Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2021, 08:56   #1

Boat: sabre 456 and leopard 42
Hate your boat?

I can’t recall every reading a post where the owner has said they hated their previously or currently owned boat and would never buy it again. Curious if anyone will admit to this and provide reason(s).
sowwaninii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 09:20   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Hate your boat?

Boats are like spouses. You have a REALLY vested interest in loving them!

I felt certain love for our ex. She had beautiful lines, and was built like a brick house. Had an excellent navigation station. Took good care of us for 20 years. But she sailed like a pig.

Current boat is worlds better in that regard. Has other shining virtues. But has her own drawbacks. So boats are kind of like people.

And - changing them is almost as expensive as divorce Therefore, loving them and learning to overlook their drawbacks can make a lot of sense!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 10:56   #3

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

Not to mention that there’s often a real actual spouse completely and irretrievably mixed up into the gluey soup we find ourselves stuck in enjoying. Mmmm this soup is delicious....
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 11:48   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowwaninii View Post
I can’t recall every reading a post where the owner has said they hated their previously or currently owned boat and would never buy it again. Curious if anyone will admit to this and provide reason(s).
My first boat was a 1988 Cal-39. It was an OK boat, but I wouldn't buy one again. In fact I knew within the first 3 months I didn't really like it, but hung on to it for 2 years till I found my current boat
Old 22-05-2021, 11:56   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Boats are like spouses. You have a REALLY vested interest in loving them!

I felt certain love for our ex. She had beautiful lines, and was built like a brick house. Had an excellent navigation station. Took good care of us for 20 years. But she sailed like a pig.

Current boat is worlds better in that regard. Has other shining virtues. But has her own drawbacks. So boats are kind of like people.

And - changing them is almost as expensive as divorce Therefore, loving them and learning to overlook their drawbacks can make a lot of sense!
GREAT post.

I read a lotnof folks who buy a boat expecting to sell it. I understand we are all different and that I am in the distinct minority BUT I have a life ling commitment to both boats. I don’t understand how it can be otherwise. Like a long marriage, there is a lot of sunk cost, and a lot of future losses upon dissolution of relationship. Huh, maybe that is why it is called relationSHIP?

I dont love or hate my boats, we coexist, they need me, I need them, we work well together.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 12:10   #6

Boat: 1987 Pearson 39-2

Talk to the people who claim that selling a boat is a happy day. We had trouble selling our trailer sailor and so hadn't sailed her in about a year after buying the big boat. Still cried when she left. We have even visited her in her new harbor, which is a convenient stop along the coast.
SeaStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 12:51   #7

We had an ‘85 Newport 28 MkII. Loved it, did a lot of work to it, but god was it a tank. Slower than molasses. Previous owner was trying to outfit it for a Bermuda trip before he realized more boat made sense. It was HEAVY after all of his add-ons. Made like 3kts at full bore with the diesel. You could see 6 under sail, but it needed to be very windy.

Sad seeing it go, but I’d never go back.
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 13:15   #8

Do outboards count? I bought a Crews Craft 17 foot center console that was a piece of crap when I was in my 20's. It was heavy without being sturdy, low transom that was scary due to minimal freeboard, the console was so short you had to stoop down low to drive it, and the idiot that built it decided that the keel should be reinforced with numerous 1 to 2 foot long pieces of wood, glassed over, instead of, I don't know, how about a 2 x 12? There was no inspection port to the bilge, but I had to have a hole cut to see why the boat was leaking from the keel between two such short pieces of wood, (from the flexing). It was everything the boats I used at work were not - they were Boston Whalers.

I had the very heavy deck replaced after a proper stringer was put in, made it much better and lighter but it still was a POS.
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 13:24   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
My first boat was a 1988 Cal-39. It was an OK boat, but I wouldn't buy one again. In fact I knew within the first 3 months I didn't really like it, but hung on to it for 2 years till I found my current boat

2 years??!! Boy, you are fast. I've never owned a boat for less than a couple of decades. It takes one decade to even start to get it the way you want it, and start to see whether it's going to work out.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2021, 14:08   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
2 years??!! Boy, you are fast. I've never owned a boat for less than a couple of decades. It takes one decade to even start to get it the way you want it, and start to see whether it's going to work out.
well it takes less time if you realize you don't want to "get it the way you want" and that it is better to move on instead

but I have had this boat 10 years and am still "getting it the way you want" because I liked it right off

Tags
boat