Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2020, 11:18   #1

Boat: Shannon Shoalsailer
Latitudes and Attitudes - hit by fire disaster

Bob Bitchin and family escaped the fire but lost their home - he exemplifies his motto:

"attitude is the difference between ordeal and adventure"

https://www.lx.com/environment/nbclx...ldfires/19666/

Good Luck in this next adventure.
Bay Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 11:33   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc
Re: Latitudes and Attitudes - hit by fire disaster

No disrespect for Bob and his family, or any others affected by natural disasters. But has this guy even owned a boat for the last ten years???

Seems that the "Lost Soul" was sold off when Latts and Atts changed hands, and the Bitchin Shannon project was auctioned off........ unfinished.

Really haven't paid too much attention since it it became "Cruising Outpost".
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 11:39   #3

Boat: Shannon Shoalsailer

[QUOTE=Davy J;3233484]No disrespect for Bob and his family, or any others affected by natural disasters. But has this guy even owned a boat for the last ten years???

Guess it's a case of "The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea by Yukio Mishima"

A little sympathy and empathy for sailors and landlubbers alike.
Bay Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 12:16   #4

Having lost a house and everything I owned in it myself one time, I do have a lot of sympathy for Bob and Jodi.

It's not an experience that I would wish on anyone, and you never really come back. The worst was losing fifty years of pictures and memories.
Old 16-09-2020, 08:13   #5

Boat: Columbia 45

Having been a subscriber of Lats and Atts since the 90's, Bob and Jodi have fueled the dreams of so many of us for years and continue to do so. They have had to deal with a lot over the past few years. Their loss from the fire alone would be enough to wipe most folks out. But not Bob and Jodi.

For me i have to say, thank you for the dreams, the memories from the sail the sail to Tahiti, and for their friendship. My thoughts and prayers are with you!
jjt5795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 08:18   #6

Boat: Spindrift 43

They really have had a few hard knocks. I remember when they had to give up their Shannon project because Jodi came down with cancer. I hope the resilience they had back them that allowed them to to recover from that helps carry them through this time.

Wishing them all the best.
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 13:49   #7

Boat: Catalina 320

Having spent a week with them and around 60 others on a "Share the Sail" charter in the BVI a year or so ago, I can see how running such sailing endeavors as part of the magazine business can sometimes crowd out boat ownership. They worked their butts off organizing the event; more effort than I put in just owning and cruising my boat.
Sailnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 06:50   #8

Latts and Atts is really the first magazine that opened up the whole idea of cruising to me, and at a pretty young age.

But, for reading those magazines, I'm not sure a boy from north Mississippi would have ever found the sea.
Old 17-09-2020, 14:47   #9

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

There should be a Bob Bitchen "go fund me". If everyone sent $10.00 it would help. Just saying.
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 14:58   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Knew Bob from his ‘Easy Rider’ editor days...

adventure biker sailor outlaw biker humor about life

About Bob Bitchin
Adventure has been a way of life for Bob Bitchin since the early sixties, when his name was coined by the comedy team of Cheech and Chong (his birth-name is Robert Lipkin). He worked as a traveling companion and bodyguard for famous motorcycle daredevil Evil Knievel, promoted motorcycle shows, and created Biker Magazine and Tattoo Magazine in the 70's and early 80's. He also worked as editor of many of the motorcycle magazines of that era, and wrote for other publications as diverse as Forbes, Penthouse and New Look. During that time he rode his motorcycles across the country over 30 times, and around Europe as well. He was the founding president of the Motorcycle Press Association in 1978 and co-founder of A.B.A.T.E., a national organization of motorcyclists.
In December of 1973 He and riding partner LACO Bob Lawrence, President of the Los Angeles Chapter of the Hells Angels co-created the very first Toy run, which now takes place in thousands of cities world-wide.
In the early 70's he met Alan Olson, Captain of Stone Witch, which was a 74' square rigged topsail schooner that sailed out of San Francisco. He signed on for a 3 month sail to Guatamala to see if the sailing life was for him. Stone Witch was the flag-ship for GreenPeace, and had no engine, ran kerosene running lights, and had four 21' oars for propulsion. This sail changed his life, and soon, while we rode all over the world on Harley's, he lived aboard various sailboats that he would buy, fix up, and sell. For over thirty years he lived aboard sailboats and cruised most of the Pacific and Central America.
In 1986 he sold BIKER and TATTOO magazines to Easyriders and started sailing full time. For many years he sailed the Pacific Coast of Mexico and Central America on his Formosa 51, the first Lost Soul, and then on another 51' ketch, named Predator, with numerous trips to the Hawaiian Islands and back. Then, in 1990 After fixing and selling seven boats he bought the 68' staysail ketch Lost Soul and this would be his home for the next 17 years.
He kidnapped Jody, the bartender at the Portofino Marina Yacht Club, and they took off to explore the South Pacific. As it turns out, they cruised all over the South Pacific, and then sailed thru the Panama Canal to the Atlantic, and sailed the Med, The Caribbean and everywhere they ever dreamed of going. They were married on board Lost soul at the Portofino Marina on their return from their world voyage.
In 1996 he created Latitudes & Attitudes Magazine which became one of the largest publications on sailing and world cruising. In 2005 he created the television show Latitudes & Attitudes, which was the first and only nationally televised show about the sailing lifestyle. The show aired nationally for 5 seasons (65 episodes) and has been in syndication world-wide. Shows can be viewed at Seafaring | Latitudes and Attitudes Television.
Currently Bob & Jody are publishing Cruising Outpost.
Bob now divides his time between Publishing, writing, world cruising, doing seminars on sailing and writing novels. He has written eight books. Biker to Sailor, Letters From The Lost Soul, The Sailing Life, Brotherhood of Outlaws, BIKER, Emerald Bay, King Harbor and Starboard Attitude..
Bob has two children, six grandchildren and 3 great-grandchildren and still sails all over the world whenever he gets the chance. He and his wife Jody live in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, between the Middle and North Forks of the Feather River, overlooking Lake Oroville, in Berry Creek, California
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote