Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2021, 22:42   #1

Living on a Boat on Land

Came across some people that bought a 40 ft Beneteau at auction cheap that looked perfect, but was in a collision. Last I heard they stripped the inside, it now has four holes in it, the keel removed, and it is likely it will be too expensive to fix.

If someone instead decided to use it to live on land it would of worked out. It would be way, way cheaper than a mobile home.

Someone said it is not easier to live on a boat on land than water because he tried it for a week and had to climb up a ladder and carry water up to it. But I came across people that built make-shift staircases and got water from a hose. For a week building a staircase is not worth it, but there are people that live on boats in backyards for months or years.

zamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 22:51   #2

Boat: Ta Shing - Baba 35
Re: Living on a Boat on Land

Rent an excavator and make a hole big enough to set the boat in just almost to its decks?

You’d have to get a little creative with the sewage and water as those don’t just plug in like an RV. Also boats are generally not insulated well at all. All and all, on land, a comparable trailer would probably be loads better.

We bought our trailer for cheap. Probably cheaper than you’d be buying tha lt Bene.... but there were not those challenges. It always pains me to see and here of situations like that.

Valuable scrap, including lead ballast, engines, sails, winches, and whatever else probably ought to be stripped off and sold. It would probably cover the cost of the boat.
Old 17-04-2021, 04:41   #3

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

You can certainly excavate a hole for it...and set it down. This one was actually purpose built to look like a boat, but isn't. Built many years ago, it is now a landmark and well known home that currently is an AirBnB.

Old 17-04-2021, 07:52   #4

For some one this forum, buying a new boat that was wrecked in a collision might be good idea. Living on land on a boat is still living on a boat.

Would you rather live on a boat on land or a house? The boat would be a lot cheaper since a non-seaworthy boat is supposedly worthless, even if new.
Old 17-04-2021, 08:19   #5

There was an old wooden schooner for sale cheap several years ago. I thought it would be a great guest house and really fun idea. Unfortunately I live on a steep hill with a hairpin turn to get up here. I figured an 80 foot wouldn't make the turn. Excavation, power and a sewer system would add up also.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 09:51   #6

Boat: 1983 Shannon 28

Or you could turn it upsidedown. https://unusualplaces.org/equihen-pl...n-boat-houses/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	village of upsidedown houses.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	236696  
Greg K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 12:53   #7

Boat: Island Packet 40

I am on a rental mooring in a river. The nearest shore is flood prone land on which the city authorities will not approve permanent buildings and consequently it is very cheap. However I can see the second story of a two deck houseboat above the shoreline mangrove trees.
Old 17-04-2021, 13:20   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Zoning, codes, electrical, pluming, etc. Seems like a pipe dream for longer than a haul out on the hill. I guess it depends on local laws?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 13:32   #9

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Im a quarter mile from Mobile Bay.
Fortunately my lot is on a high dune, 7’ above the road.
The Columbia is on a trailer ready to float off if that scenario arises. Hurricane Sally totaled my rv but not the boat. Boat is still the option if poop hits the fan.
The staircase from the boatyard still works fine.
Old 17-04-2021, 13:48   #10

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post
Im a quarter mile from Mobile Bay.
Fortunately my lot is on a high dune, 7’ above the road.
The Columbia is on a trailer ready to float off if that scenario arises. Hurricane Sally totaled my rv but not the boat. Boat is still the option if poop hits the fan.
The staircase from the boatyard still works fine.
In previous years an old lightning class sailboat was my kids’ sandbox while growing up.
They also played on a 1929 36’ Ligget that was planted on the property as respite for fishermen having to much fun at my bar . Slept six with ease.
A 1939 chrisCraft open runabout used as commercial fishboat was a lounge in my backyard.
The Lightning was free. The chriscraft was free. The Ligget was 150$ from Palmer Johnson in Sturgeon Bay Wisconsin .
Life looks different from outside the box.
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 13:53   #11

Living on a boat on land seems to be very common.

Old 17-04-2021, 20:32   #12

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

There are sailors on low income retirements that live in the boatyard for 3 bucks a day. They have showers and toilets at the Marina office. Their boats are on trailers. Can’t get any cheaper than that. Boats are paid for. No water costs, no electrical costs, no trash or sewage costs. I know plenty of them in San Carlos Mexico. Get a chicken burrito with all the fixings for 7 bucks and eat that for several days.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 22:36   #13

Boat: Ta Shing - Baba 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
There are sailors on low income retirements that live in the boatyard for 3 bucks a day. They have showers and toilets at the Marina office. Their boats are on trailers. Can’t get any cheaper than that. Boats are paid for. No water costs, no electrical costs, no trash or sewage costs. I know plenty of them in San Carlos Mexico. Get a chicken burrito with all the fixings for 7 bucks and eat that for several days.
Oddly specific. That’s like 1/6th of the boatyard rates around here... no showers, except coin operated ones at the various marinas or swimming pool. Chicken Burrito is only double the cost tho.

Although what chicken burritos (not beef?) have to do with living on a boat.
Old 18-04-2021, 12:58   #14

I liked that picture of upside-down hulls made into roofs for small houses. I guess that's one way to turn a boat into a tight and dry dwelling on land. And Shackleton's men lived under a lifeboat for 128 days when stranded on Elephant Island. An upside-down Beneteau-house would be a head-turner for sure.
bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat