Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2016, 12:00   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey. Deck Salon
Question Jumping outside the ICW!

Can someone provide a list of the best. "Day jumps outside the ICW", best overnight jumps headed southbound.

Thanks
Bill
furisgrampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 12:07   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Jumping outside the ICW!

Bill,
I don't have a list handy, but I know that other CF members have posted extensive (long) comments with tips and suggested "outside" trips and inlets.

Here is a list of ICW threads, and with some reading I am sure you will find good suggestions in them. In fact, at least one thread has a similar title to your topic.

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...ICW&gsc.page=1

If you (or others reading this) need crew for your trip, let me know. I am hoping to hop on a boat that is hopping down the ICW or outside this fall. My seabag is packed and I am ready to go on short notice.

Bon Voyage!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 14:03   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

There are as many options and combinations as the factorial of the total number of inlets IE how many different ways you can combine all the inlets like A to B, A to C, A to D, B to C, B to D, etc, etc, etc.

It would help to understand your preferences in this: saving time, bypassing boring/shallow/troublesome sections of the ICW, offshore practice or ???

One thing to bear in mind, in many of the inlets it is a long way from the ICW out the channel to deep water in the ocean. Often 2 - 3 hours, sometimes more. If you're trying to save time then the in and out will eat up most of the savings unless you plan a long offshore hop like an overnight sail.

Will also depend on how far north you're starting and how far south you want to go. When I brought my boat down from New England my outside hops were:

- NYC to Delaware Bay
- Delaware Bay to Norfolk
- Little River SC (very short hop to deep water) to Charleston
- Charleston to Brunswick
- Brunswick to St Johns River (final destination)

Most of these were to save time, some to bypass shallow sections (Charleston to Brunswick).
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 14:29   #4

Google "coastwise distance tables" and this will take you to the NOAA tables that give you that info. For example, Beaufort/ Morehead City to Charleston- 220 n miles. Charleston to Fernandina Beach, Fl., etc.

You can use this to figure the time involved at the cruising speed of your vessel, and you can develop a table of options all the way down to Key West.

Frequently this table is reproduced in the back of the cruising guides from Norfolk to Fl.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw