of the GDR after all and thus mentioned it previously - perhaps you missed it

Good. No go check them out on Google Earth
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 20:41   #77

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to fully read my posts - I don't expect others to agree with them but I do expect the post to read as written.

Hey, you bad, it appears you're expecting both literacy and comprehension, in my experience the two don't necessarily go hand in hand.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 21:41   #78

Boat: currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
On the other thread about the Australian Bushfires, Wotname posted a link to the only existing study of arson in Australia. It shows that setting of bushfires is difficult to identify the starters, and difficult to get convictions for. It is an offence under the Arson heading, rather than being considered treason by attacking the nation through its national forests, at a time when we all need trees for oxygen. Mine is way too simplistic a notion to be really meaningful. I just feel so ANGRY thinking about people setting fires for their own jollies.

Bushfire arson probably is deserving of study as a separate phenomenon from "regular" arson, which may be an effort at avoiding detection of another crime. BUT, locating and convicting the perpetrator can be impossible, so I really don't think the idea is practical.

Here's something to consider, though, and it could give the company good publicity. Eden was expecting a cruise ship tomorrow. Think a cruise ship could take the remaining 3,000 refugees from Malacoota? Think it could take supplies to Eden, and other coastal towns? Would they do it for the publicity value? [I'm not the first person to be thinking this stuff, either.]

The existing drought will definitely limit recovery. This is our new world. Gamayun's right, and it's scary.

Ann
Gday Ann
without going into my history there are some incorrect statements in Wotnames post. There are most definately more then one study on Arson here in Australia. I have studied many of them and also quite a few studies on wild fires as well has other types of fires. I have been involved in bushfires, too many house and car fires as well as chemical fires. I can only speak for what occurs in New South Wales as each state has their own legislation relating to such events.
Arson or fire investigation are by narture very difficult to undertake but can be straight forward or a high degree of difficulty. The proofs for charging an arsonist are straight forward. The penatly will always depend on cirmcustannces put before the court and will never be sufficient IMO for the most severe of cases. I think you will find what Police want and what happens in the court are two very different things. In the unthinkable circumstance where someone would die as a result of a deliberatley lit fire of any kind the charge would normally include murder or manslaughter as well as arson which increases the penalty.

Greg H
Lagoon 440
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 22:54   #79
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Hey, you bad, it appears you're expecting both literacy and comprehension, in my experience the two don't necessarily go hand in hand.
Yeah, my bad - it's a lot to ask I know - silly me!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 01:26   #80

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
Gday Ann
without going into my history there are some incorrect statements in Wotnames post. There are most definately more then one study on Arson here in Australia. I have studied many of them and also quite a few studies on wild fires as well has other types of fires. I have been involved in bushfires, too many house and car fires as well as chemical fires. I can only speak for what occurs in New South Wales as each state has their own legislation relating to such events.

Exactly.

The Australian Institute of Criminology published at least a half dozen studies on bushfire arson in Aus. See, for example (with links to download AIC reports): https://aic.gov.au/publications/bfab/bfab059

And the AIC was just one of the federal government agencies to produce reports on bushfire arson.

In the Aus version of federalism, fire is a state issue. So state government agencies and university academics are more productive players in the game.
Old 05-01-2020, 01:31   #81

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Ars Technica has a nice story on causative factors behind Aus bushfires today: https://arstechnica.com/science/2020...-fire-weather/
Old 05-01-2020, 03:59   #82

Boat: Island Packet 40

DOM "normalization" of temperature data.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf very-hot-days-datasets-static.pdf (186.3 KB, 24 views)
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:20   #83

@El Ping.

How things down at the campo now?
And how is Capt Jack?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 06-01-2020, 03:56   #84

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
@El Ping.

How things down at the campo now?
And how is Capt Jack?
All a bit surreal last two days .... yesterday AM visibility was down to 100 metres or less in smoke... took a while to find the cows....lifted later to about 400 metres. Today went to Albury... vis still well under a kilometre with smoke and light rain....
Nice and cool. Alerts and stuff on the radio being downgraded. Forecasting hot Nlys for the end of the week... not out of the woods yet.
All missing people in Vic accounted for...only 2 deaths.
Very much a 'slow burn' compared with 2009.... people had time to evacuate and take things a lot more seriously.
Coming back from Albury passed small convoy of CFA tankers presumably heading for the Corryong fires... all were from brigades in the Ballarat area.

Jack has his voice back.. I think I am losing mine...constant sore throat.
Maybe we see the sun tomorrow...that would be nice.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:01   #85

^^ I forgot to ask, have the campo crew returned?

And thanks for the report
Old 06-01-2020, 11:42   #86

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
^^ I forgot to ask, have the campo crew returned?

And thanks for the report
Never left.... decision made by them to stay. No fear of pre-existing fires... only risk was a new one starting like the one on the highway at Euroa.
Vis about 500 metres this morning... eyes smarting a bit.

Tags
grass