Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2018, 12:45   #31

Boat: Cal 31, 31.5'
Re: Living on the HOOK sailboat W.Coast,Fla is it hard or they pushing people into ma

[QUOTE=Island Time O25;2778669]Reading this thread I think the time may be right for some kind of app re: dinghy landings, etc.

Great Idea! My philosophy is to go where I am welcomed and spend as much as I can there shopping and dining out. A real good aspect of your idea would be to list marinas that let one tie the dink up for a few hours at a reduced cost to shop, etc.

A list of mobile pump out boats would be excellent. We normally travel in to a marina to pump out and stay one or two nights. Sometimes having the pump come to us would be better.
Cal31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:57   #32

Re: Living on the HOOK sailboat W.Coast,Fla is it hard or they pushing people into ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
What town are you referring to? Sounds like a great place to visit!
Sounds alot like Gulf Port, FL. The city just installed a mooring field, has a nice dinghy dock and good access to town.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 14:44   #33

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSMFP View Post
Sounds alot like Gulf Port, FL. The city just installed a mooring field, has a nice dinghy dock and good access to town.
Could be but his personal info indicates that they're in SW Florida. Sarasota has a mooring field, you can pull your dinghy up on the beach and you're right down town so that could be it.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 16:46   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackedo View Post
I'm still confused as to why this discussion keeps occuring. The Navigable waterways of the US are controlled soley by the Federal Government. Period. All Zoning Laws, for instance, are LAND USE laws. There is no such thing as a legal, defendable WATER USE law except one written by the Federal Government. If you study the Code of Federal Regulations you will find that States and Municipalities can APPLY for a permit for a mooring field that will be specifically delineated by the Feds, or they can APPLY for a permit to put up speed limit signs to protect their shoreside constructions. That's it. They cannot even apply for a permit to create a no-anchoring zone. It simply doesn't exist. That is why the Federal Government stepped in and forced the removal of any and all no-anchoring zones in Florida a few years ago. No anchoring zones are illegal and open these municipalities up to very serious liability suits in an area that gets hit by hurricanes (like Florida). If someone is injured or dies because a certain municipality didn't allow them to seek proper anchorage shelter from a storm because of an illegal anchoring law, thay will be in deep legal trouble.

Yes, that is the way it USED to be.
However Fl is different, or in truth South FL is different, cause in the Panhandle there is no issue, anchor wherever you want, but there seem to be no derelict fleets in the Panhandle either.
Anyway I believe, maybe cause I am no Lawyer the difference is that Fl has determined that they own the land underneath the water.
That is why you can and sometimes must have a “submerged land lease” to build a dock, operate a Marina etc. Not sure about that, but Fl has a history of restricting navigable waterways and the Feds haven’t stopped them.
Ever seen the waterways that have a sign that says they are private waterways, yet they are subject to the ebb and flow of the tides?

However it’s all irrelevant, try anchoring in Sarasota and see how well your argument impresses the Sheriff when he shows up to run you off, which WILL happen.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:22   #35

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

I have stayed at the Gulfport Municipal Marina, I have not yet been to the mooring area. However, I'm slightly suspicious of the location of the installed moorings.

They are not located adjacent to the marina entrance, they are located right in an area that was a highly used anchorage..............
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:35   #36

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Get rid of the derelicts and opinions will change for the positive. Florida anchorages are a homeless paradise. The West coast is littered with boats that haven't sailed or been maintained for years. If you owned a multi-million dollar dream home on the water, would you like a refugee camp as your view of the water? Good luck and safe sailing . . . Rognvald
Old 11-12-2018, 10:28   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Get rid of the derelicts and opinions will change for the positive. Florida anchorages are a homeless paradise. The West coast is littered with boats that haven't sailed or been maintained for years. If you owned a multi-million dollar dream home on the water, would you like a refugee camp as your view of the water? Good luck and safe sailing . . . Rognvald
Gross generalization and like most generalizations it's simply not true. FYI, on this site if you live on your boat you're not considered to be homeless. I own 3 waterfront properties including one with Gulf frontage. I don't pretend to own my view & don't appreciate those who do. Derelict boats are a problem but the state already has a mechanism in place to address this.

You might get a more favorable response posting on the "Rich People Unite To Ban Cruisers" forum.
Old 13-12-2018, 09:35   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Gross generalization and like most generalizations it's simply not true. FYI, on this site if you live on your boat you're not considered to be homeless. I own 3 waterfront properties including one with Gulf frontage. I don't pretend to own my view & don't appreciate those who do. Derelict boats are a problem but the state already has a mechanism in place to address this.

You might get a more favorable response posting on the "Rich People Unite To Ban Cruisers" forum.

"Gross generalization and like most generalizations it's simply not true." Scout 30
Old 13-12-2018, 15:18   #39

Quote:
Get rid of the derelicts and opinions will change for the positive.
Unfortunately, this is not always the case. The fight over anchoring in Sunset Lake and Miami Beach included all boats. The waterfront owners there decided they not only owned the land, but also the water behind their houses. One of them went so far as to anchor about thirty, yes you read that right, thirty, little boats behind his house so that no one, no one else could anchor there.
Old 14-12-2018, 08:21   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
Unfortunately, this is not always the case. The fight over anchoring in Sunset Lake and Miami Beach included all boats. The waterfront owners there decided they not only owned the land, but also the water behind their houses. One of them went so far as to anchor about thirty, yes you read that right, thirty, little boats behind his house so that no one, no one else could anchor there.

Good point, Davy and it is a further example of the long-term damage that these derelict boats and their "owners" have caused for "real" cruisers. Best, Rognvald
Old 14-12-2018, 08:52   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Good point, Davy and it is a further example of the long-term damage that these derelict boats and their "owners" have caused for "real" cruisers. Best, Rognvald
You're missing the point. To many wealthy waterfront owners any boat anchored for free is a "derelict boat". Attempts to ban anchoring are not attempts to deal with actual derelict boats. The state already has a mechanism & fund to deal with them. They are simply trying to stop everyone from anchoring anywhere that is in view of waterfront development. This battle has been going on in Florida for a long time.
Old 14-12-2018, 09:53   #42

Quote:
You're missing the point. To many wealthy waterfront owners any boat anchored for free is a "derelict boat".
Unfortunately, this is correct........

Just to add, Sunset Lake is not really a good anchorage for derelicts or parked boats. Shore access is fairly limited. Most boats using the anchorage would be in transit or waiting weather windows to cross to the Bahamas.

Two guys in Miami Beach just didn't want anyone to anchor there.
Old 14-12-2018, 10:05   #43

Coincidentally there is another thread ongoing on this same topic.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...um+-+Emails%29
Old 14-12-2018, 10:13   #44

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

In areas with no formal dingy dock, is there anything preventing a person from anchoring a dinghy, free floating, in 2 feet of water, and wading to shore at a public waterfront park, etc.?

Not the prettiest idea, but is there any practical reason why this can't be done generally? As long as shopping, etc. was within walking distance, I could envision myself doing such a thing, but I've never been accused of having overly aristocratic tendencies.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 10:33   #45

Quote:
In areas with no formal dingy dock, is there anything preventing a person from anchoring a dinghy, free floating, in 2 feet of water, and wading to shore at a public waterfront park, etc.?
There is nothing to prevent this, in many places with a park or even sandy shoreline you could at least land a dinghy right on shore. Leaving the dinghy while ashore might be a problem though............

In the case of Sunset Lake and many, many other anchorages around the state, the shoreline is comprised of private docks and concrete seawalls. All private property.

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat