Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2020, 00:06   #76
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: La Vagabonde as celebrities

This discussion had me wondering about "perceived value" in all of this.

The sailing icons like Slocum, Bernard Motessier etc, sailed and bumbed around the world, receiving freebies everywhere, then wrote and sold books about their adventures.

They were revered and no one questioned their ethics.

If the popular sailing video bloggers stopped offering access for Free and you had to pay to see their Videos, would that then make them "Respectable" ?
Old 03-06-2020, 00:23   #77

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy744 View Post
When you get handed an a million dollar cat there are going to be some strings.
This is false as has been reiterated many times in other La Vagabonde threads.
Old 03-06-2020, 00:33   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
This discussion had me wondering about "perceived value" in all of this.

The sailing icons like Slocum, Bernard Motessier etc, sailed and bumbed around the world, receiving freebies everywhere, then wrote and sold books about their adventures.

They were revered and no one questioned their ethics.

If the popular sailing video bloggers stopped offering access for Free and you had to pay to see their Videos, would that then make them "Respectable" ?
That’s a great question. They produce good quality videos, and they’re an attractive couple. To me, it’s more like reality TV than writing books.

I don’t think the debate is so much about “respectable” as it is about asking for donations when you’re already getting paid.

That’s my perception, anyway.
Old 03-06-2020, 00:35   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
I don’t think anything was handed to them , and I think they make their own choices. To me, they seem about as authentic as can be.

Also, it’s no accident that their videos are high quality. It’s hard work to produce anything of quality.
Old 03-06-2020, 00:51   #80

Quote:
YouTube Couple Land Dream Yacht!! (Full Version)

I would say they earn it then.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:05   #81

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

All the speculation has been debunked many times. Here is a previous summary, and in that thread some other members added some additional info too:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3024281

(related videos in that link too)

Quote:
For those speculating about how they got the Outremer (and posting incorrect info) the details are all in videos on their channel:

- Riley saw an Outremer in Venezuela, spent Christmas with the owners, and fell in love with the boat
- Riley contacted the Outremer CEO and said "have I got a deal for you..."
- Outremer's Marketing Manager was already a follower and a fan of their YouTube channel
- They went to France for a boatyard tour, meetings, and eventually a deal
- They participated in the Outremer Cup on different boats while they were there
- Outremer gave them "a reduced price on the boat"
- Because of the channel they were also able to get "a big discount on sails and navigational gear"
- Outremer helped them with getting finance (borrowing money is cheap in France these last years)
- They are paying off the loan using the income from the YouTube channel
- The initial proposal may have been for 1 year but that may have changed during negotiations (in any case it's been a success, and has been extended)

So no free boat. A reduced price, discounts on other gear, and some assistance finding finance in a foreign country.

All in all not particularly unusual given the circumstances of the mutually beneficial arrangement between themselves and Outremer.

Either way it's good to stick to the facts though, irrespective of whether you like them or their channel.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:25   #82
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Nope, "Experts" tell you what they want you to hear. You get the facts filtered through their biases.

Smart people follow the motto of the Royal Society: Nullius in Verba

Which roughly translates as "take no one's word for it".

Find out for yourself by learniing the underlying science and observing the evidence.

I repeat: Where's the science behind the quote from her UN speech. It sure ain't anywhere in the last IPCC report. That's just what she has been told is in the report by her activists
Nah, I'm not but I'm not going to get into a debate with a climate science denier. I don't think anyone should, anymore, either. This isn't an alternative viewpoint, it's simply science denial. It's akin to putting 'Karen the anti-vaxxer' on the same footing as an immunologist. Or someone who believes that Bill Gates is trying to develop a vaccine to inject mind control nanobots that will be activated by 5G or similar rubbish.

It's usually, but not limited to, middle aged white men, right wing with authoritarian tendencies, who rail against Greta and climate science and it's no surprise that you fit this category. And those who are similarly minded. A more interesting conversation to me is why is this so? Fear of being left behind by a world that is changing and not responding to authoritarian attempts to control it and make it go back? There's a lot of support for that argument. There's certainly been a lot written about why people do that. Interestingly there's a lot of overlap on the Venn diagram of those people and conspiracy theorists. I'm much more interested in a more academic conversation trying to understand the why behind this.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:09   #83

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
Nah, I'm not but I'm not going to get into a debate with a climate science denier. I don't think anyone should, anymore, either.
I'm much more interested in a more academic conversation trying to understand the why behind this
Yep, you're right.

Stephan Lewandowsky and John Cook can explain it all to your satisfaction.

You win. Bye!
Old 03-06-2020, 02:11   #84

Quote:
All the speculation has been debunked many times. Here is a previous summary, and in that thread some other members added some additional info too:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3024281

(related videos in that link too)
Well thats good, no strings attached then.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:11   #85

As a "member of more advanced years" I have nothing but admiration for Riley and Elayna (and Lennie). Also for The Wynns, Project Atticus, The Riley's, Zatara and Sailing Seadog. All great people, although with different approaches, they are making their plan work. It is simple, if you do not like what you see do not watch or contribute. Find what works for you. As I lost my blue water sailboat in a business transaction it will be a while before I can join them, but I will!

Climate change? - something is causing the palm trees on many beaches to erode and topple over into the water. Nature, mankind or a combination? Time will tell.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:13   #86

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Yep, you're right. You win. Bye!

Yep, obviously a common sense denier.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:16   #87

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper Sunset View Post
Climate change? - something is causing the palm trees on many beaches to erode and topple over into the water. Nature, mankind or a combination? Time will tell.

Yep, it's unprecedented. They never did that before 1950.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:19   #88
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Yep, you're right.

Stephan Lewandowsky and John Cook can explain it all to your satisfaction.

You win. Bye!

It's not about winning and it's sad you think that way. But ok, cool.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:31   #89

I was just lucky, I had an email from a Nigerian Prince and he bought me my boat.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:51   #90

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

There is no need to insult people because they have a different view to yours !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
Nah, I'm not but I'm not going to get into a debate with a climate science denier. I don't think anyone should, anymore, either. This isn't an alternative viewpoint, it's simply science denial. It's akin to putting 'Karen the anti-vaxxer' on the same footing as an immunologist. Or someone who believes that Bill Gates is trying to develop a vaccine to inject mind control nanobots that will be activated by 5G or similar rubbish.

It's usually, but not limited to, middle aged white men, right wing with authoritarian tendencies, who rail against Greta and climate science and it's no surprise that you fit this category. And those who are similarly minded. A more interesting conversation to me is why is this so? Fear of being left behind by a world that is changing and not responding to authoritarian attempts to control it and make it go back? There's a lot of support for that argument. There's certainly been a lot written about why people do that. Interestingly there's a lot of overlap on the Venn diagram of those people and conspiracy theorists. I'm much more interested in a more academic conversation trying to understand the why behind this.
Closed Thread