Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2023, 04:44   #1

Question Kayak or SUP?

Hello.

I'm thinking about investing into a rigid beach toy because I'm a little fed up with the inflatable ones. I really would love to get your input and experiences on the matter.

I'm considering two options at the moment:
  • A rigid SUP, a bit on the longish side as I'm a bit on the heavier side.
  • A rigid Kayak, perhaps for 2 people
At the moment, I'm cruising in the western Mediterranean and I enjoy my inflate SUP very much. It's at a point, that I don't bother inflating the dinghy and mounting the engine, I use mainly the SUP for moving around. I also have an inflatable kayak, but in this area, the SUP is more fun here.

• What would you suggest? What have you had good experience with?
  • How well are SUP working in the Caribbean or along the European Atlantic coast?
  • Are there other options I should be considering?

As mentioned earlier, I also have an inflatable dinghy with a 6 HP outboard engine. I just love to move around without an engine. Keeps me in shape. Both kayaking and SUP are fun, right now the SUP has a little the edge in my current cruising ground.

I can store the Kayak or SUP quite comfortable along the lifelines on the bow. I'm no fan of leaving toys in the water or trailing them. At least for the night, the toy will be safely on board.

Having a solution for 2 people would be a bonus.

I don't plan on cruising colder areas, the toy will be used mainly in warm areas.

I want something rigid, as I have the impression, it's a lot safer to leave a rigid toy on the beach unattended than an inflatable. Also the sun is very harsh on inflatable toys.

I'd be grateful for all input.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2023, 08:45   #2

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Kayak or SUP?

Well, I'd suggest a canoe if you want to do that, if you can get a good one in that part of the world.

I have one of these. If I had it to do over again, I'd get the ultralight layup (20 kg):

https://wenonah.com/Canoes.aspx?id=12

Carries two people. You can stand and paddle it like a paddleboard if you want. More versatile than a two-person kayak because you can carry gear and odd-shaped items. I've towed mine at times. It's awkward on the side decks but can be done. They don't handle rough conditions particularly well, not as well as a good dinghy.
Old 25-07-2023, 08:50   #3

Here's a photo from a camping trip. We carried everything we needed for the night across the lake in one trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201004_230015579.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	278684  
Old 25-07-2023, 10:14   #4

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
Hello.

I'm thinking about investing into a rigid beach toy because I'm a little fed up with the inflatable ones. I really would love to get your input and experiences on the matter.

I'm considering two options at the moment:
  • A rigid SUP, a bit on the longish side as I'm a bit on the heavier side.
  • A rigid Kayak, perhaps for 2 people
At the moment, I'm cruising in the western Mediterranean and I enjoy my inflate SUP very much. It's at a point, that I don't bother inflating the dinghy and mounting the engine, I use mainly the SUP for moving around. I also have an inflatable kayak, but in this area, the SUP is more fun here.

• What would you suggest? What have you had good experience with?
  • How well are SUP working in the Caribbean or along the European Atlantic coast?
  • Are there other options I should be considering?

As mentioned earlier, I also have an inflatable dinghy with a 6 HP outboard engine. I just love to move around without an engine. Keeps me in shape. Both kayaking and SUP are fun, right now the SUP has a little the edge in my current cruising ground.

I can store the Kayak or SUP quite comfortable along the lifelines on the bow. I'm no fan of leaving toys in the water or trailing them. At least for the night, the toy will be safely on board.

Having a solution for 2 people would be a bonus.

I don't plan on cruising colder areas, the toy will be used mainly in warm areas.

I want something rigid, as I have the impression, it's a lot safer to leave a rigid toy on the beach unattended than an inflatable. Also the sun is very harsh on inflatable toys.

I'd be grateful for all input.
my limited experience is that a kayak will provide transportation and minor hauling capabilities in a much larger range of weather and sea state.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2023, 13:30   #5

All your options have merit and drawbacks. I've used rigid kayaks, SUP's, and inflatable SUPs, as well as double kayaks and canoes. None will totally replace your dinghy and engine for pure utility in less than ideal conditions.

I found the inflatable SUP, along with a detachable seat, to be a versatile and fun option to have on board. It's easy to stow and launch. Rigid SUPs are more fun to paddle but are far more fragile and easy to damage on board and getting in and our of the water.

Plastic kayaks are very durable but heavy and take up considerable deck space, as well as collect water under way. Double kayaks are very big and heavy. Same with canoes, plus they are really tough in windy conditions.

I'd suggest one or two inflatable SUP's with seats as your best option. Not really sure about your theft concerns with inflatables, but you can probably get creative.

Mark
SunnyIsleMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2023, 16:27   #6

Boat: Lagoon 380

I like sup’s because they are thin and fit onto the lifelines well.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2023, 02:30   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyIsleMark View Post
All your options have merit and drawbacks. I've used rigid kayaks, SUP's, and inflatable SUPs, as well as double kayaks and canoes. None will totally replace your dinghy and engine for pure utility in less than ideal conditions.
Hello Mark,

thanks for the input. I always will have a regular inflatable dinghy with a Yamaha 6 hp 2-stroke. I'm aware that there are many situations, where it will be necessary. So that's a given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyIsleMark View Post
Not really sure about your theft concerns with inflatables, but you can probably get creative.
This might be only a problem in my imagination, but it makes me feel safer when I leave it on the beach.

The weight and the size along the lifelines are a big concern. I really need to take exact measurements what fits well without impairing sailing. A tandem-SUP (15' by 35") fits, but I don't have figured out the exact width and depth I can live with. About the weight I'm less concerned, I have to use a hoist for the dinghy and using it to make life easier for the toy would only be a minor inconvenience.
Old 28-07-2023, 02:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by team karst View Post
I like sup’s because they are thin and fit onto the lifelines well.
Have you used SUP in the Caribbean? Is the sea-state calm enough to use them standing up on the average day at anchor? I find SUP most fun using them standing up. If I have sit down most of the time, then I could go with a Kayak or similar.
Old 28-07-2023, 02:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Well, I'd suggest a canoe if you want to do that, if you can get a good one in that part of the world.

I have one of these. If I had it to do over again, I'd get the ultralight layup (20 kg):

https://wenonah.com/Canoes.aspx?id=12

Carries two people. You can stand and paddle it like a paddleboard if you want. More versatile than a two-person kayak because you can carry gear and odd-shaped items. I've towed mine at times. It's awkward on the side decks but can be done. They don't handle rough conditions particularly well, not as well as a good dinghy.
Thank you Jammer,

that looks like an interesting option. I'm wondering however how the Canoes hold up when getting capsized and filled with water? Are they still floating or do you have to get out the bucket to empty them?
Old 28-07-2023, 02:42   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
my limited experience is that a kayak will provide transportation and minor hauling capabilities in a much larger range of weather and sea state.
Yes, that makes them attractive to me too. But they take up more space and are usually heavier. Here in the western Mediterranean, I'm quite happy with a SUP, because the weather is quite calm. That's why I asked for experiences from the Caribbean and the Panama area. If I have mostly rougher sea state there, the SUP will lose its main benefit.
Old 28-07-2023, 08:29   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
Thank you Jammer,

that looks like an interesting option. I'm wondering however how the Canoes hold up when getting capsized and filled with water? Are they still floating or do you have to get out the bucket to empty them?

That one I can answer from experience since I have capsized canoes on numerous occasions when encountering a obstruction in the river in fast current, in addition to practicing capsize recoveries.

Corner cases aside, all canoes have flotation. Older canoes made of wood have intrinsic flotation. Canoes made of aluminum have air tanks at each end. Canoes made of composite material have a combination of intrinsic flotation from foam in the layup, combined with air tanks at each end. So while a capsized canoe will fill with water, it will not sink.

When recovering from a capsize it is ordinarily possible to get most of the water out of the canoe before reboarding it by rolling the canoe on its side and pouring the water out. In deep water this is a skill that has to be practiced, easier with PFDs on, easier with two people. This will leave a couple of inches of water in the canoe. The idea is you then reboard and bail out and sponge out the remaining water. If you can get to shallow enough water to be able to stand it is possible to empty out substantially all of the water.

I use food service ice scoops as bailing buckets and have them in all my smaller boats (rowing dinghy, motorboat, canoe), along with a large sponge. I use an endless loop of 2mm bungee cord with a lark's head on both ends to attach them to something on the boat so they don't get lost:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BC5EKS

Canoes are extremely common in the lakes and rivers surrounding the Great Lakes. They've been made in several generations of modern materials for well over a century. The basic design and lines are largely the same as that of the lightweight birch bark canoes used by indigenous people in the same area. Then as now they were designed to be light enough to carry, suitable for one or two people plus freight, able to move through extremely shallow water, and maneuverable enough for use in rivers with a good deal of current.

Locally here, they remain widely used as a means of access to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness and the Quetico Provincial Park, where people use them for camping trips typically lasting a week or so with a combination of water and portage (footpath) segments.
Old 28-07-2023, 09:03   #12

Boat: Passport 40

SUP will keep you in better shape but is limited to what it can do other then move you around the water. its got to easy to use otherwise you wont use it often. ridged is good when you can keep on your boat so its close to the water. I have both.
Srpulpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2023, 01:06   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Fiberglass canoes are quite stable, and durable.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2023, 07:17   #14

Thanks Jammer,

that puts a lot of concerns to rest. I think I'll have to investigate the Kayak or Canoe option a bit closer, specially how well they'll store on the boat and how easy they're to get in and out of water when handling them alone. Specially considering those than easily can seat 2 people on the heavier side (90 kg or 200 lbs).
Old 29-07-2023, 07:18   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Fiberglass canoes are quite stable, and durable.
That's good to know, although in this kind of environment I prefer skis.

Tags
Kayak