Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2015, 17:07   #1

Have to put this out there

I'm from the old forums.. I was told by many it was crazy and fool-hearted to do the ICW in a 8x30 foot houseboat. I shut up because, I believe in listening to advice but frankly, those who said, you can do it with no problem, were , in fact, RIGHT and I am sitting in Marathon proving them correct.

More IMPORTANT is the discrimination here in the keys against houseboats and I've now made it my charge to chip away at this. I dare anyone on this forum to call the Marathon Marina (Who is the primary contact for houseboat.org) or Bourdines Marina and tell them you would like some winter dockage for your small 8x30 houseboat!!! I double dog dare you to tell them you will pay up front the three months plus give them a 5000.00 security deposit so they know your not a derelict boater like I did. I made reservations at the Marathon Marina with Judy in November and as soon as she found out I had a houseboat, I was fully denied access and to this day my deposit (left in November) has not been returned. YES- I have hired an attorney and YES we are chipping at this but I was already 7 days away when I was technically evicted for having a cruiser that looks like a houseboat!!! I say cruiser because it was custom built for the ICW and clearly did very well. I used to own a sail boat and pulled 3 out of the mud along the ICW! Maybe this is an issue that a group of like-minded house boaters should look into? I have the money and resources to hit this on a local level but what if I didn't? When did houseboats become "NOT WELCOME"?? Is my money less green? Are they afraid I won't use their dryers and hang my Calvins on the upper deck? Are they jealous, I have enough room to entertain 12 hooter girls on the upper deck.....??? If you doubt what I have to say, go to active captain, dial in Burdines or Marathon Marina (not the municipal one) and tell them you need a dock for a month. Let me know how that works for you. Sorry I'm a bit irritated but my title did say I'm here to shake things up!!!ps- At this late date-try to get reservations for a "small" houseboat anywhere in the Marathon area??? Just giving ya'll all something to really think about !!
BTW- The boat is coast guard approved, insured by Boat US and I am a boating instructor along with being with the USCG Aux.
jsj248 is offline   Reply With Quote