Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2016, 01:16   #46

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: It is True...are all Boats really always for Sale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
I
Then it happens, the "I have been looking for one of these Hudson Force 50 for years, what will you sell her for?"
He obviously hadn't figured out how to use the internet.
I found several for sale in about 5 seconds.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:49   #47

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I know people say that because it sounds cute...but anyone who actually owns a boat they love and have put sweat equity into it would disagree with that statement.
It's like when people (lookie-loos) tell me a boat is a hole in the water you pour money into, I ask them how that compares to their significant other.
Agreed. I keep getting people who tell new that hole in the water comment so many times that it gets annoying. I simply reply "gladly" and leave it at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Many (most?) of us love our boats, even when fixing the head or scraping the bottom. Maybe a little bit more at other times if I'm honest...

Jim
I love my boat. I have certainly done more work on it than sailing but I still love it. The whole process it's relaxing and fun to me. I would rather be out sailing and that is my motivation to keep going on the work. Then I can enjoy it even more.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:05   #48

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

My Seawind 1000 seems to be a broker magnet. Probably because we keep it waxed, canvas good, updated, etc. Many want to list her. A few say they have clients looking for exact model. I've shown it to two individualsr who have went on to buy the same model. I would probably sell if offer was right as I'd like the Seawind 1160 Lite. I think. There are some downsides to upsizing.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:35   #49

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I sort of consider my boat a piece of functional art. No artist wants to sell an unfinished work. Boats being what they are, it's difficult to finish the project because things are always needing repair or replacement. There is also the pleasure of using something of your own creation. For me it's no sale. Indeed she's up on the hard being expertly repaired from stray current damage and natural rot and I am still up there getting my grubby mitts into the job and trying all the while to stay out if the shipwright's way. (Never get in the way of a guy with sharp tools and a large mallet.)
A good friend of mine is a professional captain for a well to do family of enthusiasts. They have purchased and disposed of three large motor yachts in the last 10 years. Why? No amount if money can finish the project to their satisfaction. We are talking millions of dollars here. They get frustrated and buy a different boat. You can always buy their boat for a few million.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:09   #50

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
I sort of consider my boat a piece of functional art. No artist wants to sell an unfinished work. Boats being what they are, it's difficult to finish the project because things are always needing repair or replacement. There is also the pleasure of using something of your own creation.
I love it! Nicely put!
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:19   #51
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post

If we do ever buy another boat I can guarantee you this...it will have no outside teak...not even a F-ing trim piece!
Best advice I ever heard on this board
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:20   #52

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I think most people will sell almost any material item they own for the right price. If someone seriously offered you $500K for your boat, would you sell it?
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:38   #53

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

I have a friend who, no matter what boat he owns in the present, puts it on the market the day he buys it. He enjoys it, makes small upgrades, maintains it, until he decides to take what's offered. Of course he's only owned power boats and does not live aboard or cruise. He has however owned some nice boats, always has fun on the river, and is far from going broke doing so.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 14:45   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I know a guy who went it and bought a specific hull number, not a make/model/year, but very specifically wanted that specific boat. It was the one he learned to sail on and has a storied past. When he went looking the guy who owned it at the time simply wasn't interested in it, until my friend offered to buy it for 50% more than any sister ship on the market.

There is no boat I have owned I wouldn't have accepted that deal for. But I can't imagine it being common enough to matter practically speaking.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 15:40   #55

Boat: Bristol Channel Cutter

Interesting thread.

I've actually had 3 people make me an offer while we were on the hard. One offer was more than 3 times what we paid for the old girl. I didn't even flinch when I turned the offer down.

I guess it's different when you have a one of a kind wooden boat. To me this little yacht represents freedom, how much is your freedom worth?

Granted that last statement is a little loaded, but the simplicity that we bought is worth a lot more than we paid for it. I'm certain that there's a number that we'll sell at, but there is no way any sane person would be able to make that offer. Which for the purpose of this discussion probably means that she's not for sale at any price.
Eben is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
for sale, sale