Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2024, 11:51   #61
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Growing ChatGPT use on the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post

I have become EXTREMLY suspicions about another thread that is trending the past week. I don't want to call it out because it's much more difficult to tell. But the more I think about it, the more it seems an AI is targeting a very specific goal, and blending in as a real human in a much more natural way.

I think too many people are too sure of themselves that they can always spot an AI, without realizing they are integrating with them daily and don't realize.
Again, please report any concerns by using the 'report post' function located near the bottom LHS of every post. ATM, while AI posts are not permitted, they do occur.

The moderators can't read every post every day, we rely on members reporting potential issues. We do look at every report though!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 12:43   #62

Q: Do you accept all cookies?

Me: Yes, chocolate chip, ginger, sugar, Oreos, Fortune, Macaron, Butter.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 12:47   #63

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	muffins.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	285999  
Old 03-02-2024, 12:49   #64

Nautical speech:

AI, AI Captain!
Old 03-02-2024, 14:33   #65
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

“Siri, is my computer safe from hackers?”

Siri: “Da”

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 22:35   #66

Boat: Privilege 435

Quote:
It does appear from OpenAI documentation that yes, ChatGPT honors robots.tx.

When I say ChatGPT or another AI is scraping a site, yes you are correct it doesn't happen exactly that way. Some script is scrapping the site, and using that for date for a fine tuning. It isn't ChatGPT directly. ChatGPT doesn't have access to the Internet at all, everything it knows ends January 2022 unless augmented with finetuning data or function calls.

The scraping isn't the problem. The problem is what the AI is used for after it has that data. And, (via a script) posting on this site is happening. And I am not sure it is all obvious.

I have become EXTREMLY suspicions about another thread that is trending the past week. I don't want to call it out because it's much more difficult to tell. But the more I think about it, the more it seems an AI is targeting a very specific goal, and blending in as a real human in a much more natural way.

I think too many people are too sure of themselves that they can always spot an AI, without realizing they are integrating with them daily and don't realize.

Actually, ChatGPT can access the web directly now. You just have to ask it to.
Old 04-02-2024, 00:36   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Q: Do you accept all cookies?
Me: Yes, chocolate chip, ginger, sugar, Oreos, Fortune, Macaron, Butter.
Speaking of which:
Why are cookies called cookies, and bacon is called bacon; but, you have to bake cookies, and cook bacon?
It's like that Parkway / Driveway mess up, all over again!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 02:17   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

FWIW: I understand that many of us, typically, block "cookies".
However, when visiting British sites, you may want to [also] watch out for "biscuits".

Old 04-02-2024, 03:33   #69
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

AI runs on computers [a lot of them], hosted in data centres around the world.
As the AI models run, they need electricity.

One study [1] suggests, that every time AI generates an image, it's using enough energy, to charge a smart phone.

Google once estimated [2], that an average online search used 0.3 watt-hours of electricity, equivalent to driving 0.0003 miles in a car. Today, that number is likely much higher, because Google has integrated generative AI models into its search

According to some estimates [3], popular models, such as ChatGPT have up to 10 million users a day, many of whom prompt the model more than once.

More about: “Making an image with generative AI uses as much energy as charging your phone” ~ by Melissa Heikkilä [MIT Technoogy Review, Dec. 2023]
https://www.technologyreview.com/202...ng-your-phone/

Quote:
This is the first time the carbon emissions caused by using an AI model for different tasks have been calculated...
... Generating images was by far the most energy- and carbon-intensive AI-based task. Generating 1,000 images with a powerful AI model, such as Stable Diffusion XL, is responsible for roughly as much carbon dioxide as driving the equivalent of 4.1 miles in an average gasoline-powered car. In contrast, the least carbon-intensive text generation model they examined was responsible for as much CO2 as driving 0.0006 miles in a similar vehicle...
https://www.technologyreview.com/202...ng-your-phone/

[1] “Power Hungry Processing: Watts Driving the Cost of AI Deployment?” ~ by ALEXANDRA SASHA LUCCIONI et al
https://arxiv.org/pdf/2311.16863.pdf

[2] “Google Details, and Defends, Its Use of Electricity”
https://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/09/t...ectricity.html

[3] “AI chatbots lose money every time you use them. That is a problem.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...t-gpu-compute/

Old 06-02-2024, 02:17   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

An [un-named] multinational firm, in Hong Kong, is out 200 million Hong Kong dollars (around $34.5 million Canadian), after a financial worker, at the company, was targeted by scammers, using artificial intelligence, culminating in a phony video conference call, with numerous deepfake colleagues.
More ➥ https://globalnews.ca/news/10273167/...-hong-kong-ai/

Old 06-02-2024, 07:00   #71

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
...culminating in a phony video conference call, with numerous deepfake colleagues...
I sometimes get the scam e-mail purporting to be from a top executive, asking me to do something stupid, which generally involves sending money or other key information.

This elevates the scam to a whole new level. I imagine I'd recognize a deep fake of a colleague, but in a big corporation most people don't know the top brass very well, and of course in video conferences they may appear stiff and formal anyway.

Maybe in future conference calls we all need to hold up pictures of motorcycles or crosswalks and ask the other participants to identify them.

Fortunately I'm not important enough for anyone to go to that much trouble to scam me.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 07:35   #72

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Fortunately I'm not important enough for anyone to go to that much trouble to scam me.
I've mostly worked for very small companies and nonprofits with not enough money to be of interest to most scammers, but I learned that some people are just not skeptical or observant and they are easy marks for even some very basic scams. As the ED of a small nonprofit I managed to avoid several scams that other employees believed. Just recently I received some phishing emails that looked totally legit, even when I took a look at the code. My conclusion is that they have taken over legit email addresses and links at the company the message is coming from. They only need to find one person with the right credentials and they are in. It must be very difficult protecting large companies.
Old 06-02-2024, 08:37   #73

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I've mostly worked for very small companies and nonprofits with not enough money to be of interest to most scammers, but I learned that some people are just not skeptical or observant and they are easy marks for even some very basic scams. As the ED of a small nonprofit I managed to avoid several scams that other employees believed. Just recently I received some phishing emails that looked totally legit, even when I took a look at the code. My conclusion is that they have taken over legit email addresses and links at the company the message is coming from. They only need to find one person with the right credentials and they are in. It must be very difficult protecting large companies.
I work at a large company, about 11,000 employees at about 200 locations, in I.T. at one of those locations (but not at corporate or in security)

We do have a very through security plan. Part of that is training that every employee goes through on how to identify threats. Then, we have several companies "spam" us with different schemes that match the types of threats in the wild. If an employee opens one or clicks a link, it flags them for additional training related to that threat.

The individual PC's themselves are also very carefully monitored, to a level that many don't know even exists. The processes running on the machines are monitored, and if one of them does anything suspicious, if the user clicks on a rouge link, or if any malware is found, the PC is locked and I am sent an email to erase and reimage it. Important is it isn't only following definitions, but monitoring what the processes actually do. If a registry change is detected, if certain settings are changed, certain types of network activity generated. Those will trigger it even if no known malware is found.

User location activity is monitored. If a user uses a VPN other than the one we provide, if a user logs into a location outside "normal" for that user, or if a user is traveling and logs into 2 locations impossibly far apart to physically achieve that, their account is locked and we get an email to investigate and have the user change passwords.
Old 06-02-2024, 08:44   #74

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I sometimes get the scam e-mail purporting to be from a top executive, asking me to do something stupid, which generally involves sending money or other key information.

This elevates the scam to a whole new level. I imagine I'd recognize a deep fake of a colleague, but in a big corporation most people don't know the top brass very well, and of course in video conferences they may appear stiff and formal anyway.

Maybe in future conference calls we all need to hold up pictures of motorcycles or crosswalks and ask the other participants to identify them.

It's the unimportant people that are the vector into a system. They get control of your PC without you knowing it, then in the background work their way up to another person, or another PC. Until some more important person is compromised. Then the hacker, working from that account sends an email to IT about some "problem" and manipulates IT in a way that grants them access to root on a server. Sometimes it takes months of effort. But never think you are too small.
Old 06-02-2024, 08:51   #75

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
It's the unimportant people that are the vector into a system...
True, but my point was that nobody is going to set up an entire virtual reality world, populated with believable deep fakes of my colleagues, just to get their hands on the paltry resources of the non-profits I volunteer for...

...yet.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote