Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2020, 12:56   #136

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: La Vagabonde as celebrities

Clearly, they are celebrities. This is their job. Good on them.

I see no problem donating on whatever one likes to donate. One will donate to a stray cat asylum, someone else to celebrities, somebody else to both, and few to none.

Where exactly is the problem?

barnakiel
Old 03-06-2020, 13:07   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

I see no problem donating on whatever one likes to donate. One will donate to a stray cat asylum, someone else to celebrities, somebody else to both, and few to none.

barnakiel
There is really no problem, unless you're dimwittingly donating your hard earned dough to someone who may have a higher income than you, or giving them money you could be spending on your own boat.

Even then, there's no problem.

You can also send money to the Kardashians, or the cast of the Jersey Shore.

Better yet, get off the YouTube, man. That stuff is addictive and will rot your brain.
Old 03-06-2020, 13:18   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post

(...)

Better yet, get off the YouTube, man. That stuff is addictive and will rot your brain.

Do not use my specific post and give me generic advice, mate!

If youtube celebrities rot (rotten?) you brain, YOU switch off youtube, NOT ME!

I am not on youtube ... unless it is AC, VOR or Crew Dragon launch ... which are free to watch and ask no donations.

Youtube addictive? And how many hours an average Westerner spends watching TV daily? Or Twitting, Facebooking or otherwise mindlessly using their smarphone?

Why is youtube suddenly worse than any other opium for the masses?

Then again imagine all those old cruisers tinkering with their old rotten teak decks (or always failing Rocnas ...) - what is so noble in the cruising lifestyle that would give us any right to bash youtube addicts?

So. I am with you. But then again I am not.

Respectfully,
barnakiel
Old 03-06-2020, 13:25   #139

I could not find them damn cons for my above posts ..

here they come!

opcorn:

Yours,

b-kiel
Old 03-06-2020, 13:30   #140

Quote:
Do not use my specific post and give me generic advice, mate!
You can watch Youtube and donate to someone's Patreon account, or you can go to the store and buy something nice for your own lovely boat or lady.

It's absolutely your call, and it absolutely doesn't matter to me which you do.
Old 03-06-2020, 13:33   #141

Boat: Rafiki 37

It's their job, it's like producing a film on Netflix or something, just funded in a different way.

Making videos fulltime is a lot of work.
Old 03-06-2020, 13:35   #142

Boat: Rival Sailing Yacht 34ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeroniPete View Post
I've been following La Vagabonde since we were in the Med at the same time as them in 2015. They're a wonderful young couple leading an alternative yachting lifestyle and surviving on their wits. I can't really believe that people would criticise them for providing a really entertaining channel so people can see what's possible if you are determined enough to unhook from a normal suburban existence and head out into the wild blue yonder. Elayna in no way flaunts her obvious beauty, let's face it she can't hide it unless she walks around dressed in a sack all day. If you're concerned about the excesses of human-kind, I'd say there are plenty of other places you could look before criticising this terrific young family.
Hi Pete,
I did not intend to criticise them it was my personal observation that I think they have become more commercial.I admire them always have, they are doing what I lot of other people would love to do.I started sailing 60 years ago no doubt if YouTube had been around I may have considered using it.As to is I have sailed around the world mostly single handed so I have lived my dream.
Old 03-06-2020, 13:37   #143
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: La Vagabonde as celebrities

What I'd like to know is...
How come Greta never goes to India... or China where the Smog is already back to pre Covid levels.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
Old 03-06-2020, 13:44   #144

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Nope, "Experts" tell you what they want you to hear. You get the facts filtered through their biases.

Smart people follow the motto of the Royal Society: Nullius in Verba

Which roughly translates as "take no one's word for it".

Find out for yourself by learniing the underlying science and observing the evidence.

I repeat: Where's the science behind the quote from her UN speech. It sure ain't anywhere in the last IPCC report. That's just what she has been told is in the report by her activists
I don’t trust anyone, including myself. Check the data. Look for peer review. Understand the discussions. Don’t memorize the talking points – understand.

It’s pretty hard to argue credibly that climate change does not exist. The Northwest Passage is a good example. Lots of smart, conservative people are pouring money into port infrastructure up there because they see the trend toward longer seasons continuing. The Gulf Stream across the Atlantic is definitely shifting South. Why do you think British and Dutch academia are so focused on the Gulf Stream? It moderates their climate and the viability of their economies is dependent on it.

There is certainly room for discussion about the impact of humanity on the change. How much is cyclic and how much is us? While less clear it is also hard to argue that reducing pollution including but not limited to greenhouse gases is sensible. I’m personally less convinced of the merit or even possibility of zero emissions.

There is a lot of cherry picking of data by both sides of the debate. Frankly the climate change deniers don’t have very credible arguments. The environmentalists on the other hand have an agenda of their own. Solar power is a great example. While they embrace it with fervor it is clearly neither green nor renewable. Yet they eschew nuclear power which has the lowest environmental footprint. Some of that is NIMBY and some is preconceived notions.

I rant. Forgive me.

The science is entirely independent of railing against Ms. Thunberg who has no understanding of what she says. I have a niece on the spectrum. I know how difficult they can be. Ms. Thunberg has leveraged her behavior into the spotlight. She is no more a source for useful information than the Food Babe. She really should be in school learning with whatever support her special needs dictate. She has no reason to be promoting misinformation on the world stage.
Old 03-06-2020, 13:52   #145
cruiser

Quote:

barnakiel
Did you 'donate;? lol
Old 03-06-2020, 13:53   #146

Boat: 1975 Downeaster 38' Cutter

They were a lot of fun before the catamaran, very relatable and enjoyable. Not so much since they've made it, I dont begrudge them and I salute them for "making it". But I've stopped watching as it is no longer relatable.
Old 03-06-2020, 13:56   #147
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie View Post
I use to follow this family in their adventures. Not anymore. bit fedup of their uselessness and their 'mendicity'. Its becoming a bit a voyeur's activity. I'm interested in sailing topics, technics, adventures, but showing ass as a selling point, inventing false drama, and finaly showing off the success of their welfare demands is a bit disgusting. Good for them if they still find interested support, that let them have an significant income out of charities....
So you say they are exactly like the Kardashians!
Old 03-06-2020, 15:04   #148

Boat: Lagoon 440

I quit watching them. Their posts are less about sailing and more about reality of a good looking couple and their baby. No longer interested.
Old 03-06-2020, 15:20   #149

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Coincidentally noticed this thread after binge-watching this couple's adventures:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDm...U1epfKM_ZiUJZA
I was looking for information on the Dry Tortugas and they had some videos about the area.
At any rate, I give them credit for doing a lot of work to repair and refit the three boats they've owned and they're out their doing their thing and enjoying a life of sailing and exploration.

...and whenever I find myself in Portugal, I'm buying boatman several beers. He doesn't even have to speak to me. I just thoroughly enjoyed those last several posts.
Old 03-06-2020, 15:37   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Did you 'donate;? lol

A couple of times. Unfortunately, I am only moderately rich. Likely due to donating too much.

barnakiel
Closed Thread