Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2023, 06:57   #16

Re: Kayak or SUP?

We have what I think is a great compromise.
https://vibekayaks.com/products/vibe-cubera-120-hybrid-kayak
Pros: super stable for bigger guys, using a kayak paddle with optional seat makes for a very comfortable seated paddle, durable and we use it instead of inflatable sup for stern ties and taking the dog to shore where PNW oyster shells like to pop the RIB tender, using sup paddle it doubles as a standup.
Cons: not light so 2 person lift or we like to winch it onto the bow, had to add fins to make it track better.
chadcrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 07:10   #17

Boat: Leopard 50

We purchased from Costco a rigid standup/sit on (that had a backrest and foot rest that was foldable). It was called a Supyak. Here is one on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/WAVESTORM-Hyb...19&sr=8-5&th=1
GoodFolkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 07:11   #18

Boat: Leopard 50

Why not have both "Supyak"?

https://www.amazon.com/WAVESTORM-Hyb...19&sr=8-5&th=1
GoodFolkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 07:33   #19

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
Hello.

I'm thinking about investing into a rigid beach toy because I'm a little fed up with the inflatable ones. I really would love to get your input and experiences on the matter.

I'm considering two options at the moment:
  • A rigid SUP, a bit on the longish side as I'm a bit on the heavier side.
  • A rigid Kayak, perhaps for 2 people
At the moment, I'm cruising in the western Mediterranean and I enjoy my inflate SUP very much. It's at a point, that I don't bother inflating the dinghy and mounting the engine, I use mainly the SUP for moving around. I also have an inflatable kayak, but in this area, the SUP is more fun here.

• What would you suggest? What have you had good experience with?
  • How well are SUP working in the Caribbean or along the European Atlantic coast?
  • Are there other options I should be considering?

As mentioned earlier, I also have an inflatable dinghy with a 6 HP outboard engine. I just love to move around without an engine. Keeps me in shape. Both kayaking and SUP are fun, right now the SUP has a little the edge in my current cruising ground.

I can store the Kayak or SUP quite comfortable along the lifelines on the bow. I'm no fan of leaving toys in the water or trailing them. At least for the night, the toy will be safely on board.

Having a solution for 2 people would be a bonus.

I don't plan on cruising colder areas, the toy will be used mainly in warm areas.

I want something rigid, as I have the impression, it's a lot safer to leave a rigid toy on the beach unattended than an inflatable. Also the sun is very harsh on inflatable toys.

I'd be grateful for all input.
as a surfer, water person. There are many open cockpit surf kayaks out there. Lightweight and fun on the water. At the same time, I also have a top rated inflatable SUP. Pumped to it suggested PSI, its solid enough to surf with on smaller swells. But I also have a solid epoxy SUP when really surfing. The inflatable is great for storage on the boat and quick fun. Find a quality inflatable, yep a bit more$$, but worth it.
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 07:51   #20

Boat: Cal-40

I live in the Caribbean and have both an inflatable dingy and SUP. Because my vessel has a Monitor wind vain on the stern I cannot have davits to lift and suspend a dingy so it must be taken on deck forward of the mast. This gets to be a hassle so I’ve just started to use my paddle board much of the time. However it sucks when you need to paddle any great distance against the winds and here on Martinique we are in the trade wind belt. There is no way to securely lock the board and paddle when left un attended and paddle boards are expensive and do get stolen, and of course you need to place everything you carry on the board in waterproof bags because things get wet when paddling in choppy conditions. It can be crowed in Caribbean Island anchorages forcing you to anchor some distance away from things and this makes for a long paddle often a one point against the wind. My vote if you can is to have a high quality inflatable dingy with hard bottom and small light 2stroke engine hanging on the stern of your vessel.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 07:54   #21

I’ve had both and prefer the hard shell for performance though I find them clunky and hard to store when not using them. So I stick with hypalon inflatables boats. Safer too if you had to rely them for a rescue etc.
Goodxcharly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 09:36   #22

In the winter in the Caribbean, the wind blows most of the time at 15-25kts. SUP stayed on my boat all but 1 or 2x a season. My inflatable 1-/2- man kayak was great. Could stow on passages, left on deck when at anchor, towed on short trips.
karkauai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 12:45   #23

For us, the kayak beats SUPs hands down. Particularly if we have other baggage to carry. Have used the SeaEagle for years. It normally sits on the top deck upside down in the dinghy and that one has had zero issues with the sun.
Our second usually rides bottom-out on the side of the top deck and also has done fine.
billdomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 13:29   #24

Boat: Passport 37

If the Ocean Kayak Nalu is still available, they are both kayak and SUP. Switchblade makes paddles with interchangeable t-grip and blade. We’ve had Nalu’s for several years and love them.
mhay61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2023, 18:21   #25

I was out the last weeks, so I wasn't able to reply.

Thank you all for your input. Here are a few answers and comments.

The original owner of my boat made a holder for a RIB on the cabin top where I can sore my dinghy with aluminium bottom. The 6 HP 2-stroke engine goes onto the pushpit. This works fine when a dinghy is needed, however getting the dinghy ready takes time and is cumbersome (specially alone) and needs the help of a halyards. Installing and dismounting the engine is also a bit of a hassle.

As my boat is of older generation and has a wind vane too, davits aren't an option. For personal reasons of aesthetics, I'm not a big fan of towing stuff when underway of leaving toys in the water over night, even if it may be perfectly safe and reasonable.

I'm specially grateful for the people who wrote about their experience in the Caribbean. SUP become less useful here too in autumn when the wind picks up and knowing this is a bigger issue in part of the Caribbean solidified my decision to go with a rigid kayak. Water proof bags etc aren't a concern.

With a weight of 30 to 35 kg, it's still reasonably easy to bring it aboard alone without too much hassles. I was really grateful for the local nautic club to let me try that out with one of theirs.

After some research, I decided on a tandem sit-on-top kayak which also handles well when rowed alone. Being in Europe, the options are a bit different than what's available in the US. I'm going to order an Islander Koa Duo Beach (https://islanderkayaks.com/gb/sit-on...-koa-duo-beach).

After trying out a few tandem kayaks in the local clubs around the port, this one offered the best middle sitting position to row alone, but still works great with two people. The beach model because it doesn't have all the holes cut into it I don't need.

And for calm days I still have the inflatable SUP.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2023, 02:38   #26

Boat: Dufour 365 Grand Large

We are in Costa Brava and outfitted in a similar fashion.
-2.4m inflatable dingy with epropulsion
-3 up inflatable kayak (decathlon)
-Planning get a 2up SUP. Right now I'm planning to get an inflatable SUP (Decathalon likely).

I never even considered a canoe, although I've done alot of canoeing back in the US. I haven't seen a single canoe here...

I don't like the storage on deck although we occasionally put the kayak on top of the starboard side of the cabin so we can walk the life lines still. The has dingy has davits or is stowed on the bow over the vee berth. We only do this when we are making short cala hops, I like the deck clear when we are really "sailing."

I really like the ability to deflate and stow everything in a lazarette (11m Dufour owner's edition with a huge lazerettee port side).

We lean towards the inflatable SUP because the complete tucked away storage option. Not so worried about paddling efficiently, but there is a discernible difference between the inflatable and rigid SUP. If I was land based I'd get a rigid, it would be a no brainer. But on a boat storage becomes very important to us.

What is your safety concern WRT inflatables left on the beach? We do this often so I'm wondering what we haven't considered.
Sailer_Med is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2023, 03:25   #27

Thank you for the input. I'm by the way at the other side of the country cruising around the Costa Calida and the Costa de Almeria at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailer_Med View Post
What is your safety concern WRT inflatables left on the beach? We do this often so I'm wondering what we haven't considered.
This might be my personal paranoia, but I'm of the impression, inflatable toys get played with by unauthorised people more easily while rigid ones are left alone. However, I don't have any data to back that up. It might just be me.

The other aspect, why I like the idea of a rigid transport is that it's more robust when beached or close to the shore.

As I wrote above, after some soul-searching, I think a rigid tandem kayak will offer me the biggest additional value while cruising to complement the inflatable SUP. As my boat is a little bigger than yours and I have quite a lot of standing rigging going before the mast, storing the kayak along the lifelines won't affect me much. My SUP is stored there when coastal cruising without problems. For passages, longer passages, I like a clean deck too, but I think I can make this work sufficiently well for my needs.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2023, 05:51   #28

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

SUPs are fun. Sit on top polyethylene Kayaks are work horses. They are way easier for power and control in strong currents, winds and choppy waters. You can fish from them, carry gear in the dry sack compartment (phone, mobile VHF, water, first aid etc etc), you can run them up a pebble beach without fear, you can even paddle over corals in 3" of water with much less likelihood of falling in and cutting yourself. They don't rot much in the sun and are relatively easy to repair with plastic welding rods. Also when you have non water sport guests on board getting them up to speed on a kayak is way easier than an SUP. My 2 cents worth.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2023, 17:03   #29

Boat: 1974 Pearson 26 1984 Pearson 34

The canoe idea is pretty awesome but that price is a total shocker!
I picked up a good used pair of 11' inflatable SUPs for $400...think I'll "stick".
Rol1964 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Kayak