Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2021, 14:49   #1

How to give away a boat?

Yeah, I know, just find someone and give it to them! Not that simple. I need to find someone who understands how expensive a free boat can be, and will actually do something with the boat. Any thoughts on how to weed out those who’s brains stop working when they hear the word ‘free’ from those who legitimately want a decent project boat and will actually follow through? The boat is currently on the hard in our marina and I very much do not want it to get abandoned there when reality slaps the new owner in the face.
dreadpiratk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 14:56   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: How to give away a boat?

If you find anyone that wants a free boat. have it witnessed by someone with a video camera. Do not give them your phone number or home address ... buy a gun
Old 08-05-2021, 15:05   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
If you find anyone that wants a free boat. have it witnessed by someone with a video camera. Do not give them your phone number or home address ... buy a gun
...and most importantly, have them sign the paperwork on the spot and make sure it gets filed properly. If not then you are legally still the owner and liabilities may result.

I know of a couple of cases where someone gave away a boat, ownership was never legally transfered, and it caused problems for the original owner later.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 15:05   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post

LOL. I’d love to hand over the keys and run, but as our new boat is in the same marina I fear possible blow back to that strategy.
Old 08-05-2021, 15:45   #5

Boat: Bristol 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadpiratk View Post
The boat is currently on the hard in our marina and I very much do not want it to get abandoned there when reality slaps the new owner in the face.
I suppose you could take it to a new marina before you hand it over

How about some pics or description and general location. People on this forum may know someone who could follow through.
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 15:46   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun and Moon View Post

How about some pics or description and general location. People on this forum may know someone who could follow through.
Better yet anchor it somewhere far away!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 15:54   #7

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

What about donating it to a charity?

We have several local charities that will accept boats, cars, etc. In many cases they even move the vehicle to their location.

And you get a tax write-off.
garyfdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 15:56   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun and Moon View Post

Here’s the Craigslist add:

https://syracuse.craigslist.org/boa/...297239893.html

Here’s more pics:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pZFFyBoANg9Y6pKaA

The hull, rig, motor and sails are sound and have value but it really doesn’t show well in its condition. I haven’t entirely given up on selling for some money, but we close on the new boat next week so I’m exploring other options, I really want to go into sailing season without worrying about 2 boats.
Old 08-05-2021, 16:19   #9

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

The photos are honest.....it’s a POS that seems functional. Donate or give away with. Clean conscience.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 16:20   #10

Boat: 1987 Pearson 39-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfdl View Post
What about donating it to a charity?

We have several local charities that will accept boats, cars, etc. In many cases they even move the vehicle to their location.

And you get a tax write-off.
Around here, at least, these folks haven't gotten wise.

It should also be noted that a common way for them to give you the write off is by the value they end up selling the asset at. If you can't sell the boat, they probably can't sell it, either.
SeaStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 16:29   #11

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Mariner 28's were good boats (IMO) - our first charter was a M28 out of Rock Hall MD.

I would think you could find someone to take it.

If the ballast is lead someone might take it for salvage - lead here is getting .50/lb.
garyfdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 16:39   #12

Quote: "...and most importantly, have them sign the paperwork on the spot and make sure it gets filed properly. If not then you are legally still the owner and liabilities may result."

And just to make sure: Have the donee give you a dollar in return for the boat and give him a receipt for the dollar, specifying that it is payment in full for the boat -citing the registration number or licence number, of course so the boat can be uniquely identified.

It used to be, and may still be in some jurisdictions, that for a contract to be binding "something of value, be it only so much as a peppercorn" had to pass in both directions.

In this jurisdiction, the "capital loss" is only useful if you have REALIZED, TAXABLE capital gains to offset the loss against. Therefore if all the capital gains you have are those deriving from the sale of your principal residence, the "loss" doesn't do you blind bit of good.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 17:41   #13

I would definitely use a charity. The charity insulates you from all the crazies who are looking for free stuff. They will exhaust you. And there's also no legal worries that it will somehow come back to haunt you.

A great option is the Massachusetts Maritime Academy. All the money raised goes to training future American merchant seamen and women. A noble cause.

https://www.govserv.org/US/Buzzards-...emy-Boat-Sales
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 18:20   #14

Boat: Newport 28

Just to add an experience I had doing this same thing a few years ago:

I had a 26' sailboat, that I obtained for "free". It needed a lot of work (interior was near-gutted, etc), and the PO never informed me of an outstanding bill at the marina it was in. I was caught off-guard when I went to launch it to take it to my own. I would've still taken it either way, but it would've been nice to know ahead of time.

So to that point - any potential buyer that proactively asks questions in regards to fees, bills, etc, is at least a step above a tire-kicker. It might not hurt to mention things like that in the ad, to at least limit some of the people that have no clue from replying. Some marinas will allow for a slip transfer, others will require the new owner to pay something anyway. Your ad doesn't mention if it's currently in the water, or waiting for launch, but it might be something to add. When I gave away my last boat a few years ago, I made sure to check with my Marina prior to selling, and they said they would just transfer the slip into the buyer's name for the remainder of the season. I signed the boat over to the new owner, with a retained signed copy of receipt, and also passed along his information to my marina, while he was to report in with them as well.

Frankly, I gave it away instead of selling, because to me it was a better option than ending up having to pay the storage fee. I told the new owner I would give him the boat, so he could use what he was going to pay for the boat to pay for storage, which let me unload the boat instantly and no longer have to worry about a bill myself. As you are at the beginning of the season, that might be a good selling point, if it applies - If you've already paid for the season and it's transferable, it could make it a lot easier for someone to use money they might have needed for the slip/mooring, for repairs and justify ownership.

Really though, the easiest way to weed out people is by the questions they do, or don't, ask. It should be somewhat obvious based on those as to their general knowledge or at least willingness to learn. (That's why I got a free boat for my first one, so I could use it to learn and build skills, so in many ways it was far more valuable to me than a purchase price, and also why I scoff at the 'nothing more expensive than a free boat' schtick)

Looking at the boat, there's plenty of value to be had, even at the price listed. If I were in the market, it would've been on the list quickly due to those factors. Hell, if I could afford two slips each season....lol
Old 09-05-2021, 08:59   #15

Boat: C-26

Just an observation learned from the military. When all else fails, drive out to deep water, cut the hoses of the through-hulls, blow a few holes through the cabin sole with a shotgun loaded with 00-buck. Hop in your dinghy and go home. The fish will love their new reef. Problem solved.
Lionshooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat