Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2021, 14:55   #16

Re: I want to buy a Cat in Florida or the Caribbean I live in New Zealand..

Firstly I want to say wow what a response I posted last night went to bed and now everyone at work is wondering why I stuck reading my phone!

Lots of good advice. I really appreciate it.

No I am not familiar with the buying process in Florida and I guess that is what makes me nervous buying privately. Especially if I am not in the country.

I feel I could spend 3 months of my holiday just looking at boats and sorting one if I wait until I arrive.

I understand it is hard for people to recommend brokers/people to help. But I'll keep taking all this good advise on board.

Thanks again Rich
Clearwater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 16:26   #17

Boat: Catalac 12M (41ft)

Hey couple from New Zealand,
I am also living in New Zealand and have just gone through what you are trying to do.
My wife and I bought a Catalac 12M in Cape Coral back in January 2021 but like you are unable to travel.
We were fortunate to have seen the boat and gotten a walk through at least, but had to rely on yacht brokers, surveyors and boatyards to do a lot of the heavy lifting to get from offer to purchase. The boat is now on a private dock, but we not only can't get there, but also can't get insurance on it either which adds to a fair amount of stress.
Hopefully, when Covid19 is behind us, we will also get back to our boat to start our dream voyage around the Great American Loop.
We are in Picton NZ if you are close, happy to host you at our hostel Atlantis Backpakers where I have a wall full of photographs of our sailing trip from the States to NZ on our previous boat.
Drop us a line if you have any questions. moonshadow_50@msn.com 0211411178
Howard and Sheira Hudson.
Cheers
Old 29-08-2021, 17:34   #18

Boat: Lagoon 380

We talked to Gary and he refereed us to another broke. Our budget was under $300k and he is only doing deals over $300k. Now the broker that helped us did a great job. One of the things Gary did tell us was to avoid looking in Ft. Lauderdale. We ended up finding a boat in our backyard. In our budget and meeting our requirements.

Cheyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by celle2000 View Post
Those saying using a buyer’s broker in this market might be a disadvantage may be right.
But I would say that may depend on multiple factors.
How experienced are you with catamarans, or with the Florida Market?
How familiar with the forms of U.S. (or Caribbean Nations’) contracts and escrow banking arrangements?
Will you be getting a surveyor recommended by the seller’s broker?
The boat you find may need work – a buyer’s broker may help you to find, negotiate, and expedite such work.

Possibly having someone experienced with both catamarans and the Florida market whose allegiance is to you as buyer might make sense.

You might take a look at some youtube stuff from Gary Fretz who is based in Ft. Lauderdale.
He is a broker – but regardless as to whether you talk to him or not - He does have a number of videos where he discusses issues around the hows and whys of buying and selling catamarans and the pros and cons of features. Food for thought anyway.

Disclosure – I do not know Gary Fret personally at all. I am not currently selling a boat. I have no commercial interest either way, and I do not live in Florida.
Cheyne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 18:47   #19

Contact us re cat for sale: stokesar@shaw.ca
Roger Stokes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, florida, New Zealand, rib