Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2012, 01:17   #1

My Cal 30 Ran Aground

Aloha,

Not a good month! I was departing Keehi Channel on the 13th on my classic Cal 1-30 when the outboard conked. I have no head sail, but had the Mainsail up. I tried to tack out of the narrow channel but it ran aground. Boat was trashed on the rocks.

What makes it so heartbreaking is that I had just spent $2.5k for new running rigging! I had insurance, but only liability.

I guess I will be land locked for awhile!

Maybe I should have gotten a motor yacht.

tcul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 01:28   #2

Sorry to hear about that. At least it didn't turn into a big fiasco like the wreck that blocked Ali Wai this last Sunday.
gregmacdonald77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 02:04   #3

Re: My Cal 30 Ran Aground

Greg,

Didn't hear about that. Yikes! Blocked the channel? Not good.
Old 27-10-2012, 11:25   #4

It was moored out in front of Magic Island, broke free and went onto the rocks. After it sank just the mast was sticking out of the water. It happened just before dark so they weren't able to get it marked so they had to shut down the channel. Wasn't really "blocking" it but they didn't want anybody to hit it since it wasn't marked. They got it marked the next day and reopened the channel. There was a pretty good southern swell for the days it sat there and ended up breaking the boat into pieces. The boat didn't have insurance, had previously been cited for illegally mooring in Ke'ehi and the documented owner had allegedly sold it 8 months prior to another guy. Sounds like a prime example of irresponsible ownership and the state is stuck footing the bill and will probably never get reimbursed. Another 10k + from the states boaters fund that could of gone to new docks down at Ke'ehi.
Old 27-10-2012, 11:32   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcul View Post

What makes it so heartbreaking is that I had just spent $2.5k for new running rigging! I had insurance, but only liability.

Sorry about your loss. 2.5k on new running rigging? Sounds like a lot.
Old 27-10-2012, 12:46   #6
Ita

Boat: CAL 36

Sorry to hear that, I just get by-passed by Sandy and was scared
Old 27-10-2012, 13:44   #7

Vasco,

It was 2.5k for repl of standing rigging.

Greg,

Are you familiar with a Ranger 26 at Alawai? Owned by a Paul S. on the mainland who comes to the island periodically to sail and race. Anyway, he is looking for a partner. 3k down, and pay the dock fees of $307.

Aloha
Old 27-10-2012, 14:28   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Sounds like a high price to pay for the lack of a jib. Hank on jibs are regularly available on ebay and elsewhere for under $300. Saw that in the paper the other day and wondered what the circumstances were.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 14:34   #9

I've seen that add on Craigslist but I just bought a boat. It's still in the bay area, but I will be leaving to bring it back in just under two weeks. Hope to be back by the first week of December. I already got a slip lined up at the Ke'ehi state harbor.
Old 27-10-2012, 14:57   #10

Yes, big price to pay for lack of a jib. Unfortunately, when I bought the boat in January, I found out the hard way that the existing foresail didn't fit the plastimo furler. The plastimo calls for size 8 luft tape, but the foresail that came to the boat was too small. When out one day and the freaking foresale came flying out of the groove and ended up flying at the top of the mast!

Fixing the foresail was next on my list. OOPS!

Paul,

Keehi State Harbor? Good luck! Be sure the leave somebody to guard you car while you're out sailing! Say hi to "Maui" for me. He has a big catamaran there.

Hey, check out the 26' Captain's gig moored there. It's for sale for 5k. I always wanted to be a "Captain"! Cummings 225 doesn't work, though.
Old 27-10-2012, 15:26   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Don't you just love these hardware manufacturers. #6 luff tape is standard on every furler I know of for boats under 40'. Bet Plastimo went with 8 millimeter just to be perverse.

Must have been Kona winds, usually the winds blow straight out the channel. The Kona's have been blowing way way too often this year.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 15:54   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

So sorry for your loss. When I first bought my first boat it was in Keehi. It was a Catalina 22 with a 6hp Johnson outboard. I always had this goofy feeling about what would happen if the Johnson would not respond if I needed it. The first time I went out the channel it was iffy because the bottom hadn't been cleaned in a long time and I was sailing on jib only just to see if I could do it. I motored back. The next week I had the bottom cleaned. That was September '81 - just looked it up in my sailing log.
Good luck on finding another boat if yours was done in.
kind regards,
Old 27-10-2012, 18:48   #13

Someone reminded me today that you should ALWAYS have the anchor ready on the bow to cast off in case of trouble. 10K mistake!

BTW, winds were ENE at the time. Wondered why I couldn't turn the boat to starboard.
Old 27-10-2012, 18:50   #14
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Aloha,

Not a good month! I was departing Keehi Channel on the 13th on my classic Cal 1-30 when the outboard conked. I have no head sail, but had the Mainsail up. I tried to tack out of the narrow channel but it ran aground. Boat was trashed on the rocks.

I guess I will be land locked for awhile!

Maybe I should have gotten a motor yacht.

I'm so sorry. Worst grounding I ever had was with my first boat, 25' with an outboard. The outboard died and the wind blew us to a high spot very efficiently. Rudder got stuck; I was out there for 21 hours.

But I didn't lose my boat.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 18:51   #15
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Someone reminded me today that you should ALWAYS have the anchor ready on the bow to cast off in case of trouble. 10K mistake!

BTW, winds were ENE at the time. Wondered why I couldn't turn the boat to starboard.

Yeah, you should, but ... if you're really close to a high spot you may not be able to get it out in time.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal