Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2022, 07:59   #46

Re: MarineMax Evicts 30 Boats for being "Too Old"

Older boats are often tossed because they are in disrepair. I was at a marina in NC where they were selling slips up to 80’. The smaller slips had many of their boats that appear to not having been washed in months or over year. Consequently the docks were in desperate need of repair. As it was explained that once they sold enough of those slips they were going rebuild that finger. All the other docks had already been rebuilt. When I saw those boats I no longer had any interest in buying a slip at that marina. Would you wan to put a nice new or newer boat next to a 60 year old boat that the owner doesn’t even come down to wash it much less maintain its’ seaworthy condition?
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 08:15   #47

Boat: Catalina 350

Exactly!!
rick bertram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 09:16   #48
TPG

Boat: Admiral 40

I've seen old boats in bristol condition outshine newer boats left in disrepair and I think most people would rather have marina mates with vessels that are kept up with.

Old boats are fine with me as long as they are maintained, safe and insured. (I recently drooled all over myself as I passed a Morgan center cockpit that looked better than it did when it was new.)

I am curious like the rest of you and wonder if there's more to this story.
TPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 09:21   #49

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt5795 View Post
FYI - Safe Harbor now requires hull value insurance.
They have bought, are buying all the marinas around me.

Corporate conglomerate is scary.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 09:24   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCatLife View Post
No need to fret there,... those slips go the those with connections.

On balance,... I'd rather let capitalism rule.
City owned marinas, and RV parks aren't Capitalism.

Neither is a 20 year approval process through the EPA to build a new one.
Old 28-01-2022, 09:27   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
Get together with the other 29 Owners, pool your money, buy some waterfront land and build your own marina.
Build is out of the question, but I've seen small marinas listed for around $500,000.

I would need to sell my house, and boat to afford it, but a dozen of us could probably swing it.
Old 28-01-2022, 09:32   #52

Regarding my comment 'old derelict', the emphasis is on the 'Derelict' portion. New Derelict, while possible are incredibly rare. Derelicts are usually old, un-maintained.

Honestly, you got to look at it from Marine Max's perspective. Many (most) decent places have long waiting lists. I'm number 80 on the list at one marina right now. Imagine a sales guy being able to close the deal by ensuring he can find him a slip in their marina. I suspect it's more than the $/ft they getting on the slip rental.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 10:46   #53

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick bertram View Post
I agree with Shrew’s comment. As a boat owner and slip holder in California, I see the old, never used and dilapidated boats all the time. There is a long wait for slips and these boats are never touched and are not seaworthy. Many are used as housing. Old boats that are used and enjoyed should not be penalized and evicted, everyone and thing gets old. But derelict boats should be evicted or removed.

I could be wrong but in Santa Barbara, isn't the situation there that you can sell a boat with the slip. commanding big payouts?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 12:07   #54

Boat: Allied Mistress CC 39

We need more marinas lots more.more boat yards access to the sea must be!
Mistress Sirena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 12:42   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress Sirena View Post
We need more marinas lots more.more boat yards access to the sea must be!
Let's form a co-op and do it.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 13:08   #56

Boat: Express 30

Marina BS is one of the reasons why I sold my boat a couple of years ago. The spring Covid took off my marina wouldn't allow anyone to come to the yard to prep their boats for launch. Then they had the gall to bill people for being on the hard beyond their "winter storage time". When I was finally able to launch in JULY I left the place leaving them with a open slip for the summer. So you tell me how they made out stiffing me for extra time on the hard. F**k them.
Ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 13:24   #57

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingunity View Post
Let's form a co-op and do it.
The marina I'm at is set up as a member-owned club. The club owns the facilities and membership entitles the member to the use of a specific slip. Like a dockominium but only one tax bill, one insurance bill, etc.

I think this is the only way to go. I've been to some nice marinas, but for my home port I'd never want any other arrangement.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 14:10   #58

Boat: Rafiki 37

Most of the marinas I've based out of have been own and operated by yacht clubs. They were not-for-profit co-ops, often with members providing some work hours as part of the deal to keep costs down.

So certainly doable.
Old 28-01-2022, 14:23   #59

Boat: Tartan 40

Yeah, but recall that slips are only part of revenue equation. I’m sure there is more to this story. These could be the dilapidated old boats with owners who nickel and dime over everything at the marina. No surprise this happens when you have a waitlist of customers who will pay for the marina to provide full boat maintenance…
I prefer DIY but also have come to be okay paying my marina staff to do some basic jobs that save me time and keeps me supporting the business.
Also, I keep my boat as pristine as I can which is what owners should do anyway. It depresses me to see algae stained boats with fraying blue tarps at marinas I visit- even worse when an owner lives aboard and can’t be bothered to do routine cleaning and exterior maintenance
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 14:37   #60

Boat: Beneteau 361

I was recently in a local Florida marina visiting a friend that I had recommended to get a short term, turned into three months, there since it was nearby my home and I could keep an eye on it while he was out of state.

The marina owners own a local hotel and are not boaters of any kind. They have no dock master or hands and instead ask for help from the folks in the marina, whomever might be handy. They seem to be interested in transient rather than liveaboard (surprise!) and have one of the few fuel stations in the area.

I happened to be checking on aforementioned friends boat and inquired about slip rates on a month to month or annual basis, as I am currently actively searching for a sailboat. I was told that it had to be "2001 or newer" and I was "probably looking for something older" and they have had problem with derelict boats, then she slammed the door in my face.

FWIW, I am an executive for a software company and I never buy anything derelict and can easily afford to maintain.
twofingerpoi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, marine