Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2019, 11:12   #16

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: maryland to nj question

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
FWIW I find coming out of the canal into the DELAWARE at night can be difficult. My worst night was coming out, needing to turn North. Since I had gone South they had set up a dredging operation in addition to the various anchored barges and moving traffic you expect there was the dredge itself, support vessels, plus a couple of bits of pipe anchored here and there. It can be quite stressful, or at least for me.

Okay. I usually come out of the canal and go South toward the Atlantic.

I'm going to make some assumptions and those may be wrong. Coming out of the C&D Canal and planning to make Delaware City the only trick is not turning too early. Just wait until all the marks in Bulkhead Shoal Channel are lined up. Heading to Wilmington is easier - just keep going until you pick up the New Castle Range and stay lined up.

I understand the stress of a bunch of lights you aren't used to seeing. The flashing lights on the dredge pipe should have led to the dredge, the lights for which are pretty clear. Anchored barges are anchored and should be lit accordingly. The most difficult time is when they haven't finished running the pipe when they come home for the day; then there is a whole lot of dark between the pipe and the shore or the pipe and the dredge. The biggest issue in my mind is your night vision takes a long time to recover fully after running the brightly lit canal. Slowing down helps. *grin*

I know this can be a challenge. There is a lot going on - quick change from light to dark and a dredge.

With good charts (electronic or paper), a calm approach, and willingness to slow down plus getting on the radio it isn't so bad. It certainly is easier with experience and practice. It definitely helps to have a coach leaning over your shoulder. The Socratic method rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcj View Post
Going thru the canal at night is not bad, as long as you are well rested. It is well lit. But remember, you are in a canal, not open water. If Otto goes on the fritz for 30 seconds you are on the rocks. I find it requires much more intense focus than coming up the Delaware, or Chesapeake ...

Autopilot is a great tool. It doesn't excuse a poor watch. 30 seconds is a long time. With an alert watch, especially somewhere like a canal or narrow channel (say Albemarle Sound or Pamlico Sound), response time should be five seconds at most to being on the wheel. No excuses. Sure that requires more focus than open water, but frankly not a lot more. This is a much longer discussion.

Quote:
If you are not experienced at night navigation the transition in and out of the canal can be adventurous. I would not recommend a night transit if there was no crew on board with night nav experience...

I don't think it's hard at all. Frankly you have to solo eventually. Better to build some experience with coaching but that is not necessary. Let's talk about that.

First I'll say that in many ways sailing (power or sail) at night is easier than during the daylight. The important marks are lit. Almost all the unpredictable recreational folks are home tucked in bed. The remaining traffic are professionals. The question becomes how to dip your toe in if you don't have access to an experienced coach.

My advice, obviously opinion, is to get underway before dawn. Perhaps an hour. Why? Because it just gets brighter with time. Next time start a couple of hours before dawn. Yes you have to get up early. Suck it up. Then find something easy for dusk into night - preferably entering somewhere you are familiar with. Then just practice. It's really less a skill than exposure. There is some discipline - keep the lights off down below and emphasize maintaining your night vision.

A number of things will become apparent. Your dodger windows are not nearly as clean as you think they are. There is one heck of a lot more ambient light below than you think from the electrical panel if nothing else. The only things important to using the head in the dark are 1. everyone sits for everything and 2. don't move the toilet roll around.

When you move to 24/7 operations organize your clothes so they are piled with the first thing you need on top and in order of need. You should be able to get dressed in the dark.

For many of my crew, night sailing is one of the reasons they sail with me. They get coaching. I'm not unique - there are lots of people who can help. You CAN do it yourself, for yourself. It can be a little stressful but you can.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 09:26   #17

"We like anchoring at Cape Henlopen, and usually rest there before heading up the New Jersey shore." Brent (or anyone) why Cape Henlopen and not Cape May if you are going north ??
tsenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 09:55   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsenator View Post
"We like anchoring at Cape Henlopen, and usually rest there before heading up the New Jersey shore." Brent (or anyone) why Cape Henlopen and not Cape May if you are going north ??

Many reasons. For some boats they can't fit under the Cape May bridge. You have to slow down a lot. Depth can be a problem. On the other hand, the anchorage behind the middle breakwater is easy in and out, lots of water, and in the end faster.
Old 29-09-2019, 10:27   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Many reasons. For some boats they can't fit under the Cape May bridge. You have to slow down a lot. Depth can be a problem. On the other hand, the anchorage behind the middle breakwater is easy in and out, lots of water, and in the end faster.

No, I am not talking about going through the Cape May Canal to get to Cape May Anchorage- I am just talking about going around Cape May and approaching the Cape May anchorage from the East . Why not just do that instead of heading south and anchoring at Cape Henlopen when you want to go north anyway ?

(Also what anchorage behind the middle breakwater is easy in and out, lots of water ? Cape Henlopen It actually looks a bit exposed )
tsenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 10:51   #20
kcj

Boat: Lagoon 470, ex corsair f31

IMO Cape May vs henolopen is a function of which way the wind is blowing, and going to blow. Coming and going to the c&d several times, I have anchored in cape May harbor, and on the west side of cape May. While having considered henolopen, I have never gone there.. going up the jersey coast it always seemed 10nm out of the way. And the main inlet at cape May is relatively easy.
kcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 11:26   #21

Quote:
No, I am not talking about going through the Cape May Canal to get to Cape May Anchorage- I am just talking about going around Cape May and approaching the Cape May anchorage from the East . Why not just do that instead of heading south and anchoring at Cape Henlopen when you want to go north anyway ?

(Also what anchorage behind the middle breakwater is easy in and out, lots of water ? Cape Henlopen It actually looks a bit exposed )

Ah. You have to go a good way out to miss the shoal and then in the Cape May inlet. In my experience and compared to not stopping at all, just out the Delaware Bay and either up the NJ coast or heading to Block/Newport/Narragansett stopping in Cape May costs two to four hours and Henlopen is one hour or less.

Henlopen is well protected from every direction. If you want a marina Cape May is better. If you want to spend a couple of days in a cool little town then Cape May has a little attraction over Lewes. If you just want a break to rest or (southbound) to wait for a favorable tidal current then Henlopen every time.

If you look at the charts there are three breakwaters. Two are moderately far out from Lewes and one is in really close. The middle one has plenty of water. I've carried 8' in there without any trouble. Just watch the icebreakers!
Old 29-09-2019, 12:56   #22
kcj

Boat: Lagoon 470, ex corsair f31

Or you can go inside the shoal... originally taught this route by a skilled delivery captain sailor I was crewing for. Confirmed by local sea tow captain. Been this route on a swan with a 12’ draft, (not my decision...that was interesting..) been this route on my own boat (4.5’ draft) half dozen times in last three years in various conditions.

Southbound coming down the bay head to the lighthouse. Hug the shore, 2-3 hundred yards off, until the jetty at the inlet. Saw 12’ of water at low tide at the light house for about a quarter mile..the rest was 20’ or better...same readings last spring and last week... there is a fair amount of tidal current at the point

If winds are out of the east, anchor off the west coast of cape May. If conditions are good for rounding, keep going to the inlet, or beyond..😎 henolopen just seems a long way off...
Fair winds,
Cheers
kcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 14:44   #23

Boat: Maine Cat 38

Quote:
We have a personal preference for Cape Henlopen. We find it very relaxing. A few weeks ago we stayed there a couple extra days because it was perfect for our mood. We had long walks on the beach, and the dolphins played under the boat for hours. We have stayed at the town dock in Lewes also and prefer downtown Lewes to Cape May town as well.

Cape May has given us several less pleasant experiences. On a summer weekend it is flooded with drunken boaters. The anchorage is not restful from boat wakes. We go in there when we have to...
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 04:55   #24

Quote:
Or you can go inside the shoal... originally taught this route by a skilled delivery captain sailor I was crewing for.
You can, and I have done so to demonstrate the effects of waves stacking up in shallow water on an owner-aboard delivery.

If conditions are calm it's fine but with any sort of breeze or if the swell is up from weather that could be a thousand miles away it is most unpleasant. I might do that again when the seas are really flat. I certainly don't plan on it. That path doesn't buy you much if you're heading North anyway. I tend to run the coast between 70 and 100 feet or the two-bar line (tm) whichever is further out.

Quote:
If winds are out of the east, anchor off the west coast of cape May. If conditions are good for rounding, keep going to the inlet, or beyond..😎 henolopen just seems a long way off...
From the Cape Henlopen breakwater to Cape May is less than nine miles. You can see that far sitting down in the cockpit. As I said, in either direction Cape Henlopen is an hour out of the way. Cape May is more time consuming whether you go through the canal or go around. I'll also point out that Cape Henlopen is designated a harbor of refuge because it is well protected and easy to access.

For those that want to go "where everyone goes" (including aforementioned drunken boaters) Cape May is fine. Y'all have a good time and leave Henlopen to me. You wouldn't like it anyway. *grin*
Old 02-10-2019, 15:24   #25

Augustine inn seafood and Chop house!
39.5064232 -75.5749317
Flite Risk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Maryland