Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2017, 08:48   #1
Marine Service Provider

Send a message via Skype™ to iscariot
My first racing experience

Ok. Here is a shot story about my first offshore racing experience.

It was difficult to choose race because of the standart long distance 600nm. A lot of people said that it's boring. Who knows if I don't like first 100nm how can I get out at last 500nm. That's right I will not be able. So I need smth shorter. Some research and I've got a link for "Offshore Challenge 2017" which was organized by Offshore racing club of Austria and Croatian sailing federation. The place was not so far. It was Adriatic sea. I have to fly app.4 hours. The distance was shorter and interesting. It was a half of the standart race. I mean 300 nm. Moreover it was a break for a day at the middle of the race. So, there are 2 rounds measured by 150 mn. We sailed from Biograd-na-more to Dubrovnik and then go back.

The first round was exciting with fresh wind 15-20 knots blowing in our course. So we sailed broadreach or deadrun all the distance. Some times wind changed direction rapidly up to 30 degrees and it was nice practice of sttering with spinnaker. To the end of the race at last 4-5 nm all wind dissapeared because we get into the land shadow at night. So race became ordinary inshore distance. All the other story was awasome.

The second distance was passed on a half and wind was ended at all. So how was good anyone we don't know by tracking system. But I suppose that such calm conditions make officers to cancel results of the second stage.

Anyway, here is the second race of the Offshore Challenge 2017:

https://youtu.be/s7QOPqlN7AA
iscariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 09:58   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: My first racing experience

Welcome to CF, Iscariot. No baby steps for you! 150 NM is a considerable distance for your first offshore race. That's a very beautiful sailing area. In fact, it looks a lot like Northern California.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 10:32   #3
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Welcome to CF, Iscariot. No baby steps for you! 150 NM is a considerable distance for your first offshore race. That's a very beautiful sailing area. In fact, it looks a lot like Northern California.

Thanks, gamayun. It was a first such experience as a skipper and thanks for greetings. Trying to find my way at sailing
Old 28-10-2017, 17:47   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hello iscariot,

Welcome to CF.

Great first race, you're going to do well at this, I think! Enjoy, it can be one of life's great pleasures--when you are not terrified.

Ann
Old 28-10-2017, 23:09   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hello iscariot,

Welcome to CF.

Great first race, you're going to do well at this, I think! Enjoy, it can be one of life's great pleasures--when you are not terrified.

Ann

Thanks Ann

Tags
enc, racing