Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 21:01   #16

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Re: Help Me Get Started On The Right Foot !

As you've no doubt gathered, there's no such thing as one-size-fits-all advice, but you can mesh what works for others with your strengths, needs, and interests.

Most people learn best from different kinds of sources and experiences, and some of the seemingly contradictory advice is okay when you look at it this way; it's possible to combine the book learning, crewing for other people, formal lessons, and messing around on your own little boat.

Many states have basic boating safety education classes that are very inexpensive or sometimes even free.

Some parts of the world have community sailing programs and sailing clubs or co-ops that help bring the cost of sailing down. Some chandleries, boat yards, boat shows, etc. sponsor specialized seminars that can be very worthwhile -- stuff like how to take care of an engine or use radar or anchor or whatever.

Noonsite and Lat 38/Lats & Atts are examples of good websites to fuel cruising dreams.

Besides the idea of living aboard, what sort of sailing would you like to do on your future catamaran? Are there particular aspects of sailing that are especially attractive?
Old 05-09-2011, 21:11   #17

Re: Help me get started on the right foot!

[QUOTE=Eleven;767535
A small fridge, well insulated, with wind+solar to keep it going and consider LED lighting for evenings, they considerably reduces battery use. (Still not legal for navigation lights.)[/QUOTE]

What!?

there are MANY USCG certified LED nav lights.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:40   #18

Send a message via Yahoo to mythicalfantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
Besides the idea of living aboard, what sort of sailing would you like to do on your future catamaran? Are there particular aspects of sailing that are especially attractive?
I have traveled to many places in Europe and I have even lived in London for seven years. I also took a quick trip to Egypt one year, but for as long as I have lived I have always wanted to be free from the world around me and to travel everywhere that I could go to.

I want to see the world and to never have to stay in one place it is in my blood to travel. I am a free spirit that has to go with the wind. I stand outside when the wind blows and I feel it on my skin and I just wish I could be taken away with it. The most important thing besides my dreams is my photography I want to be able to document and share the rest of my life with the world.

Michelle
mythicalfantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:50   #19

Posted by "callmecrazy""Take advantage of them, but whatever you do, don't become a sailors wife! Keep your independence and stay focused on your goal."

Wow, You do not have to worry about me becoming a sailors wife. I have had the opportunity to be married in my life and that is not going to happen again. I really believe you do not need that piece of paper to be with someone completely and forever and to have that life long commitment. I would say the reason I am not married anymore is because my goals are the most important aspect of my life and finding someone who dreams and makes their dreams reality like I do has not ever happened. So for now I am going forward and completing my dreams for myself and if that special someone is going to be there is up to them.

Michelle
Old 06-09-2011, 20:25   #20

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Michelle, it sounds as though you're off to a good start, especially once you find sailors and places where you can get your hands on boats. Sailing on many different boats and getting attuned to wind and water should help you get closer to what you want.

I see that there's a website called Sailing Louisiana . Haven't looked much at it much yet; looks like the author might be a Hobie cat person. Of course, there will be websites for all the yacht clubs in LA, MS, and maybe E TX that might be of interest.

US Sailing ( Where To Sail ) also lists some contacts, including

Lake Charles YC Community Sailing
Location Sheron Faulk
Lake Charles, LA 70602-0727 Click to View on Map
Web Address
Phone 318-474-6138
Email Address sfaulk@shiptoshoreco.com

Lake Pontchartrain Women's Sailing Association
Location PO Box 113087
Metairie, LA 70011 Click to View on Map
Web Address www.women4sail.org
Phone 504-864-0905
Email Address margie.offan@cox.net
Old 06-09-2011, 20:34   #21

If you live in an area where there is USCG...they have safety classes. I sent you a PM.
Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 22:22   #22

Thanks to everyone for all your help.

Domenic I have not received a PM from you... You might have to resend it.

Thanks,
Michelle
Old 06-09-2011, 22:52   #23

Sent again...if you don't get it, let me know, and I will try again.
Let me guess, you are a teacher.
Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 23:37   #24

Thanks I received it. I am not a teacher now, have been in the past amongst many other things.

Michelle