Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2011, 06:35   #16
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
re: Lick the Wind

Sailing this little Hobie Tandem Island trimaran/kayak around here in this crystal clear water, it's really fun sailing. We've hit 11 kts once ( measured with a GPS, yeah, but I wasn't using it to sail with. Just to check speed) and ten knots a half dozen times. Doing ten knots with your butt at sea level is exhilirating.

It's literally 'seat of the pants' sailing, and having my feet strapped to the Mirage Drive pedals to give it a couple kicks when I want to tack close and keep fall off to a minimum....I think it actually gives one a very physical connection to the action of the boat to the wind and waves. Both hands and feet engaged at times. And quick! We love taking it up the lee side (sandy side) of a long cay like Water Cay here, with a 20 kt. NE trade wind blowing over the low island. The sail is up in the wind and there's not enough fetch to make the chop too miserable, yet you still have the incoming swell from the ocean over the reef. It's like a little go-cart. the sailing equivalent of flying a helicopter. Plenty of room for two with coolers and a dog.
Old 27-12-2011, 22:56   #17

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753
re: Lick the Wind

My first off shore sailing was on a buddies Catalina 22 with just a compass with 2 other guys heading from Miami to the Bahamas not too far but just out of sight of land we noticed that our compass was spinning and we could not get a constant reading ( were in the devil triangle really kind of drunk ) not to fear we just called another boat with VHF that was going our way and they came over to see what was going on ( it was one guy in a white outfit with a martini and 4 beautiful girls aboard ) the guy comes aboard and looks and starts laughing, he told us we had temperaly put some big speakers too near the compass and the magnets were both interfearing with north. We did get to flirt with his female friends and got invited to a party when we arrived.
Old 28-12-2011, 18:56   #18

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Lick the Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siren o the Sea View Post
Just curious as to how many in here actually sail solely by the wind? No help from motors, GPS's, auto pilot etc. Just the craft, the sheets and the blessing of the breeze.
You know, the ole lick your finger hold it up in the air and see which way the wind is blowing.
Seems to me you are asking how many are "sailors" and how many are "cruisers." In my dictionary, sailors take their boats out to enjoy and revel in the motion of the boat with wind and waves. Getting the most efficiency out of their sailboat while communing with the wind is what seems to make them the happiest.

Cruisers on the other hand have someplace to go to and therefore their sailboat is set up as a transportation system. Of course enjoying the ability to be a "sailor" while getting to "someplace" gives the cruiser double joy. However, the sailing part is normally subordinated to the getting there part.

And you have a lot of sailor-cruisers who are somewhere in between the pure sailor and determined cruiser.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 19:34   #19

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Seems to me you are asking how many are "sailors" and how many are "cruisers." In my dictionary, sailors take their boats out to enjoy and revel in the motion of the boat with wind and waves. Getting the most efficiency out of their sailboat while communing with the wind is what seems to make them the happiest.

Cruisers on the other hand have someplace to go to and therefore their sailboat is set up as a transportation system. Of course enjoying the ability to be a "sailor" while getting to "someplace" gives the cruiser double joy. However, the sailing part is normally subordinated to the getting there part.

And you have a lot of sailor-cruisers who are somewhere in between the pure sailor and determined cruiser.
I agree fully and then there are days like hopefully tomorrow the breeze is between 20 and 25 kt's and we'll be just sailing for the fun of it and speed with the fetch only about 100 yards, although were not sailing with too much electronics we'll be keeping a watch on our depth sounder for under water islands. I really don't know any marinas that would want a sailboat over 1000 pounds to try to dock under just sail only, in or out of the marina.
Old 30-12-2011, 15:34   #20

Enjoyed reading all the replies.

I have always preferred sheets to the wind and allowing nature to take it's course so long as I have got the time. But do so understand and have the necessary components that help making getting from point A to point B a bit more......Hmmm......time efficient.
Siren o the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 19:31   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siren o the Sea
Just curious as to how many in here actually sail solely by the wind? No help from motors, GPS's, auto pilot etc. Just the craft, the sheets and the blessing of the breeze.

You know, the ole lick your finger hold it up in the air and see which way the wind is blowing.
Quite often. But a compass and depth gauge are pretty important kit especially if viz unexpectedly drops. Often sail on and off the mooring for practice.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 20:01   #22

Boat: Rafiki 37

When we go out cruising we put great effort into not planning to be anywhere, at anytime. The key to avoiding the engine is to avoid schedules. We are mostly coast cruisers, so we do our best to have plenty of alternative anchorages should the winds die. And we sometimes sit for many days in an anchorage waiting for wind to return.

But sometimes you get caught between not enough sea-room and a dying wind. If you can't spend the night out, then you have to get the hook down before going to bed. This usually means getting in before sundown.

I will happily ghost along at 1 knot if I can, but coastal cruising means that sometimes I can't do this. This is when the old tractor (our perkins 4108) comes on.
Mike OReilly is online now   Reply With Quote