Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2022, 18:24   #1

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
Narragansett to Bermuda vs Chesapeake to Bermuda

I'm planning to head to the Caribbean next fall and am brainstorming some fall work/storage ideas before starting out. I'm in New England and usually am in the Narragansett for the Fall/Winter, so I've been working under the plan of heading to Bermuda from there.

But I wonder if it's a notably easier jump to go from the Chesapeake to Bermuda. Seems to be about the same distance, but is it an easier gulf stream crossing? more favorable wind angles?
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2022, 05:08   #2

Boat: Bayfield 36
Re: Narragansett to Bermuda vs Chesapeake to Bermuda

You might find this article on the recent NARC (Newport - Bermuda - ) rally and the Salty Dawg (Newport or Chesapeake - Bermuda - ) rally interesting.

https://www.cruisingworld.com/destin...or-the-season/
Ferrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2022, 06:42   #3

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrity View Post
You might find this article on the recent NARC (Newport - Bermuda - ) rally and the Salty Dawg (Newport or Chesapeake - Bermuda - ) rally interesting.

https://www.cruisingworld.com/destin...or-the-season/
=================================
this is a great article,thanks.
Summarizes what actually turned up in reality vs the plans and forecasts.

I have respect for Parker as well as Jennifer Clark and will not leave port on an extended passage without their services, however, it proved to be a challenging season with the new weather patterns of "no weather patterns".

Remember

" Hill Street Blues"
"Michael Conrad as Sgt. Phil Esterhaus does the cop roll call, concluding with his signature line: "Let's be careful out there."
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2022, 06:55   #4

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Don't think you can take much from one year's experience. First time we did it, from the Chesapeake we had a rather straightforward trip to USVI. Talked to folks who came from your neck of the woods and they had a rough time of it on boats like a Swan 53. I love Bermuda but I was told by an old-timer that if things are going well don't stop in Bermuda. had friends going from Newport who stopped in Bermuda for a rest and some repair and they were stuck for three weeks waiting for weather to continue south.

Last time we had to go to Bermuda for fuel since we had virtually no wind and had to motor most of the way from the Chesapeake. We left the same day as the Saltdy Dog, fun to sea the AIS plot with a dozen or more boats hanging a left int Bermuda for the same reason. We had light winds from strange directions all the way to Antigua. Trades only in the last 36 hours.

You never know for this passage. If it were me I would do the Chesapeake or even leave from Beaufort if time is not an issue.
Old 30-12-2022, 07:32   #5

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

That article is definitely enlightening, but it does seem to show the results of a particular weather event, not a pattern.

My thought was to stop at Bermuda to break it up for possible crew to depart and arrive at Bermuda. Also, I've never been to Bermuda, so I don't think a week or two there would be too much of a burden.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2022, 08:21   #6

Boat: Hylas 49

I've done both the Marion Bermuda and Annapolis Bermuda passages, and the GS crossing is definitley easier from New England. The Stream is slower and wider. The downside is the start of your trip will be colder longer from New England. Many boats go down to Morehead City NC to get a better angle on the wind and current.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2022, 08:42   #7

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I would always go for the route that is warmest and that crosses the stream the earliest. That is Beaufort where you are across the stream within the first day and Chesapeake within a day or a bit more. The weather reports are pretty solid that close to departure. As you say, Bermuda is about 600 miles from everywhere but I second whoever said not to stop there if all is going well. I have sailed there twice but never on the way to or from the Caribe
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bermuda