Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2016, 07:29   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Leaking Steel Diesel Tank

Oh Gord, you should have sold him the link.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 09:49   #32

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boden36 View Post
Maybe I'm a pessimist but if it has gone in one spot it will be about to go in lots of others. You may end up chasing your tail. I would bite the bullet, remove it and replace.

Regards,
Richard.
I agree...I've resurrected a lot of boats. These Taiwan boats almost always require the cabnetry being removed. Why go through all the weeks of work to remove and reinstall all that cabinetry to remove a tank to fix a pin hole. Iron tanks are not the way to go anyways. They were a cheap way of adding tankage. There is a reason Taiwan boats have a bad rap. It's because they cut corners that were never obvious to the general buyer.
Compared to the cost of the job (especially if hired out) a plastic tank from RONCO is a drop in the bucket, so to speak, compared to the overall project. Even if the iron tank had an inspection port (not all did), it is impossible to ascertain if other pin holes are developing.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 10:26   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Celest, I agree with most of your comments except the steel part. I have built and repaired many mild steel tanks. Iron not so much. Mild steel is a good material for tanks. They need to be properly installed (keep externally dry, coated). Fuel needs to be maintained, water out. If they are manufactured properly they can out live your vessel.
Let me add..I can't imagine sealing a deficiency from the outside and have debris running around my fuel system. If the inside is in good shape the epoxy repair is fine, until you survey the boat.
ce
Old 17-12-2016, 10:40   #34

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Oh Gord, you should have sold him the link.
Sorry, he couldn't have sold me the link. Not at any price.
I've never bought anything off the internet and I never will. If I can't buy it from a bricks & mortar retailer ( you know, a shop ??)
then I don't buy it.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 11:17   #35

Leaking Steel Diesel Tank

I wouldn't even consider leaving a leaking, steel tank in my boat. Pull it out and replace it. I once cut out a steel GAS tank out of a Cal 34 we had. Cut it up in little pieces with a sawzall. After seeing inside it, I was very glad I chose to remove it!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 12:41   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
Celest, I agree with most of your comments except the steel part. I have built and repaired many mild steel tanks. Iron not so much. Mild steel is a good material for tanks. They need to be properly installed (keep externally dry, coated). Fuel needs to be maintained, water out. If they are manufactured properly they can out live your vessel.
Let me add..I can't imagine sealing a deficiency from the outside and have debris running around my fuel system. If the inside is in good shape the epoxy repair is fine, until you survey the boat.
ce
...and all that is valid with what you are saying but for water, plastic is almost maintenance free and if you're talking diesel tanks then steel is a good choice. Still, (not steel) Taiwan tanks are problematic. I had heard once (take it as you may) that a factory in Taiwan regularly used old bicycle spokes as welding rod. So I wouldn't repair a poorly constructed tank, I'd start anew.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 17-12-2016, 14:03   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
+1

This is an amazing product. Thick, tough, pliable, and super sticky.

+2. For $50 and a few hours work.

Boat Life sells it too of you want the "marine" version $$$$
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 14:17   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

I worked there and personally witnessed those spkoke things. I was in charge of quality control relating to metal on a large build, hardest job I ever had. They would sweep up all the little short pieces of tig rod too small to hang on to then tack them together like a Dr. Seuss stick. It would introduce impurities into their welds. I have stories.
The fact is.. we want want things cheaper and they do whatever it takes make that happen. They can do quality work too, that costs more.
Plastics are great for tanks but there are size limitations with that material.
ce
Old 17-12-2016, 16:23   #39

Thanx gt...that confirms the stories then. I have used Ronco tanks since the 80's You should check them out. Up to 280 gallon tanks.
Ronco Plastics - Marine Water Tanks, RV Water Tank, Auto Detail Tanks, Water Tanks
Old 17-12-2016, 16:42   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
...and all that is valid with what you are saying but for water, plastic is almost maintenance free and if you're talking diesel tanks then steel is a good choice. Still, (not steel) Taiwan tanks are problematic. I had heard once (take it as you may) that a factory in Taiwan regularly used old bicycle spokes as welding rod. So I wouldn't repair a poorly constructed tank, I'd start anew.

Actually coat hangers were very commonly used for Oxy Acetelene welding, bike spokes may well be a decent grade of steel, compared to a coat hanger
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 20:08   #41

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Ronco does not appear to offer tanks for diesel, plastic water tanks are not suitable for diesel, is this correct?
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 20:54   #42

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Sorry, he couldn't have sold me the link. Not at any price.
I've never bought anything off the internet and I never will. If I can't buy it from a bricks & mortar retailer ( you know, a shop ??)
then I don't buy it.
Wow. You should try it some time.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 21:50   #43

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
Wow. You should try it some time.
Thanks for the suggestion, but not while ever my derriere points to the ground. Not even to save 50% on EVERYTHING. When everything is totally free on the internet....I'll support retailers.
Internet trading is totally anathema to me.
Even my C Map SD card was sent by post to Jepperson for re-loading onto a Micro SD for my new Simrad plotter
Telephone banking, sure, of course.
Cheers
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 22:59   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
Ronco does not appear to offer tanks for diesel, plastic water tanks are not suitable for diesel, is this correct?
I have not used them for such but I just saw a Youtube of someone using a plastic tank. Maybe someone here can say for sure.
Old 17-12-2016, 23:58   #45

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I have not used them for such but I just saw a Youtube of someone using a plastic tank. Maybe someone here can say for sure.
Yea I don't know for sure either, browsing that Ronco site I didn't spot reference to diesel. What I do know is that if one wants to use say a manual whale gusher pump for transfering diesel, the normal rubber diaphragm must be changed to a nitrile one as the standard one would disintegrate prematurely. I know plastic is not rubber and apples are not oranges but it would be a shame to install a new tank only to find it unusable after a few years..
Reason why I'm posting this is because I may have a similar job as the OP does in front of me in the future so learning at this stage doesn't hurt..
So yea, if anyone can shed light that would be great..
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, steel