Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2019, 09:40   #1

Just wondering...

Greetings to all,

I am new to the forum and was wondering if I could trouble some of you with a few questions:

1) Is it unheard of to first buy a boat and then find experienced crew to help you learn how to sail? Are there any really knowledgeable sailors out there that, for one reason or another, are without a boat of their own and would find such an arrangement agreeable, even if just to get out on the water?

2) Is it better to just crew on somebody else's boat, first? I am worried that nobody will want to take on a person that has absolutely no experience. Also, I am not interested in racing or going out on week-ends or just for the day, unless it would be a means of testing our compatibility, before embarking on something more long-term.

3) Should neither of the first two be feasible, could anybody tell me where I might be able to find the highest concentration of cruisers, where I might be able to go to at the very least introduce myself, and start meeting people in the community? I would also be willing to offer my help to just about anybody that might need an extra pair of hands, while they are working on their boat, as long as I am learning while we work.

One way or another, I will eventually get my own boat, and I will live on it and learn how to do everything. To be clear, I am not looking to merely pick up sailing as a hobby. I mention this because, should anybody be willing to overlook my inexperience, they will find an eager, serious, highly capable and competent individual.

I guess, as far as relevant particulars go, I am fluently bilingual (english/french), hold a valid level III first aid certification, and I have completed the PADI Open Water course (which I would need to refresh, should it ever be needed in any kind of official capacity).

I am currently in Mexico (east coast) but would be willing to travel anywhere that might work out for the best. In fact, I was thinking it might be a good idea to head down to Panama, soon.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to any answers or suggestions that any of you may have.
Saline Solution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:34   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39
Re: Just wondering...

Hi, Saline Solutions.

If money is no object, then buying a boat and paying someone to teach you is certainly an option. However, it makes sense to me to get some significant experience before buying a boat, so you have a better idea of what to look for.

For gaining experience, you might try a crew-finder web site, a local sailing club, making contacts at a local marina.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:03   #3

Hi JoeRobertJR,

Thanks for the quick reply. I wouldn't say that money is no object but, as far as I can tell, I do have enough to buy a boat that would have just about everything to be ready to cruise. I doubt that it would already have a water-maker but that is a project that I would look forward to taking on.

I would enjoy hanging out at a marina. Any idea where, at this time of year, that I might be able to meet the highest concentration of people that might also enjoy fielding the many questions that somebody in my position might throw at them, even if it was just to peruse boats and let me know what they think?
Old 01-12-2019, 11:13   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

East coast of Mexico?

There are marinas in Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan, La Cruz, and north in the Golfo de California at La Paz each with some cruisers. It is not the right environment for a day sail, but you would be able to talk with some. The input will probably be better face to face than over the internet.

The reason people often suggest getting involved with racing is that it involves a commitment for a whole season. People without experience are welcomed at low level racing because the skippers like willing crew, and are often willing to train them. It is how I got my start sailing.

I'd advise sailing on other people's boats before you buy. So far as we know, you don't even know if you are prone to motion sickness, as yet, and it can make a difference.

Ann
Old 01-12-2019, 14:25   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Hi Saline, Welcome aboard here. I am guessing you are on the Caribbean side near Veracruz or maybe Cancun? In any case I hear you wanting to hit the gas pedal in your sailing experience... Personally I'd suggest getting some time in a little boat to learn the basics and see if you still like it. That might mean taking a few lessons and then renting a little boat for learning on your own. Then when you step on someone else's boat you'll know what they are asking you to do more quickly, and why. One other option is to find a really good delivery skipper who is willing to take a chance on you, but a good skipper would want to see you have some time on the water and/or references to know if you get sea-sick easily (as Ann pointed out) and how well you react to adversities if (when) they pop up. On the Pacific side I imagine you could find a boat to crew on being delivered back up to California pretty easily, though not right now. If it were me I'd start asking around local marinas for the names of well-regarded delivery skippers and discuss your ideas with complete honesty. You can learn a lot from a good delivery skipper, more than you can in a class or on your own, or even from a boat owner who has known only his or her own boat (or two) and may not have seen as wide a variety of sailing conditions. Good luck to you!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 14:31   #6

Hi Ann,

Thanks for the input. I didn't realize that racing was that much of a commitment. Food for thought.

Any thoughts on Panama? I agree that talking to people, in person, would probably be far more advantageous and informative.
Old 01-12-2019, 14:50   #7

Boat: Mirage 35

Another thing to clarify - your post implies that you are alone.

Learning to sail by the approaches suggested with at least one more crew is feasible based on my experience and observations.

Learning to sail single-handed is another can of worms.
Old 01-12-2019, 14:52   #8

Boat: Volkscruiser

I had a client that spent $300,000 on a catamaran and the first time he went sailing was on the sea trial. He was then hiring a delivery skipper to get the cat to his home port and teach him how to sail. After that he was going to do a circumnavigation. I often wonder if it happened as he did not even know that boats need to be regularly slipped for antifoul!
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 15:42   #9

Hi guys,

Really appreciating the input. Yes, I am alone, and in Cancun as I figured it would be the easiest place to fly out of, if need be.

I certainly am going stir-crazy from enthusiasm, coupled with the fact that it seems like Cancun is no hotbed of cruising activity.

I have been spending most of my time hunting for boats and becoming familiar with sailing, both its terminology and reading what other cruisers have to say about the lifestyle and what they go through on a day-two-day basis, watching a lot of Youtube videos, and downloading books, charts etc.

It's difficult to put into words how much this means to me. Even having finally reached out, through this forum, is helping me build momentum.

As always, thanks for all the input.
Old 01-12-2019, 16:09   #10

Boat: Outremer 50S

At this time of year people are crossing the Atlantic to head for the Caribbean. If you want to jump in head first then making that crossing would give you a good, solid experience. Finding a boat to take on crew with no experience would be a bit of a challenge, personality match will make up for some of that.

Good places to catch rides; the Canaries, but there are usually a lot of hitchhikers there so some competition. Also, the big ARC rally is already underway, but there will be many more boats through December into January. Another option is Capetown, South Africa, wandering the docks at the Royal Cape Yacht Club at this time of year you’d be very likely to find a ride.

If you can wait, the Pacific bound boats will be in Panama in March/April. Shelter Bay Marina on the Colon end is a good place to hitch a ride through the canal and meet people, but it is also very out of the way if you don’t have a boat on which to stay. You could also hang out on the Balboa side, at the yacht club or down at a Flamenco Point, most yachts jumping off for the South Pacific will be provisioning in Panama City.

All of those places are places where you can meet cruisers about to make a big passage and many looking for crew. If you jump to the South Pacific read up on the rules related to travel to French Polynesia. The authorities, and thus your skipper, will want proof you can get back by plane if things don’t work out on the boat.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 17:18   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saline Solution View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes, I am alone, and in Cancun

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Take the ferry over to Isla Mujeres. Many more sailboats are there. Spend a few days, at least.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 17:44   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Saline.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:29   #13

Dsanduril, Stu, thank your the suggestions. I will look into these options, today.

Much obliged for the welcome, GordMay. Happy to be here.