Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2022, 10:43   #1

Info about my passage planning

I am planning a passage from Houston, TX, USA to Ensenda, Mexico. Looking at leaving early to mid-March.

The vessel is a 70' power yacht. 100-ton classification. 3/8" steel hull, 1/4" steel superstructure. 2 motors for propulsion, Volvo's, 300hp each. 1-5kw generator. 13-3kw generator. 8.5kw of solar, 110kwh of batteries. 20kw of inverter. 210-gallon fresh water holding capacity, with a water maker onboard. 6' draft, 19ft beam. 3000 gal built-in fuel capacity. Semi-displacement hull design.

Navionics is a Timezero professional, coupled to two 21" monitors in the helm, as well as on the flybridge. A closed radar array. Communications is a peplink HD2 with sim injector, a peplink BR2 coupled to a 2M Axxess marine antenna, KVH V7 HTS, Starlink satellite, and a Wilson wifi amplifier. Has two VHF and one HF radio.

I do not know what my fuel-efficient speed is yet, as the boat is going through an extensive refit currently. There are fuel flow monitors being added to put into the N2K backbone. There are four FLIR ax8 cameras in the engine room, one FLIR AX8 monitoring the batteries, and another monitoring the inverters.

For safety, there are three separate life rafts, all for offshore use, two with built-in ELT's. There are 4 life jackets, Rescue PFDs, all have VHFs, PLBs, Spot messengers, laser pointers, flashlights, mini flares, glow sticks, etc. There is also a jet ski on the swim platform, a Williams jet tender 285, and a Takacat 340lx with a Tohatsu 9.9 4 stroke on the upper deck. There is also a Pelican 1650 case, loaded, as a ditch kit. There are also 4 EPIRBs on board. The boat has 50,000GPH of bilge pump capacity in a mix of AC and DC pumps, there are 4 gallons of splash-zone epoxy, hole plugs, large magnetic sign rolls as patches, and 4 containers of USCG stop leak stuff. There is a propane-powered generator that can power 5 additional sump pumps, each with about 1500GPH capacity, and is in a separate box as a safety backup. Each of those have roll-up hoses on them, with extension cords already coiled as well for quick deployment. There is a 3" gasoline trash pump that I may put on board, but do not know yet if I will, this is 23000 gph in additional capacity. Also, an all-in-one welder is on board as well.

I have enclosed a picture of my intended route from Houston. It should go from Houston, to Key West, up to Miami to exchange a few crew members, then to Bahamas, Turks, DR, ABC's, Columbia, Roatan, Panama Canal, and then up the West Coast of Mexico. If my fuel efficiency is hitting 3~4 miles to the gallon, I may make a few additional pit stops.

I do not know what speed yet, as fuel efficiency will play the most critical path in determining the speed at which we move, but I suspect it will be around the 6~8 kts area.

My main question(s) is on the map I have put in here, as a photo, is there any major things I should be aware of, or be informed of?

I know the 900 miles of the Baja coast, known as the baja bash, there is a good chance I will bring an experienced capt on board for that section. But I am just learning that waves around the ABC's are 10 to 15' and can be very challenging, so I know in this forum, there is a great deal of people that have gone to these places and will be a wealth of knowledge for this.

Thank you in advance.
Also, if the image does not show up, will you please let me know how I should. I used an imgur link and the insert image. I have also added it as an attachment.

Sorry for the length of this post, especially it being my first, but wanted to make sure it was detailed.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Me Too trip 1 DR to ABCS.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	267880  
sandog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passage