Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2019, 07:47   #1

Boat: 2003 Cruisers 4050
How to Adjust Galley Water Pressure?

I have my boat connected to dock (city) water. I have great water pressure everywhere on the boat save for the galley where there is just a trickle of water coming out of either or both of the hot/cold water knobs. There does not seem to be any pressure controls under the sink. The pipes disappear into the galley cabinet wall which backs up to the shower wall. Any thoughts about how to get more water pressure to the galley? Thanks!
Johngeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:58   #2
cruiser

Re: How to Adjust Galley Water Pressure?

Have you checked the faucet tip itself? Often there is a little strainer/aerator in there that gets plugged. Just remove the tip and see if there is a change in pressure.

All depends on the make/model of the faucet itself
Knot Safety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:11   #3

I second the fact that it's the spicket in the kitchen. The newer ones have restrictions to save water . it is common. For the aerator to become pluged
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:14   #4

There are no adjustments on most boats. You have a restriction somewhere likely.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:51   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, John.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:06   #6

Boat: Nordic 44

Feeding your boat from dock water directly is a bad idea. A broken hose could sink your boat. A far better option is to fill your water tanks and use your own water pump.

A few years ago Boat/US published an article saying more boats sank from dock supplied water than all other causes together.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:25   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Feeding your boat from dock water directly is a bad idea. A broken hose could sink your boat. A far better option is to fill your water tanks and use your own water pump.

A few years ago Boat/US published an article saying more boats sank from dock supplied water than all other causes together.

Absolutely.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:39   #8

You have probably some sort of blockage in the system somewhere. Ease of a few connections on the way to the faucet to identify the source of the blockage.
DO NOT CONNECT DIRECTLY TO THE WATER MAINS. YOU WILL SINK!!!!!!!!!!
mikecambrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:06   #9

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

It is true that connecting dock water to your boat is a good way to sink it in the slip. However, when we are spending the day on the boat in the slip, usually cleaning and doing projects, I'll connect the hose. BUT, I won't leave the boat unattended with the hose connected. With a single fresh water tank and a new Admiral that's not used to that kind of water economy, it's a good compromise. Also, the two closest dock hose bibs are located on the box for the neighbor slip on either side of mine, so leaving the hose connected would be a serious trip hazard.

And back to the OP, I'd bet a round of rums that the aerator on the faucet spout is the culprit.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 13:51   #10

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
It is true that connecting dock water to your boat is a good way to sink it in the slip. However, when we are spending the day on the boat in the slip, usually cleaning and doing projects, I'll connect the hose. BUT, I won't leave the boat unattended with the hose connected. With a single fresh water tank and a new Admiral that's not used to that kind of water economy, it's a good compromise. Also, the two closest dock hose bibs are located on the box for the neighbor slip on either side of mine, so leaving the hose connected would be a serious trip hazard.

And back to the OP, I'd bet a round of rums that the aerator on the faucet spout is the culprit.
It's that one time that you are in a hurry to go somewhere and leave it connected that will get you sunk. Bad practices are bad practices.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 16:00   #11

Boat: Houseboat, 60ft.

I had a similar problem on my motorhome some time ago. It was in a small strainer underneath the tap where the plastic pipe connects to the bottom of the tap/mixer. Do you have John Guest plastic/nylon type hoses connecting to the taps/mixer?
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 22:03   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
It's that one time that you are in a hurry to go somewhere and leave it connected that will get you sunk. Bad practices are bad practices.
Guess you missed the part about not leaving the boat unattended with the hose connected... It would be bad practice to leave the companionway hatch and doors unsecured when leaving the boat, but it's pretty hard to get use the boat without unlocking them. I also don't leave the dock without closing the forward hatch (catches jib sheets), but I can enjoy the ventilation provided by having both it and the companionway open while inside the cabin at the dock.

Yes, if I did rush off somewhere and leave the hose connected, an internal connection could leak, with a simultaneous bilge pump failure, and the boat would sink. But I don't rush off. I don't fail to flake and cover the mainsail and hose the salt off the boat after returning to the slip. I don't fail to shut off the propane. And most of the time, I don't connect the dock hose to the boat at all. But if I do, I don't just shut off the hose bib. I disconnect the hose at both ends, drain it, coil it, and place it (and the whole house filter housing) in the dock box.

If I was so afraid of something bad happening that I couldn't use the amenity of being able to connect a hose to the boat, I wouldn't have a sailboat in the first place. Or pretty much any watercraft bigger than a rubber ducky.

Don't connect a hose, you'll sink your boat! Don't have propane, it'll leak and you'll blow up! Don't have a gasoline engine, you'll blow up!

Yes, I enjoy my Force 10 propane stove. Yes, I have a 41 year old boat with (gasp!) an Atomic 4 gasoline engine. Amazing the boat lasted 41 years without exploding!!! Guess what, they've been put in over 40,000 boats since 1949, and not one documented explosion.

Yes, if you're careless and ignorant, bad things can happen.

Sorry for the thread drift and verbosity, but it's Friday night!
Old 13-08-2019, 17:07   #13

Dear all - while I appreciate the advice about city water, that advice is not relevant to my question. Of course I take care to prevent tragedy with the city water. I am not foolish.
Old 13-08-2019, 17:12   #14

So, did you check the aerator?
Old 13-08-2019, 17:14   #15

Checked the areator prior to posting my question. No problem there.

Tags
galley, water