Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2019, 07:24   #16

Re: Helpful Marina

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You know knowing this guy, I bet his mind went immediately to the liability concern, if he doesn’t have one he’s not liable, but having one maybe could make him liable somehow.
I do think that is how some think. However, I would suspect at some point, there will be a lawsuit saying there is no reason for a business to not have an AED. They are cheap, easy to use, and they save lives.

For a variety of reasons I read several Irish newspapers. One of the big issues over there is lawsuits. It is not just a US issue. They have a politician who was suing a hotel because she fell off a swing. Sounds like she was drinking when she fell off but she sued them. Just before their recent election she dropped the lawsuit but the damage to her reputation, her standing in the party, and the party itself has been done.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 08:05   #17

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

If the unit is set to give the voice prompts in your language, you are set. Training is nice, and to be desired, but when a life hangs in the balance, an untrained person in the absence of a trained person should of course use it. They are designed to be usable by anyone. I have received "training" in the use of an AED. It pretty much consists of remembering to follow the voice prompts and that's it. Okay, well there are videos demonstrating the application of the paddles and warnings to not touch the victim when/if a shock is given. I encourage everyone to watch a couple. But it will then be even more obvious that if you follow the directions, you are much more likely to help than to harm, and you could very well save a life.

just for starters. See how simple it is? "Well, I'm not a trained person. I could be held liable." And watch someone die, waiting for an ambulance. Same with CPR. If someone is not breathing and has no pulse, doing it wrong is better than not doing it at all. But get some training anyway, or at least look it up on youtube ahead of time.
Old 29-05-2019, 14:46   #18

Boat: Island Packet 40

I found the sign a bit of a novelty but it is obvious from the responding posts that these things are pretty common now rather than just being a specialized item of equipment for medical centers.

The Gladstone marina is a pretty good facility run by a large state owned port authority, it has extensive parks and gardens and the equipment is modern and well kept. Perhaps I just need to frequent a better class of marina now I have moved into the heart attack risk age group.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote