Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2021, 06:45   #1

Help to identify sailing boat?

Dear fellow sailors,

Can anyone recognize what kind of sailing boat this is? I have the chance to get it for free if I remove the boat. It need some work of course. The boat is about 25-26 feet, and have a aft cabin.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210317_163833.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	437.8 KB
ID:	234915  
Husakallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 13:29   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Help to identify sailing boat?

Hi, Huskallen, welcome aboard CF.

Sorry, I don't know what kind of boat she is, but if you decide to take her, be sure you have a way to move her (do not assume engine works), a place to take her to, and be sure you get proof of ownership turned over to you.

The state she's in, goodness only knows what's wrong there.

Here's a link to help you look clearly at what your're getting into: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...1-a-78671.html

Ann
Old 21-03-2021, 16:41   #3

Should be able to find somewhere on stern of boat 3-4 letter code that will signify who built the boat. Numbers preceeding should also give you year and month built.

https://uscgboating.org/content/manu...tification.php
Old 21-03-2021, 16:58   #4

Boat: Sabre 34

I assume you are getting it for free with proper paperwork - if yes then the current owner should know the make of the boat. If there is no official paperwork how do you know the person "selling" her to you is the owner?

I would first try to get as much information on the boat as possible and then figure out what condition she's in, my guess is not well and that's why you are getting it for "free".

Personally, I wouldn't get it (consider yourself warned).
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 17:20   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Huskallen, the negativity you are getting is not to discourage from joining the ranks of cruisers. It's just that "project" boats have a poor reputation on the forum, and particularly for anyone wanting to start sailing. Invariably, or nearly so, they end up both costing more than ready to sail and prevent a new cruiser from sailing - he/she ends up spending all available time and money on refitting the boat rather than on sailing.

I may be the poster child on the forum for this - I took it a step farther and built my own. I got what I wanted, but it's more a miniature ship than a yacht, and it took me twelve years, one of them full time.

So, look before you leap, recognize that even a completed refit can keep you busy with repairs, and consider buying something you can sail on the spot.
Old 22-03-2021, 02:31   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Husakallen.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 09:11   #7

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husakallen View Post
............Can anyone recognize what kind of sailing boat this is? ...........I have the chance to get it for free if I remove the boat........
Get the HIN number from the transom OR from the registration and look it up. The first 3 letters is the manufacturer's identification code. The next 5 numbers are the serial number. The next 2 are the date of manufacture and the last 2 numbers are the model year. Be sure to get a marine (hull, safety, sails, etc.) survey and consider an engine, rigging and electrical surveys to understand what work is required.

https://drive.ky.gov/motor-vehicle-l...Pages/HIN.aspx
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 09:12   #8

Boat: Pearson 34

How's that old saying go....."There is nothing more expensive than a free boat" ?
Cheers!
RSB333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 09:30   #9

I’m not sure, but it has the look of a Van de Stadt design. That forehatch ought to make it identifiable.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 09:51   #10

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husakallen View Post
Dear fellow sailors,

Can anyone recognize what kind of sailing boat this is? I have the chance to get it for free if I remove the boat. It need some work of course. The boat is about 25-26 feet, and have a aft cabin.

Thank you!
Be wary of all free boats. Usually, the only reason they're free is because the owner doesn't want to pay the slip fees anymore and the cost to fix the boat is more than it could ever be worth. If you really want to get into sailing, you can usually find some smaller pocket cruisers under 10K that are close to sailing condition. You can spend 10K on a fixer upper in a heart beat and still have a POS.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 10:27   #11

Hello Husakallen and welcome :-)!

"Husakallen" sounds suspiciously Swedish and the backgound in your photo looks suspiciously "PNW" or "BC". But you say nothing about where you or the boat is located.

The number showing on her bows looks very much like a the ID number for a LICENCED boat, though "BAL" is not a prefix that rings a bell with me. If you are in BC, Transport Canada can, if you give them the Licence Number, provide you with the details of the boat including the name of the present owner.

Others have warned you about getting enamoured of a free boat. They can be costly beyond the imaginings of landsmen. On the other hand, a free boat is not to be sneezed at if you can handle it :-)!

So tell us where the boat is located and why it is being offered to you for free. Then we can help you go through the boat - prior to assuming responsibility for her - and determine whether it's something you really want to get involved in.

All the best

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 10:34   #12

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

If you need further help let me know, I would be happy to.

Everybody else, the OP is in Scandinavia, so so coaching to find a USCG HIN is probably wasted effort.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 13:12   #13
Marine Service Provider

I think HIN numbers are required by an international agreement. My 2011 model South African built boat has one but my 1969 Newport has none, only "Hull No. 5" inscribed inside the transom.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 13:21   #14

Boat: Tom Colvin Doxy 41

I think it is an Albin
kristjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2021, 13:29   #15

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

I don’t think it’s an Albin. The closest thing would be the Accent but Windows’ wrong and no aft cabin.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/accent-26-albin
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailing