Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2020, 08:23   #16

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: La Vagabonde as celebrities

Is it weird I’ve never watched even a minute of YouTube video having to do with sailing?
Old 02-06-2020, 08:51   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Is it weird I’ve never watched even a minute of YouTube video having to do with sailing?

You haven't watched this one? You should!

Old 02-06-2020, 08:53   #18

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl.NZ View Post
Patrick Childress is a lot more informative.
I really enjoy Patrick and Rebecca's videos, and I've been fortunate to chat with them online frequently. Sadly, right now Patrick is gravely ill with COVID-19, and is on a ventilator and dialysis in a hospital in Cape Town. Rebecca got the virus too, but didn't have serious symptoms. We are not allowed to post GoFundMe links here, but they are in need if you can help.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 02-06-2020, 08:56   #19

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

I started watching some other Youtubers (and have watched La Vagabonde a few times). I, too, want to "learn" more than be entertained. So my list of channels is pretty focused. I like the O'Reilly's the best!
Old 02-06-2020, 09:06   #20

Boat: Jeanneau 27

Unfortunately La Vagabond hasn't been exploring much like they did in the beginning. Most videos now are about what dock they are parked at , or who's house they are staying in. I watch YouTube mostly for the how to, or places to go. No issue with them making money, I just don't care for their content.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:37   #21

Boat: Bayliner 2655

Quote:
Originally Posted by stark View Post
We are currently in a very distressing period of mass unemployment, a raging pandemic, racial tensions, and civil unrest. I'll admit that go to YouTube to escape reality for a bit, but I started thinking while watching La Vagabonde's latest episode, how can we justify donating probably somewhat greater than $1 million to a YouTube couple when there are so many people is such dire situations. It's just my opinion, but I had a very visceral reaction to their last video and I've just reached a point of disgust (or perhaps its resentment) of their superfluous lifestyle. Ok, so am I alone here?
I followed on You tube for a time but when it became watch the baby Channel, Same is happening on Delos now. I lost interest in them they have very different viewpoints Than I but its a watch or don't kind of thing, I'm Friends with James from Sailing Zingaro and have followed him from the start. More fun and sorry the only sailors I watch with kids is The oggs because their friends of the family hes a Mill Wright and buds with My son.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:37   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Owning a Pearson 36-1, Sailing Uma got me watching their renovation videos with great interest. If you really want to watch a renovation project, check out "Odd Life Crafting" produced by two young Brazilians who found a boat that was left on the hard for 20 years. It was in great condition inside, but needed a total paint job, cleaning of the fuel and water tanks, etc. They are doing a really good job. Watching the episodes where they and a couple of riggers build a mast from scratch, well, just the extrusion.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:42   #23

Boat: Leopard 45

I agree with those who are living the dream and don't have a need to watch (or pay for) someone else's dreams. I feel I'm living the dream with my Leopard 445 floating in Sunsails fleet in the Caribbean, but I still enjoy seeing how others are enjoying the full time cruising life. Along with several others who are trying to make a living off their blogs, including Sailing Delos, Project Atticus, Sailing Zatara, Sailing Soulianis, and a hundred more. I must admit it gives me a vicarious sense of being there as I am not living the cruising life full time, spending less than three months of the year on board with a crew of my choosing.
I for one enjoy watching the dialogue and adventures of the various sailing blogs and actually feel a bit guilty about not contributing to the entertainment they offer. It is a time consuming job putting a half hour blog together in way that has a somewhat professional look. I say they deserve every penny from every patron they have. I have followed Elayna and Riley from the start and find them entertaining, as well as educational. They don't sugar coat the fact that there is hard work maitaining a boat as well as putting a half hour blog together. I know I'll continue watching them as well as several other sailing blogs that I find entertaing as well as educational.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:49   #24

Boat: Leopard 45

Sailing Uma and project Atticus are 2 blogs I do enjoy because of the hard work these two couples have gone through to put their less than glamorous sloops together puting sweat equity into their boats. It's an entirely different take from the spacious new catamaran on LaVagabonde.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:52   #25

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by OloteleMtn View Post
I gave up watching them when they gave Greta Thunberg a ride.
Yup, us too!
Old 02-06-2020, 09:55   #26

Boat: Ted Brewer, Bulldog 30' built in aluminum

If you find yourself inland, separated from your boat, socially isolated from usual watering holes and easy comaraderie, YouTube is chock-a-block with sailing vlogs and videos.

Rather than single out SLV specifically for praise or scorn, I'd suggest using this thread to post your current favs:

I love the O'Kellys (Nick's a meteorologist btw) for many reasons;

Project Atticus was fun watching them build the hard dodger (good job and teamwork); endless hours watching Acorn to Arabella (level of craftsmanship and excellent film making: won awards at Wooden Boat festival);

Ruby Rose, Untie the Lines (gurl has grit), Doodles, SV Brick House (get well Patrick)...many more.
What else are we missing?

Full disclosure, I have not as of yet contributed, but O'Kellys and Acorn are first on my list...and watching Nikki Henderson on SLV proved invaluable to their Winter crossing.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:23   #27

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Have tuned into a few of La Vagabonde utubes but havent made it thru a complete one yet...reminds me of the T & A that can drive post-pubescent interests-and I am still young at heart...but BIG AL, thanks for mentioning Childress....just watched my first childress video and will be watching more for their informative content, re: sailing...
Old 02-06-2020, 10:35   #28
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

The secret, if you choose to watch LaVagabond types of videos, is to get a life of your own!

Then its simply entertainment and not a marker, for you to judge yourself .
Old 02-06-2020, 10:49   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
This is cruisers forum. Aren't we all living a similar lifestyle i.e cruising on out boats?
My thoughts too. As I sail our little 31ft yacht along the coast, there are people sat on the beach watching and wishing they had a boat. The world isn't fair, but I am grateful for what I have.

Pete
Old 02-06-2020, 10:52   #30

Boat: Hinckley 59
Send a message via AIM to caffel

I sense some disappointment that the new Black Pearl doesn't have its own mini-series (yet).
Closed Thread