Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2013, 18:41   #1

hey minggat, snapped a decent picture of you

Minggat is anchored right next to us here in La Paz, Baja Sur, Mexico.

rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 08:11   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: hey minggat, snapped a decent picture of you

That is pretty short scope he is using...

On the right side of the picture there is a mast that looks like it has 2' of prebend in it!

We plan to move into Pacific Mexico in the future. Do many anchorages there have that many boats and activities in them? We are quite use to enjoying quiet anchorages with 1-4 boats in them.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 09:43   #3

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Looks just like LaPaz when we were there 20 years ago.
The wind is probably opposing the current just a bit, so you can't really judge scope by the pic.

We experienced the LaPaz Waltz several times.
The most extreme example found our anchored full keel boat sideways in nearly 5 knots of current with the wind holding us steady against it !

I looked around on Youtube for a video of the LaPaz Waltz, but couldn't find one.

Mae West
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 10:06   #4

Boy, Lapaz looks busy! Colemj.... I suspect most of the the "away" anchorages arent very busy... but will be interested in hearing as it's been a while since I've bent here.... Lapaz is kind of the Georgetown of Baja!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 10:20   #5

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
The wind is probably opposing the current just a bit, so you can't really judge scope by the pic.
I was joking - looks like a mooring to me.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 14:53   #6

Boat: O'Day 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

On the right side of the picture there is a mast that looks like it has 2' of prebend in it!

We plan to move into Pacific Mexico in the future. Do many anchorages there have that many boats and activities in them? We are quite use to enjoying quiet anchorages with 1-4 boats in them.

Mark

The location is a little west of Marina La Paz. I think you are seeing masts from marina Aboroa in the background. The general anchorage is spread out but not quiet. The boats aren't noisy but there are some clubs pump out music past midnight. The worst was Papas and Beer right next to Marina La Paz, which closed down but I think is open under a new name. Hope you like accordions and tubas. The speakers are aimed at the anchorage. Not by accident.

Get your groceries then head north out of town. La Paz can be a black hole for cruisers.
Dos Gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 16:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

Mark
The line someone said about La Paz being a "black hole for cruisers" is spot on. A lot of boats in the anchorage and a lot of boats in Marina La Paz aren't going anywhere.

What I've found is that probably 50% of all boats on the Sea of Cortez side of Baja are located in La Paz, the rest are scattered around the other 800 miles. I could write a lot about this town but in summary, we'll be happy when we leave. We're hear for some rather specific reasons but compared to La Cruz de Huanacaxtle on the mainland, La Paz isn't even really all that Mexican (and a lot of local residents will confirm that).

It's a good place to get stuff done, it's expensive, the anchorage is flat but congested, there are lot of derelicts, and there's a lot of clique-isms around. If you want to retire and be in a "cruising community", it's not bad, but we're not looking for that.

And yeah, Minggat's on a mooring. There are moorings (and derelicts) scattered around the anchorage. Makes swinging around in the waltz even more interesting.
Old 25-05-2013, 16:25   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
The line someone said about La Paz being a "black hole for cruisers" is spot on. A lot of boats in the anchorage and a lot of boats in Marina La Paz aren't going anywhere.

What I've found is that probably 50% of all boats on the Sea of Cortez side of Baja are located in La Paz, the rest are scattered around the other 800 miles. I could write a lot about this town but in summary, we'll be happy when we leave. We're hear for some rather specific reasons but compared to La Cruz de Huanacaxtle on the mainland, La Paz isn't even really all that Mexican (and a lot of local residents will confirm that).

It's a good place to get stuff done, it's expensive, the anchorage is flat but congested, there are lot of derelicts, and there's a lot of clique-isms around. If you want to retire and be in a "cruising community", it's not bad, but we're not looking for that.

And yeah, Minggat's on a mooring. There are moorings (and derelicts) scattered around the anchorage. Makes swinging around in the waltz even more interesting.
G'Day Eric,

Your description of the La Paz anchorage is not far different to my memories from 1986-89. Lots of boats, only the one marina then, so lots of less than competent anchoring in the harbour. Lots of long term drunks, lining up at the door of the Moulin Rouge (I think that was the name of the sleazy cantina next to MdeLP) at opening time, an "eccentric" Canadian with a boat hung about with items for sale or trade, lots of other characters of varying degrees of compatibility. But that was where we first met non-North American cruisers and we learned a lot from them. Made a lot of friends, too, a few of which are represented here on CF (Sail Ronin, Old Cal46 skipper, possibly others). Those were good times, and I bet that you are having some too.

Cheers,

JIm
Old 25-05-2013, 16:29   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

too crowded--i am glad i am staying in barra de navidad!!!!

waay too many folks in la paz...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 17:14   #10

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
La Paz isn't even really all that Mexican (and a lot of local residents will confirm that).
Have you ever listened to VHF channel 88?
When we were there, it was a German channel used by locals.
They often signed off with "Atche Atche" (H-H).

I think you can figure that out for yourself.

Mae West
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2013, 17:29   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day Eric,

Your description of the La Paz anchorage is not far different to my memories from 1986-89. Lots of boats, only the one marina then, so lots of less than competent anchoring in the harbour. Lots of long term drunks, lining up at the door of the Moulin Rouge (I think that was the name of the sleazy cantina next to MdeLP) at opening time, an "eccentric" Canadian with a boat hung about with items for sale or trade, lots of other characters of varying degrees of compatibility. But that was where we first met non-North American cruisers and we learned a lot from them. Made a lot of friends, too, a few of which are represented here on CF (Sail Ronin, Old Cal46 skipper, possibly others). Those were good times, and I bet that you are having some too.

Cheers,

JIm
In La Paz's defense, we're hear after the Fall influx of bright eyed and bushy tailed Baja Haha'ers have left and the intrepid Pacific crossing guys are long gone. So the only people in La Paz at this point are those that are long term residents and a few active movers like ourselves who are here for a bit and moving on. But if there are 20 boats (out of hundreds) that are only here for a bit, I'd be surprised.

I imagine this place is a lot more lively Fall to Spring, when it's full of people starting off on big adventures. We've got two little kids with us so we're not experiencing much of the night life as well; I'm sure this place is a lot different if you're not a family boat.

I don't mean to slam everyone in this bay, many of whom seem to be having a fine enough time. After spending months on the mainland, we got our expectations up pretty high.

One thing that Baja has over the mainland (at least as much as we've seen) is wildlife. The Sea of Cortez really is remarkable for bays, anchorages, wildlife, and fishing. Truly spectacular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Have you ever listened to VHF channel 88?
When we were there, it was a German channel used by locals.
They often signed off with "Atche Atche" (H-H).

I think you can figure that out for yourself.
Even the 88 is Neo-Nazi. There are a lot of letter-number sequences in that circle. Nazis in San Diego have "1904" tattoos, because "S" is the 19th letter in the alphabet and "D" is the 4th. Likewise, Heil Hitler (HH) is 88 so the channel is a dead give away.
Old 25-05-2013, 17:33   #12

Also: I had to move our boat a couple of hundred yards away from what was our current anchoring position because someone decided to drop a mooring directly in our swing circle. I noticed it last night and if we had done one more tidal swing we would have wrapped on it and fouled, resulting in needing to dive in ~4 knot currents with garbage visibility. The "freedom" to do what you want in Mexico is great but in congested places like this it's a good lesson as to why when there are more people you end up with more rules.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:57   #13

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
too crowded--i am glad i am staying in barra de navidad!!!!

waay too many folks in la paz...
Thanks Rebel.

Yes, I was sailing into a pretty stiff current, and having a good time doing it.

The shot does make it look crowded. Believe me, it is not as crowded as it looks. Many of the boats in the marina in the background are put to bed. But just the fact that is is a marina in the background does lead one to believe that it's crowded. It is about the end of the season. The morning net has gone from 1 hour long down to about 10 min.
Old 09-06-2013, 17:01   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

minggat--we no longer have a net now it is summer-only 2-3 boats in anchorage--is awesome here...quiet and peaceful and protected---with a semi natural storm deflection system, kinda like banderas bay..but there are some terrific places her to stash a boat in a bad storm....and the marina which is dirt cheap now..
i was going to go up into sea--but we decided that, as there were all the bits and pieces and parts here that we need, we will stay here. i will go into marina weds for air conditioning and amenities of wyndham grande plaza hotel....lol--life is goood here.
happy summer--your boat looks gooood!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote