Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2021, 10:51   #1

Need to abandon crew

If you take on crew for a passage with no defined ending point, and the passage goes poorly due to crew relationships, can you drop off the offending crew member at some intermediate port without an issue with a foreign country?

I also don't know how crew swaps work where you've completed the passage fully and no longer need crew or you take on new crew.

I'd appreciate some description of the process as well has how to handle a poorly chosen crewmember who needs to leave for their benefit or yours.

This is hypothetical, but a real concern.
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 11:12   #2

Re: Need to abandon crew

I believe that unless they have the funds and are willing to part with them, you (as the captain) will be on the hook for ensuring they get a ticket home... wherever that is.

My one and only experience having crew had a well defined start and end point. Also, there were no other points in between to "drop off" anyone.

All the best.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 11:47   #3

Officially or unofficially?

Unofficially, crew have returned from an errand to find their belongings sitting on a wharf and their vessel set sail. A low act on the Captain's part but....

Officially, in most jurisdictions the Captain is responsible for their crew's actions and lawful departure.

I'm not sure what happens when both agree that the crew will stay on and travel after the Captain wishes to leave the country. That could pose issues with checking out.
GoneDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 11:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneDiving View Post

Unofficially, crew have returned from an errand to find their belongings sitting on a wharf and their vessel set sail. A low act on the Captain's part but....
Good luck checking out of most countries under those circumstances
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 12:24   #5

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

How about banishing the offending crew to the dinghy (in tow) until they straighten out????lol
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 12:33   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I was in that situation once, and had the good fortune to transfer said crew to another vessel whose captain I knew....going back to my home port...I got to hear an earful at a later date, where my name was often mentioned embedded in some choice cusswords...but it was a price I was willing to pay..
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 13:54   #7

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
How about banishing the offending crew to the dinghy (in tow) until they straighten out????lol
that got a big smile — well played!
Beneteau2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 14:10   #8

Boat: Alberg 30

I’m not certain if this is still a thing, but most major airlines have up to half off discounts for crew returning home. Repatriation of Mariners discount.
SVSOLITAIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 08:34   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVSOLITAIRE View Post
I’m not certain if this is still a thing, but most major airlines have up to half off discounts for crew returning home. Repatriation of Mariners discount.
Boy this could be a gold nugget. Worth checking out!
Old 29-07-2021, 08:40   #10

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Last time we crewed for a boat there were no discounts for crew members to return home.

Interestingly I did find this article about repatriation flights during covid when crews were stuck.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 08:43   #11

So what I gather from the replies so far is that if an untenable situation develops, the Captain would have to pay for the crew member's ticket home to avoid any problem with the authorities.

Assuming that part of the problem is this individuals inability to be reasonable or socially aware, does this also mean that the Captain would have to accompany the crew to the airport or dock to make sure that the crew member actually left?

There was another thread that described a situation where an attractive woman was recruited as crew from a South American country. The Captain paid for her airfare to fly in. She stayed for a few days with him and then left with a number of assets from the boat.

This raises the same issue but from the crew member's viewpoint. What happens if the crew has had enough and wants to bail out during a provisioning stop?

Assuming like the woman, steals the treasure and departs without word. As Captain, you could file a police report on the theft, but then you still need to get on with the passage. How do the authorities handle missing crew?
Old 29-07-2021, 08:54   #12

I had two crew who wanted to remain on St. Lucia as they found jobs there. Immigration said to get them off my crew list all I had to do was get them a plane ticket to the next island. I did that, they got off and were eventually deported.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 08:56   #13

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCrab View Post
Assuming like the woman, steals the treasure and departs without word. As Captain, you could file a police report on the theft, but then you still need to get on with the passage. How do the authorities handle missing crew?

On a case-by-case basis with no guarantee of a reasonable outcome for the captain.

Choose wisely
Old 29-07-2021, 08:58   #14

Arrgh! Make 'em walk the plank matey!
DocHolliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 09:00   #15

In most cases (depending on the countries involved), you still need to get a departure stamp in your passport. If they want to risk having to deal with the wrong side of officials in a foreign land, that's on them.

I believe you don't need to make sure the person leaves the country but you need to prove they have a date and method of leaving (i.e. an airline ticket). This should allow you to clear out without them on the crew list.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew