Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2012, 14:04   #16

Re: longterm provisioning

Sprouts grow really well on a boat and provide an OK salad. Don't forget the olive oil

The Grooviest Sprouting Seeds on Our Planet!

Also, vacuum pack everything that comes in a box or bag that isn't going to be eaten in the first 30 days. It's really depressing to discover food you'd been looking forward to preparing ruined from moisture.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 14:35   #17

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

All we can say is if ya can't get where ya are going in 30 days of sailing, you have a very SLOW Boat !! LOL My old daddy always said "make sure ya have 40 days and 40 nights of grub aboard" and Ive found we can get wherever we want in that amount of time !! LOL as others have said theres food most anywhere ya go! so make sure ya have staples for that lenght of time and get fresh when ever there stuff to get !!!and make sure ya have fishing equipment, cus fish sure adds to the food !! and its Fresh to LOL just our 2 cents
Old 21-07-2012, 16:31   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: other peoples
Send a message via Skype™ to Loco Gato

Depending on where you are going, stock up on items you like but maybe either; no there, or priced out of reach. Me I stock up on coffee, smokes, beer, some wine( never met a box of wine I didn't like!), comfort foods and tp and pt! Like someone meentioned, palm fronds do not make good tp! Pull the rolls out of both and vacum pack them to save space. A food saver or the like is a godsend, you pay on the front end but save on the rear end. Moutain House is a good back up if you have plenty of water, I always buy cases of bottled water to have on hand, store low in the bilge, teas, instant hot coco, soups things like that help round out long watches. If you have a freezer, then you have it made with meats and stuff you like that aren't sold in places you visit. Can you really count on catch fish everyday? and do you really want a fish only diet? Go to some of the prepper website/blogs for tips on long range food storeage, some good tips there that apply to cruisers as well. Just use you fav search engine and type in preppers.
Good Luck!
Loco Gato is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
provisioning