Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2016, 07:12   #16

Boat: Southcoast 36
Re: It is True...are all Boats really always for Sale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Mine is not for sale at ANY price.

Steve
So, would you take $1M for her? $10M? $100M?

Sorry, but EVERYONE has a price.
Winf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:46   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
My sentiments exactly. I don't get emotionally attached to "stuff".
Well...it is a cat after all.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:59   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post

Now the old F250 with the 7.3 diesel, got offers at least every 2-3 months even though toward the end the body was all rusted out. Sold her for more than we paid for her.

Those 7.3's are gold.

I Had a 2002 F350 Lariat 7.3. Sold it in 2007 for 18k at 85,000 miles. Years later they were still selling for that.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:06   #19

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

I am sure someone might come by and offer a ridiculously high price for my boat. But the price I paid for it is only a small part of the equation. I am on my second big(ish) cruiser and I am putting an enormous number of hours and dollars in to her to get her to an acceptable level (safety, ease of operation, understanding how everything works, repairs and refits, enhancements, etc etc).

If I take money for this boat and I wanted to still have a boat, I won't find another boat that will suit my needs and expectations as is except by luck greater than I can imagine and probably more money than I could get for my boat now.

I will sell at some point though as situations change and I want a different boat or stop cruising or whatever. Then I might regret not taking the ridiculous offer before but I doubt it. You make your decisions and go on with your life.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:24   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ha ha ha ha ha rich!!!
what a day you had.
i agree 100k is a lil short for your home with its upgrades. awesome boat, btw--have fun with your work and hurry back here....the sunsets miss you guys
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:36   #21

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

I've had my boat at a mini storage lot in Tennessee before for a few years that had a small lot for vehicles. A few times, the manager came up to me while working on the boat to say someone stopped by asking if it was for sale. He knew I wasn't selling but figured he'd pass on the message anyway. Then there was another guy who had a few vehicles in the lot (apparently because he had no room at his place) who was more persistent, but never heard of any price offers from any who asked. I have no intention of selling my boat in the foreseeable future.

Funny enough, I've had a couple offers for my truck too. But need that to tow the boat.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:59   #22

Boat: Kadey Krogen 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
I am sure someone might come by and offer a ridiculously high price for my boat. But the price I paid for it is only a small part of the equation. I am on my second big(ish) cruiser and I am putting an enormous number of hours and dollars in to her to get her to an acceptable level (safety, ease of operation, understanding how everything works, repairs and refits, enhancements, etc etc).

If I take money for this boat and I wanted to still have a boat, I won't find another boat that will suit my needs and expectations as is except by luck greater than I can imagine and probably more money than I could get for my boat now.

I will sell at some point though as situations change and I want a different boat or stop cruising or whatever. Then I might regret not taking the ridiculous offer before but I doubt it. You make your decisions and go on with your life.
This is my situation and attitude. It would be very hard to recoup what I have spent dialing in my boat. And the work I have done is significant. I would be shocked if someone offered me an amount that would make me sell her. I didn't do it all for recompense. I did it to have an awesome boat that I could be proud of. If I sold her, it would be because I was getting out of sailing.
muttskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:10   #23

Everything is for sale at a price. Especially material things.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:10   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttskie View Post
This is my situation and attitude. It would be very hard to recoup what I have spent dialing in my boat. And the work I have done is significant. I would be shocked if someone offered me an amount that would make me sell her. I didn't do it all for recompense. I did it to have an awesome boat that I could be proud of. If I sold her, it would be because I was getting out of sailing.
I think you are missing the point.

Of course, if someone offers market value on a boat that the owner is happy with and it's not for sale, the owner probably won't sell.

On the other hand, if a buyer offers more than market value, the higher they go, the more likely the owner is to sell. This can happen for a variety of reasons as the market is imperfect. Maybe it's a rich guy who had that boat back when he was poor and wants it for sentimental reasons and paying a 50% premium is worth it to him to get that boat.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:43   #25
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Or, you are falling into a closing trap where the potential buyer is going to contract you into a post-survey fix it or loose it or escrow trap of some sort.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:54   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post

Well put. Thanks.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:36   #27

Truthfully no one should worry about getting an offer on their boat well above market, that is in the league of fairytales these days when it's tough to sell your boat below the market. That said we would not sell right now, too much time and effort into getting the boat set up like we wanted it, too much money thrown at it that we want to get the benifit of and too little time left to buy another boat and spend the time getting it set up just like we want. Right now time is more valuable to us than money.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:53   #28

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winf View Post
So, would you take $1M for her? $10M? $100M?

Sorry, but EVERYONE has a price.
I have very strong feelings about "free money" and the likely negative effects it would have on me and my family.

I stand by my statement.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:56   #29

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

SV Third Day,

If you still have that guys contact info, here is a Hudson 50 that is for sale down our way in Guaymas, Mexico. It is presently stored on the hard. It belongs to an English couple. Have met them and toured the vessel. Nice boat.

1987 hudson Hudson force 50 venice sailboat for sale in Outside United States

My boat is for sale 6 out of 7 days in a week. The day it is not for sale... nothing is broken.

SV Sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:07   #30

Boat: Catalina 30

I have a 67' Mustang in my driveway under a tree, thought I would restore it but got involved with boats instead. I keep it covered and even though I have not moved it in 4 years I still get a call from time to time with cash offers. Crazy.

Have yet to get an offer on our 78' Catalina 30 but do get a lot of people who say nice things because it old school. Give it another few decades.................

Tags
for sale, sale