Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2018, 14:56   #121

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Is Singlehanding >24 Hrs. Morally Wrong?

What prompted me to ask the question in the title, was I read someone's statement that it is "morally wrong" to singlehand, which is not how I experience the situation. The person wrote that there had been a close call with a boat headed straight at them, with a combined closing speed of 15 knots, and that eventually they were able to wake the person on the boat, who reported he was a singlehander.. It was written on the internet, and I do not know how accurately it mirrors reality.

However, I think it is always good for us to talk about out watch keeping standards, and a number of interesting points have been made. I think with the proliferation of larger sailboats, with higher cruising speeds, we may well see more "accidents." First, due to closing speeds being increased, but also to the many ways in which faster boats isolate us from the ocean environment, and foster inattention. The kindle, the bright chartplotter, the tendency to trust instruments that can be confused. Also, the coming of research sailing drones. So, I am coming to the idea that we are needing, collectively to improve our (already careful) watchkeeping. Perhaps a thread on watch keeping schedules might be of interest?

And I want to personally thank everyone who responded here, and especially thank those who mentioned unlit vessels. With the advent of LED lights, they have become less common, but they are still out there, and one of my pet peeves.

Thanks, guys,

Ann
Old 23-03-2018, 15:09   #122

Boat: Lavranos 58

"is it morally wrong". I think the question should "is it responsible...?
It would be hard to find an argument to support it is responsible 24 hours/day, 7 days per week. I was a merchant seaman and know that although the bridge of a ship is manned continuously whilst at sea there are times when the watch keeper is not staring out the window but is doing something else like chart corrections or sending communications. Lets say the ships speed is 20kts and the watch keeper is occupied for 20 minutes = ~7miles. now compare that with the yacht the snatches an hours sleep and travels 7 miles. The ship + cargo could be worth millions of dollars, it has 20 or thereabouts souls onboard depending on the watch keeper being vigilant, the potential for environmental damage in the event of collision or stranding is great and if it sinks or damages another ship that potential becomes greater still.
My preference if I have to make a choice is to collide with the singlehanded yachtsman and not the ship thats being singlehanded
Kenmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 15:28   #123

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Many assume that proper lookout cannot be kept without being awake.
I suggest being asleep in the cockpit with an ear for the alarms is much more proper lookout than being awake and glazey-eye exhausted.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 15:41   #124

Boat: Cape Dory 31

The simple answer is yes it is wrong, but no it is not morally wrong, and I singlehand all the time. I have a AIS receicver with a CPA alarm and it stays on 24 hours a day. I also have radar which I use intermittently. I scan the horizon frequently and I have two alarms set to insure I don't sleep past my preset time. I am most comfortable when offshore and I stay awake when closing a coast and making a landfall. In several thousand miles I've only had to use DSC to ask two vessels what their intentions were to insure they were aware of my presence.
Coastal cruising is where constant vigilance is required. I try to ensure I plan passages of less than twelve hours to make them safe and pleasurable.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 15:43   #125

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Morally wrong? That's a matter of personal morals and whether or not it is wrong to put others in danger.
It is certainly against maritime law to singlehand longer than a daysailer because a singlehander cannot maintain effective watch.

Even if we admire someone's skill or accomplishments, singlehanded sailing is breaking maritime law IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Many assume that proper lookout cannot be kept without being awake.
I suggest being asleep in the cockpit with an ear for the alarms is much more proper lookout than being awake and glazey-eye exhausted.
Neither sleeping nor "being awake and glazey-eye exhausted" is adequate. The watch must be alert and able.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 15:47   #126
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Tilbury View Post
, and the most important is a alarm tat will wake me after 15 to 20 mins if i do doze off ,
I've gone for one of these. Lives up to its name!!!

conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 15:54   #127

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Morally wrong-depends on your morals.

Legally wrong-Yes,according to COLREGS

It appears that COLREGS do not accept ANY electronics in LIEU of MK I Eyeballs & MK II EARS.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lookout.PNG
Views:	120
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	166904
Old 23-03-2018, 16:12   #128
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I don't think I actually said that....

I think that the risk of meeting a crossing or end on yacht is slight indeed on most ocean waters. Your incident does indeed show that the risk is not quite zero.... you came close to winning the lottery...

Your case sounds like a pair of yachts on opposite beam reaches between two ports fairly ( a few hundred miles? ) apart ...

In some parts not so much risk from other yachts....

That gaggle at 52*S is the Volvo fleet... one of them has already managed to hit a reef and sink a fishing boat ..... they are the people that scare me..... full crew or singlehanded.

I think views on this subject are influenced rather a lot by one's area of operations.... and their interpretation of the OP.
Perhaps I misunderstood your meaning. Correct you didn't specifically say that a collision between 40' boats would not cause damage. Your post was, "Small boat single handers in boats under - let's say- 40 feet are a danger to no one but themselves."

My thought process, if a 40' boat is a danger to no one but the single hander what danger would that refer to? Clearly there is a small but still non zero chance of collision so there is some danger of that occurrence. So what other thing would negate the potential for danger to another boat? I assumed that you were implying that a 40' boat collision would not be a danger but you could have meant something entirely different.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 16:27   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
Even if we admire someone's skill or accomplishments, singlehanded sailing is breaking maritime law IMO.

Neither sleeping nor "being awake and glazey-eye exhausted" is adequate. The watch must be alert and able.
Do Colregs say being alert and able mean you personally must be awake?

Having your lights enabled & alerting others, your AIS alert and able, and, yourself ready to instantly spring into action seems meet most administration's demands for fulfilling "proper lookout" requirements otherwise you'd be banned from going.
Old 23-03-2018, 16:32   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Morally wrong-depends on your morals.

Legally wrong-Yes,according to COLREGS

It appears that COLREGS do not accept ANY electronics in LIEU of MK I Eyeballs & MK II EARS.

Attachment 166904
Definitely eyes and ears should be available at all times but it does not say you must be awake.
Old 23-03-2018, 16:46   #131

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
MK I Eyeballs & MK II EARS.
I just want to know where you got the ear upgrade?
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 17:02   #132

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
I just want to know where you got the ear upgrade?
I'm bilingual / Len
Old 23-03-2018, 17:31   #133

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud bug View Post
I for one am so tired of people trying to legislate or push their ideas no matter how unsubstantiated they may be upon others. It always starts with "I FEEL" and then follows with what other people should not be allowed to do. I don't single hand, but I will not stand in the way of others who have the freedom to do as they please. Too many people feel that they know more than others and therefore have the right to tell them what to do. STOP IT!
To right. IMO this thread is just dumb. People singlehand.
Get used to it. Lots of boats out there with crew not taking care
To keep a good watch, going to ban that too? How about the liberal use of alcohol? Just get off your high horse and relax. I bet these guys wanting to ban single handing also live in gated communities that have lots of laws about what you can and cannot do. Modern boats have lots of advantages that they didn't have before. Even saying that, life is a risky business, get used to it or stay home.
If you have a good crew and are keeping a careful watch, what is your problem? Angry you might need to bear off a bit to avoid collision? We all know that big ships and fishing boats don't pay attention, going to ban them too?
For now, on the high seas, you can't do that.
I think most single handlers take good care to maintain a good watch. And no, its no illegal or immoral to do so.
Old 23-03-2018, 17:41   #134

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 52.2

There are sailors of all abilities and experience levels out there, particularly close to coast, where most of the rocks, obstacles and other boats are. A single hander is at least going to have enough experience to have gained the confidence to go it alone, so more ability and less risk than, for example, the man who told his wife if anything ever happens just steer straight ahead. When he fell overboard that's what she did. Sad ending.

So , I reckon morals are sometimes subjective and personal . You can be a risk-averting single hander with high morals.
Nikki S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 18:16   #135

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
Can you quote a COLREG paragraph for that? Mid Atlantic how come that set radar alarm, AIS, navlights, VHF doesn't fulfill the "proper lookout" term? I don't remember that a human has to do the lookout all the time.

Rule 5

Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single, singlehanding