Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2021, 19:16   #16

Re: Icom IC-M710 Marine radio for HF - software

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
I also have three Icom documents; "EX-1726 FIELD PROGRAMMING SOFTWARE - IC-M710" (26 pages) and "Icom Instructions, Cloning Software, EX-2144 Rev. 1.0" (2 pages) and "The IC-M710 NMEA Instruction Manual" 28 pages). If you would like copies, send me an email address by PM.

I use Winlink with a "Signalink USB" sound card and set my receiver frequency automatically from the computer.

Bill
AK4PO
Thanks Bill. I'll send you a PM. What version of Winlink are you using? I've tried Winlink Express which was recently downloaded. It seems that most solutions involve older software. Also, just to confirm, you are using a Icom IC-M710 with Winlink?
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 14:47   #17

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

I'm using Winlink Express 1.5.36.0 . The program updates itself automatically, so I always have the current version.

For Winlink I am using a HP laptop, Windows 10, a Signalink USB sound card, a cable from ebay USB on one end and 1/8" on the other. I normally now use Vara, but I used Winmore before. Telnet works when we have internet access.

I have been using it for years without problems. It is how the kids keep up with us.

https://cms.winlink.org:444/maps/Pos...%20for%20AK4PO

Bill
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 18:08   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Wow! You've been busy!

To get around the native MS-DOS issue try DOSBOX. It is an excellent MS-DOS emulator originally built to support gaming, but Ive used it successfully to tweak my M710-RT. It emulates COM ports at the UART level which is what these old utilities need. This means you can use a USB-RS232 bridge cable to program the M710 (at least I was able to with the RT version...which is just a 710 with a remote control head).

https://www.dosbox.com/
Do you still have the software? I’ll buy a copy if you do.

Gregg
blackdove56@ Gmail.com
blackdove1256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 18:14   #19

Greetings. I’m a newer member and am not allowed PMs.

Would appreciate a copy of the software.

Gregg
B
blackdove56@gmail.com
Old 04-06-2021, 18:25   #20

DOXBOX and FreeDOS are both available as free downloads.

I've tried both along with many older computers without luck on my M710. I'm starting to suspect the radio having a problem with programming. I don't have a known good to compare against, do the hunt continues.

I was able to get a trial copy of Ham Radio Integrator. I've been too busy to really vet it, so far. The author is still making it available and asks $25 per year for the license
Old 04-06-2021, 18:27   #21

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdove1256 View Post
Do you still have the software? I’ll buy a copy if you do.

Gregg

blackdove56@ Gmail.com
All of the software I have referenced is available at no cost.

Just follow the links Ive posted on this thread.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 18:22   #22

Can you tell me exactly what I need to change to allow Rx/Tx on the ham bands. I have the ex1726 software but can’t figure out what change I need to make. Many thanks

Gregg
Old 05-07-2021, 20:40   #23

Does your software talk to the M710? ... or do you get Clone Error at the bottom of the screen if you try to clone from the radio to the PC?

I have still not cracked the communication barrier. Mark Dunkle just sent me a replacement programming cable since my previous failures may have been due to the cable being bad.

Having said that, I have not yet been able to program my M710. The software does have help files which I've printed out but haven't been able to use given that the connection to the radio has failed every time it was tried.

It is best to download the program from your M710 to the pc and then edit the settings from there. Basically you are going to adjust the transmit and receive frequency ranges to include the Ham bands. You also want to enable both USB and LSB. You want to be able to program in any frequency through the Keypad.

Hams typically use Simplex which is the transmit and receive on the same frequency. The marine bands are mostly duplex with a different transmit vs receive frequency and a lot of USB.

As an alternate to the radio programming, M170 Control may be an easier option.

"M710 Control" software is an old piece of Visual Basic software that was written in the 90's which provides a control panel interface for controlling the M710 radio. It is pretty nice in that it has a Receive frequency window and a Transmit frequency window, Audio Gain and RF Gain control, Mode Control and 24 memory locations to save your favorite frequencies to.

If you run this software, you have access to all the Ham frequencies without the need to program your radio. It does force you to have a computer connected to the radio in order to use the Ham frequencies however.

Although I still want to program my radio, by using M710 Control software, I have been able to enjoy full use of my radio on both the Marine Channels and the Ham Bands. When using M710 Control software, the faceplate of the radio says "Remote Control". You can see all the changes made on the PC reflected on the Radio Display Panel. If I want to use the Marine Channels, I kill the M710 Control app. The "Remote Control" goes away and I have normal Marine service capability by using the faceplate dials. This is actually better for searching for Weather Fax and the Marine nets.

Let me know if you are getting communication with the radio. We can share settings.
Old 06-07-2021, 14:16   #24

Stone Crab. Thank you for your comprehensive reply to my question. Give me a day to digest all of the information. Quickly though, I have Mark's kit and an older panasonic toughbook that will allow me to boot from DOS. Haven't tried to use the software yet...figured I would make sure I knew more than I did and then give it a go. With your information, I think I have all I need.

I'll get back to you tomorrow with a better response. Thanks again.

Gregg
KK5YY
Old 06-07-2021, 15:18   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdove1256 View Post
Stone Crab. Thank you for your comprehensive reply to my question. Give me a day to digest all of the information. Quickly though, I have Mark's kit and an older panasonic toughbook that will allow me to boot from DOS. Haven't tried to use the software yet...figured I would make sure I knew more than I did and then give it a go. With your information, I think I have all I need.

I'll get back to you tomorrow with a better response. Thanks again.

Gregg
KK5YY
Does your toughbook have a native serial port?
Old 06-07-2021, 16:17   #26

By all means back up the radio to the PC first. This is under the clone menu. This menu has TR => PC, TR <= PC, and Serial Port setting. Obviously you want to clone from the radio to the PC to get started as a backup. TR=radio

See Section 4 of the attached instructions for Clone information:

The clone to the PC will show you what channels that are programmed into the radio. If you want different channels, or frequencies, I suggest checking the Dockside Radio list.

https://www.docksideradio.com/icom_M710_programing.htm

https://www.docksideradio.com/M710%20Ch%20Guide.htm Note the Marine Channels are all USB. Net frequencies are LSB.

If you only change one thing, you will want to check the status of this item. Note if it requires changing you must start the program with /EXPERT following the exe name.

FREQUENCY PROGRAMMING CAPABILITY (Freq. program)
("/EXPERT" is necessary in the start up command to edit this item)
Both Rx and Tx frequencies can be programmed via the IC-M710's keypad.
However, this capability can be restricted to suit regulations, operation
methods, etc.
Selectable

The other screen to check is the ////// FREQ RANGE SCREEN //////
The FREQ RANGE screen allows you to change (restrict) the frequency coverage.
The receiver is a general coverage receiver, therefore only one range is
available. The transmitter frequency range is separated by 11 to fit the
allowed range. In addition, the frequency ranges for the ITU simplex channels
are also available for operating convenience.

Make sure LSB is turned on and both Rx and Tx are enabled.
////// MODE SCREEN //////
The IC-M710 has the following mode capabilities. However, some modes can be
restricted to suit operating needs.
+[Mode]--------+---------+---------+
| MODE |INDI- | Rx | Tx |
| |CATION| | |
+-------|------+---------+---------+
| J3E | J3E | ENABLE | ENABLE |
| R3E | R3E | ENABLE | ENABLE |
| H3E | H3E | ENABLE | ENABLE |
| LSB | LSB | DISABLE | DISABLE |
| J2B | J2B | DISABLE | DISABLE |
| FSK | FSK | ENABLE | ENABLE |
| A1A | A1A | DISABLE | DISABLE |
+-------+------+---------+---------+

You don't say if you hold an Amateur Radio license. If you don't hold one, please go take the test. It is only $15 currently and it makes you legal to use the Amateur Radio frequencies allocated to your license level. The higher your license rating, the more frequencies are available for you to use.

If you are prepared to take all three licenses in one day, you can take all three and pay the $15 once. Technician, General, Extra

See this link for the Band Plan that describes what frequencies are available for you to use.

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Regul...17%20Color.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf M710 ex1726 Instruction Manual.pdf (114.8 KB, 193 views)
Old 07-07-2021, 12:46   #27

Boat: Morgan 382

Stonecrab,
Did you get your communication working? I have had it working on several computers, and might be able to help.

First, you must have the correct cable. The correct cable connects to the 3.5mm jack in the back. It is NOT the same cable that is normally used for remote control(though you can control through that port as well)

My cable is a DB9 to 3.5mm. I then use an FTDI USB to Serial adapter.

Whatever cable or usb adapter you are using MUST use an FTDI chipset. A prolific chipset, which is much more common, will not work no matter how hard you try. I was able to get it working with DOSBOX with very little tweaking of DOSBOX. There is a text file that you need to edit to set which com port etc.

Before I got it working with DOSBOX, I had it working on a very old DOS PC, booted with a floppy disk, with a 9 pin serial port. DOS doesn't recognize USB ports, so you would have to use the DB9 cable and not the USB cable that I think is sold on ebay now.

I completely opened mine up, so I can transmit on any band, any mode. And programmed the Dockside radio frequency list into it.
Old 07-07-2021, 17:09   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Stonecrab,
Did you get your communication working? I have had it working on several computers, and might be able to help.

First, you must have the correct cable. The correct cable connects to the 3.5mm jack in the back. It is NOT the same cable that is normally used for remote control(though you can control through that port as well)

My cable is a DB9 to 3.5mm. I then use an FTDI USB to Serial adapter.

Whatever cable or usb adapter you are using MUST use an FTDI chipset. A prolific chipset, which is much more common, will not work no matter how hard you try. I was able to get it working with DOSBOX with very little tweaking of DOSBOX. There is a text file that you need to edit to set which com port etc.

Before I got it working with DOSBOX, I had it working on a very old DOS PC, booted with a floppy disk, with a 9 pin serial port. DOS doesn't recognize USB ports, so you would have to use the DB9 cable and not the USB cable that I think is sold on ebay now.

I completely opened mine up, so I can transmit on any band, any mode. And programmed the Dockside radio frequency list into it.
^ This. With the correct cable, which I got off eBay, I had no problems doing this on an old PC w a native COM port and on a newer PC running DOSBOX under Windows XP (both years ago).
Old 07-07-2021, 17:40   #29

Yes, the tough book has a native serial port.

I’m putting together a list of steps I think I can use to complete this task. If anyone already has a procedure that has worked, I would appreciate your sharing it with me.

Thanks to all.
Old 07-07-2021, 18:02   #30

With a native COM port its pretty straight forward. Hook up the cable, power up the radio, boot the PC to MSDOS, run the software.

I dont recall the exact menus/settings to use in the software, but it took me a matter of minutes to change the settings originally. Maybe someone here who has done it more recently can give specifics in the software.

As I recall I made 2 configuration changes. One: open up the frequency range. Two: allow TX frequency to be saved in user channel memory (some versions of this radio only allow the RX frequency to be saved...inconvenient).

Once you make the changes, you're done. I made these changes about 15 years ago and havent run the software since.

Tags
icom, marine, radio, software