Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2011, 23:15   #16
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Re: Need a Place While Looking for Boat

Thanks for the tip Chris ; -)

Looks like a sweet little place, but we need 2 rooms... Garrett snores and Katy Rose objects... so the apartments suit us better. In the past we have had not trouble at all with apartment rentals. Done it frequently with very happy results.

I just hit the jackpot of scumbags this time : -(

I am book marking the Nevers, though, so that we can check for availability!

And Goslin, sorry fer the semi hijack.

For what it's worth I think the RV/trailer idea is is a good one. It would allow you to move thru the coastal areas looking at whats available!

Take a road trip from Iowa and look all along the coast on your way to the lessons.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 06:49   #17

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Need a place while looking for boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
be careful on craigslist... do NOT send any deposit/upfront money ahead...

I learned to my chagrin a few weeks ago that there are MANY spammers offering shortterm rentals on craigslist.

check spamwarners.com for names, domains and emails that are scammers...

it's an expensive and painful lesson.

Anyone know of small flats in london or paris avaliable in june....

*sigh*

cause we still haven't found legit places to replace the once we got scammed on...
Sorry about your troubles Sarafina. Have you tried doing a google search for cheap accomodations in Paris? We did this in Florence and found it much cheaper in one starthotels that had many reviews of being a clean simple hotel.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 08:21   #18

Goslin-try hotel.com or another hotel website. Get the cheapest room available for a couple of days then pound the pavement and talk to locals at marinas,bars, etc.and you should come up with a cheaper place. Hope this helps! Good luck!

P.S. Sorry your thread was hijacked.
jmo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 18:56   #19

Boat: tartan 3400

I purchased a boat in St Pete's through a broker -- and he was able to make any/all arrangements that I needed during commissioning, a spring-break shakedown, and before I sailed home to Texas. Many people would likely take in a renter if you have a contact. My broker was Tim Ashe in St Pete's (Tartan). He seems to have a lot of repeat customers -- give him a call. If that doesn't work, try another -- boaters are good people.
t-3400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 05:28   #20

Boat: 33 ft Watkins

Thanks everybody for your input. A lot of good advise! The info about EU was educational also, it made me fell like one of the group! The camper idea has promise, I will live with bare minimum on the boat, might as well get use to it in a camper first. Thanks again everybody!

Oz
goslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 06:15   #21

Boat: Leopard L38

Goslin,

I am in north Tampa and have a 30 foot Camper I am selling. She is not pretty, but solid no leaks and the floor has no soft spots. I'll take $1500.00 for her. If not I might be able to assist in finding you accommodations. Dates?
Phisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 06:27   #22

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by goslin View Post
Hi everybody,
I am more or less a newbe here, but I am looking for help to find a place to stay while I look for a boat. I will be in St. Petersburg for sailing classes, when, is still up in the air but at least by the end of summer. I have been reading alot on CF and believe my best bet is to live there while I look v/s using a broker or relying on the owner. I have learned a lot reading your postings and thank you all for the information that would otherwise take time to get.
I am looking for a room for rent, or a cockroach motel that is cheap. I am not a rich man, I used most of it taking care of my father in his lasts years. If anyone knows of something I would appreciate it. This is a dream of mine and I now have a chance to do it. I have been on the internet but those listings are for $400 wk. Thank you for your time.

Oz
I bought a 19' trailer. Costs less then a roach motel and I don't need to unpack every time I change location. Also by the time I find a boat, fix it up, and move aboard, I will be thinking what a big space I will have to live in.

The trailer cost me $2500 including tax/title. Weekly rates at a trailer park are about $150. If you can use a state park the rates are less than that (In some state parks in California they are as little as $5 a night.) Also by sleeping in the day time (While travelling) you can use the rest stops on the freeways, or even WalMart parking lots. No power/water in these but it's a place to sleep, like being on the hook.