Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2018, 14:31   #76

Re: Here's how (and why) it comes from "I don't like brokers" to "I hate brokers"

I have 2 experiences with boat brokers as I shopped for my IP460.

The first one was in St Pete's...new one on sale....everything I wanted...made a verbal agreement on cost so I transferred the money from Canada into my Wells Fargo account. We had an appointment to sign the papers the next day...guess what? The broker phoned mentioning a new buyer has come forward, and should we still be interested we should sweeten our offer!!

I've been in business my whole life and value a handshake, so obviously I wrote off that transaction .

The broker that nite realized I called his bluff and left a stream of cell messages imploring me to call back but I never did. About 5 months later I got a nasty message left on my phone stating that he had sold that IP for more money than I offered...what a dick.

I found another IP460 for sale in Seattle so this time a friend referred me to his brother in law...a broker at Freedom Marine out of Vancouver.

What a superstar...he went to Seattle to look at the boat, told me that I'd love it...sent many pictures, told me what I should offer etc etc. Long story short he arranged a survey, sea trail and even came along.

I was ready to accept the latest offer but he said to offer 15k less and the owner would accept.He was right and saved me 15k, resulted in a great deal for me in the end...much better out fitted boat than the previous for the same cost.

6 years later we still stay in touch...So ya, some are really unethical like the unnamed dealership in Florida...some shine thru like Freedom Marine in Vancouver.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 14:47   #77
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: Here's how (and why) it comes from "I don't like brokers" to "I hate brokers"

Quote:
. even though many posters where shafted by them
How can a broker “shaft” people?
If you really believe so you must be a moron, or pretend to be.

A broker presents boats to potential buyers.
If buyer likes a boat, he inspect it good. If still interested he hire a surveyor and get a report on the condition.
From there the buyer negotiate with seller (via broker).
If an agreement is made, voila, the transaction is made and the buyer and seller Both made a deal they agreed on,
No idea where this broker hate-crusade is coming from but you must be a special kind of stupid if you let a broker or any kind of sales man ruin your day.
Old 24-03-2018, 15:22   #78
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post

If you really believe so you must be a moron, or pretend to be.

A broker presents boats to potential buyers.

If buyer likes a boat, he inspect it good. If still interested he hire a surveyor and get a report on the condition.

From there the buyer negotiate with seller (via broker).

If an agreement is made, voila, the transaction is made and the buyer and seller Both made a deal they agreed on,

No idea where this broker hate-crusade is coming from but you must be a special kind of stupid if you let a broker or any kind of sales man ruin your day.

Doesn't take a moron to realize a broker can shaft you. It took us 3 months to get our $17,000 deposit check back in installments from a brokerage that cashed our check rather than depositing it in an escrow account. And that broker is still in business and doing well.
There are a small handful of really good honest brokers that work for you and there are plenty of absolutely worthless lazy pieces of s$/t.
Out of the 12 boats we have owned, we purchased 4 through brokers and sold all ourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 15:30   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Doesn't take a moron to realize a broker can shaft you. It took us 3 months to get our $17,000 deposit check back in installments from a brokerage that cashed our check rather than depositing it in an escrow account. And that broker is still in business and doing well.
There are a small handful of really good honest brokers that work for you and there are plenty of absolutely worthless lazy pieces of s$/t.
Out of the 12 boats we have owned, we purchased 4 through brokers and sold all ourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sorry to hear that the broker cashed your check rather than doing deposit in an escrow. That is clearly against any kind of regulation, contract and business practice.
Yes, there is rotten apples in any business. There is crooked cops, crooked politicians, crooked presidents, crooked lawyers, etc but to paint all brokers as crooks is fake news.
Old 24-03-2018, 15:32   #80
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Sorry to hear that the broker cashed your check rather than doing deposit in an escrow. That is clearly against any kind of regulation, contract and business practice.

Yes, there is rotten apples in any business. There is crooked cops, crooked politicians, crooked presidents, crooked lawyers, etc but to paint all brokers as crooks is fake news.

No doubt, there are a few really good apples in the bunch, just finding them........
smj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 18:27   #81

Quote:
The worst EVER form of lie - not telling ALL the truth. And one of the reasons why it's worst - because it's almost never even enforceable by law. The liar makes sweet eyes and tells you "he could swear he didn't know".
And while almost any kind of business in modern world does this thing, that's brokers/dealers/realtors who became perfect in this.

You come down and condition doesn't match description? "Sorry, somehow overlooked it". You bought something and then realized that you overpaid? "Sorry, but this was you decision, nobody pushed you (really?!)".
Something's wrong with purchase? They usually under big company's umbrella, and company's lawyers (another "nice" people) will protect them all the way.
List can be countless.

Regarding the properties. Did you know that when you buy or sell property, that's LAWYER who takes responsibility for all legal and financial side, not realtor? And yet lawyer gets nothing comparing to what realtor gets.
Did you know that you don't have to have realtor to buy or sell property?
But there's one "little" thing - they've created syndicates, which
a)scare people, tell them that "not using realtor is terrible, terrible thing, no matter buying or selling!". They sure have lots of money to do propaganda. As result, many people actually do become scared to make private deals. Even though it's ABSOLUTELY safe, you still will use lawyer for all legal and financial side of the deal!
b)they hiding some information from people, making it only available to their customers. Example - sold data. Fortunately, at least in some Countries they obligated by law to provide this information for free (sold properties data, for example), but while they will do that, they sure will f your brain, no exceptions.
c) MLS, mentioned in post above. If you're buying, you at least can deal with that - some information is available to view, the rest - you can come to any realtor and get from him.
If you're selling - you're out of luck. You either can try to sell by yourself (there is no way you can put it on MLS, and most likely people who scared by syndicates, will be afraid to deal with you anyway), or you have to pay $$$.

I can tell you even more. There are agencies who offer their service for quite low attractive price. At least it looks so in their advertising (not so much in real life).
I asked one realtor, whom I knew well so he was a bit more honest with me, about these agencies. You know what was the answer? "These properties never sell" - "Why?" - "Because they don't offer full commission!". So, **, potential buyers! Nobody cares about your "needs" or "wants". Realtor will do EVERYTHING to sell you property where he will make most money, while staying within the law. Or on the edge. Period.
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 18:48   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchero76 View Post
The worst EVER form of lie - not telling ALL the truth. And one of the reasons why it's worst - because very often it's not even enforceable by law. The liar makes sweet eyes and tells you "he could swear he didn't know".
And while almost any kind of business in modern world does this thing, that's brokers/dealers/realtors who became perfect in this.

You come down and condition doesn't match description? "Sorry, somehow overlooked it". You bought something and then realized that you overpaid? "Sorry, but this was you decision, nobody pushed you (really?!)".
Something's wrong with purchase? They usually under big company's umbrella, and company's lawyers (another "nice" people) will protect them all the way.
List can be countless.

Regarding the properties. Did you know that when you buy or sell property, that's LAWYER who takes responsibility for all legal and financial side, not realtor? And yet lawyer gets nothing comparing to what realtor gets.
Did you know that you don't have to have realtor to buy or sell property?
But there's one "little" thing - they've created syndicates, which
a)scare people, tell them that "not using realtor is terrible, terrible thing, no matter buying or selling!". They sure have lots of money to do propaganda. As result, many people actually do become scared to make private deals. Even though it's ABSOLUTELY safe, you still will use lawyer for all legal and financial side of the deal!
b)they hiding some information from people, making it only available to their customers. Example - sold data. Fortunately, at least in some Countries they obligated by law to provide this information for free (sold properties data, for example), but while they will do that, they sure will f your brain, no exceptions.
c) MLS, mentioned in post above. If you're buying, you at least can deal with that - some information is available to view, the rest - you can come to any realtor and get from him.
If you're selling - you're out of luck. You either can try to sell yourself (and most likely people who scared by syndicates, will be afraid to deal with you), or you have to pay $$$.
I can tell you even more. There are agencies who offer their service for quite low attractive price. At least it looks so.
I asked one realtor, whom I knew well so he was a bit more honest with me, about these agencies. You know what was the reply? "These properties never sell" - "Why?" - "Because they don't offer full commission!".
So, **, potential buyers! Nobody cares about your "needs" or "wants". Realtor will do EVERYTHING to sell you property where he will make most money, while staying within the law. Or on the edge. Period.
Wow.
I get a headache from reading your whining and bitching: I Bought numerous properties in Florida as an investor. Also sold a bunch.
Never had a bad deal with realtors. Also bought plenty boats, no broker screwed me yet.
Never needed a lawyer but used a few for real estate closings at no extra cost
Bought my last boat without a broker, it was not even on the market. Great deal.
Sold my CSY sailboat in 2013 without a broker, it was not listed, buyer found me and made an offer from dealing with the CSY owner’s group.
Found my present Albin 28TE boat at the Albin Owner’s Group. Not listed. Just a quiet and quick deal with the owner. Gentlemen doing a handshake business deal.
Learn to find the good stuff without paying a commission instead of bitching and moaning about you being screwed.
That being said, I sold a boat last year using a brokerage. They got me full asking price, dealt with the paperwork and they earned their $15,000 commissions. Buyer was happy, I was happy, no problems.
Grow up and stop complaining like a little girl.
Old 24-03-2018, 19:07   #83
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Brokers are no different than any other profession. Most are adequate, many are avaricious prevaricators and there a few trustworthy gentlemen (in the best sense of that word). My opinion has been developed by having dealt with almost every broker in Ontario over the last 25yrs.

IMHO it is your job to search out the good ones and name names on this forum when you find a good one.
Old 24-03-2018, 19:49   #84

Quote:
I Bought numerous properties in Florida as an investor. Also sold a bunch.
Never had a bad deal with realtors
They got me full asking price, dealt with the paperwork and they earned their $15,000 commissions.
That's from my post earlier:"Brokers/realtors/dealers are good for rich people, who seem to be "too busy" for anything, and prefer other people to do work for them."
That's exactly describes your situation. For me - $15K is HUGE amount of money while selling 150K item. Like insanely huge. As for 99.99% of people on this planet. Regardless - do I have 150K for boat or not.
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 20:15   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchero76 View Post
That's from my post earlier:"Brokers/realtors/dealers are good for rich people, who seem to be "too busy" for anything, and prefer other people to do work for them."
That's exactly describes your situation. For me - $15K is HUGE amount of money while selling 150K item. Like insanely huge. As for 99.99% of people on this planet. Regardless - do I have 150K for boat or not.

Rich people...?
No, you are barking up the wrong tree.
I am not rich
Tried to advertise the boat on my own for $140k. No takers.
Hired POP yachts, they sold it for me @ $152,500. Full asking price.
If $15k is insanely huge for you, perhaps you are playing with the wrong toys.?