Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2015, 11:13   #1

Boat: Formosa 65
Has anyone any experience with predict wind and iridium Go while offshore and outside

Has anyone any experience with Predict Wind and iridium Go while offshore and outside of mobile phone network range

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Mike trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 19:00   #2

Re: Has anyone any experience with predict wind and iridium Go while offshore and out

Yes since October 2014 Block Island to Grenada and will be heading back this May

Block Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:42   #3

Re: Has anyone any experience with predict wind and iridium Go while offshore and out

Just got back from the Caribbean and used Predictwind and Iridium Go it is the best weather router that I have used. Four days three hours from Bermuda to Block Island yes it is great.

Block Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:35   #4

Boat: Valiant 40-169

Perhaps of related interest, Predict Wind has a free program called Predict Wind Offshore. You use it to generate a grib file request for the area you select from the base map in the program. You then send this request to Predict Wind by sat phone or HF radio and a short while later you download the grib file to view on your grib viewer. To use it with HF radio you send an email to Predict Wind with the grib file request as an attachment. When you next download emails you will get the grib file. I don't know if these grib files are any more accurate than others available. One would have to determine that for the area they were sailing in.
gordwedman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, iridium, offshore, wind