Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2018, 17:48   #31

Re: Newbie questions, crossing the Atlantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by calin1967 View Post
Have you thought about buying a 20-30 year old 27-29 footer in Mediteranean and sail it around for 1-2 years? If you find a well mantained one, it might depreciate very little in 2 years and after that period you will know better what kind of boat is for you.
At 20-30 year old boat is what im leaning towards for my first boat. Im a little nervous/hesitant about buy a boat in the Caribbean. For some reason i think that id be more likely to get ripped off or end up buying a stolen boat or something, im nit sure why i think this. How would it work if i bought a boat down there, is there insurance companys i can use there with out being a resident or would i have to register it in canada and get insurance through them and pay the taxes on the boat.
Skywalker204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 18:11   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Skywalker:

Since you are in Vancouver, you would get yourself off to a splendid start if you went to Cooper Yachts/Jibset Sailing School and signed up for one of their "Cruise and Learn"s. Many, many years ago I used to skipper/instruct C&L for the Jibset. I have no connection with them now, but I can assure you that a C&L in these waters - Salish Sea, Gulf Islands, Broughton Archipelago, etc. - is a wonderful experience just for the cruising, and with a good instructor - which Jibset has aplenty - you will come back ready to handle a modern cruising boat in the 36 - 40 foot range. and to navigate coastwise.

Jibset is on Granville Island. Look them up on line.

Once you've done a week or two in a well found boat, you'll begin to have some inkling as to what you will need/want in your own. When you go looking for a boat, don't "fall between chairs"! Either spend a LOT of money on a boat that is ready to go RTW and be prepared to spend a LOT more to maintain her as well as to take a major hit on depreciation. Or go the other way: Spend only a LITTLE money on the purchase, be prepared to spend a LOT of money of upgrading and maintaining her, and save a LOT of money on not having to take the depreciation hit! With a budget of 70K - which is really quite scant for what you are intending to do - I would, if I were you, choose the latter option.

From what we can know of you on the basis of your few posts, I would think that you are quite some time - learning time - away from being able to implement you dream in a sensible manner. That isn't meant to be unkind. On the contrary! Why don't you hang in here, follow our discussiosns about this and that, and ask any questions you like. Remember there are NO "stupid questions" I can guarantee you that you'll get lots of answers and opinions to choose from :-)

One of the "missions" of this 'ere forum is to get people like you off to a good start :-)

Welcome, and all the best in your endeavours

TrentePieds.
Actually i live in Manitoba at the moment, im working up north for the next 1-2 years so i can afford all of this. Then i figured id move to the east coast like newfound land of nova scotia because the cost of living is lower out there compared to the west coast. Im flying to Vancouver on my week off just to do my 101 and 103. The reasoning i want my 101-104 and ICC is so i can charter boats (my understanding was i needed these to charter).

I agree with your second option of buying a older boat and fixing it up aposed to a new boat. I have two more years to save up, so ill should beable to save up more, all depends on how much longer the job last up here.

I know i need to do alot before i can even attempt my goal, but i have to start somewhere and what better place to start the by talking to experience sailors and learn what im up against. I really to appreciate all the advice and kindness everyone has shown me so far, really making me feel like this is possible.
Thanks
Old 09-07-2018, 18:15   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Skywalker:

Your comment about your ineligibility to enter the US came in while I was writing my previous post.

My counsel would be to be VERY,VERY careful! There is a stink in our Parliament at the moment because the Royal Canadian Navy has been "impressed" (forced) to play rentacop for the US Coast Guard, mainly in the Caribbean but I hear rumours that the same games are being played off the coast of Nova Scotia. The USCG doesn't give a damn about international agreements when they are looking for "druggies", and if you get caught in anything like that, the onus will be on you to prove that you are innocent. And while that process drags on you might well lose your boat in a little game called "Civil Asset Forfeiture"

I say again: Do what you intend to do with your eyes wide open!!!

TP
I can asure you im not going to be smuggling drugs lol. But this does bring up a good question. I have a medical marijuana card (pot prescription), can i still take my meds (pot) with me on the boat as i cruise from country to country or is my medical card only good in canada?
Old 09-07-2018, 18:20   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfcoastsailor View Post
I thought the same thing being in Florida. So when I started my search I scanned northern boats. Four of four boats surveyed had water intrusion issues. Seems unless they are stored indoors for the winter, the melting winter snow is a long slow melt giving water time to search out any nook or cranny to infiltrate the decks and hulls.
Would being stored under a tarp be sufficient keeping the snow and water off it or do you think it would have to be in a heated buidling?
Old 09-07-2018, 18:28   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
How the US is changing, and so incredibly quickly, very very sad. Anyone remember The Immigrant by Neil Sedaka? Reading the above post I am reminded of Webb Chiles sailing through the Red Sea some years back. He experienced some unfortunate boat problem and had no choice but to land. Unfortunately the shore was Saudi Arabia and he was spotted, arrested and put in prison. At the convenience of the Saudi authorities, some time later, finally questioned. You can read about this in his book The Ocean Waits. Link is the free PDF version.

But my suggestion for the OP is proceed with your plan to sail the Arctic Circle route. Fantastic ambition. Watch the YouTube Channel DrakeParagon as in their latest series they sail to Greenland. There are quite a number of channels in a similar vain, whether Antarctic or Arctic trips they'll have value.

But to gain some real ocean experience volunteer to crew on some crossings. Always people looking for help and typically all you need to pay is the airfare. It's valuable because you'll gain an understanding of what ocean crossings entail, how you cope with sea sickness and tiredness, and the absolute nothingness out there and the virtual isolation. On a wet boat you'll also understand being freezing cold and wet all the time. And trust me, it's no fun sleeping in a soaking wet bag.

Much of what you'll read on this forum are from people with deep wallets and luxurious vessels (comparatively). So air con/heating, unlimited pressure water, clothes washer/dryers and generously appointed vessels sailing in tropical climes tend to dominate the discussions. And I'm not knocking wealth, just saying. Where as the OP has a considerably limited budget, so fitting out of whatever vessel he/she buys will result in a more frugal experience. But OP don't skimp on heating!

Several delivery skippers lurk the forum and I'm sure one or two of them will be looking for a competent crew from time to time.
Thanks, this sounds like brillant idea untill im ready to do it on my own. Do you think some one would take me on even with such little experiance?
Old 09-07-2018, 19:23   #36

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

First, I admire your determination.

Second, I encourage you to buy a copy of Jimmy Cornell's World Sailing Routes.

https://cornellsailing.com/publicati...uising-routes/

Sailors plan their routes based on the winds and currents. Jimmy's book will give you a detailed view of the routes sailboats can take, and help you plan a realistic itinerary.

You seem to have a positive attitude and a generous budget. Good luck to you.

The hardest part...is trying.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 20:16   #37

Thank you! Is there any other books off the website that would be helpful aswell?
Old 09-07-2018, 22:19   #38

Boat: Tartan 3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker204 View Post
Which company would you guys recomend for charting a boat, are there companys that do long term charters or leases?
I'll lease you my boat. 30 ft. Solid boat, can sail her to Iceland if you like. No heater tho.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 22:42   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Florida View Post
I'll lease you my boat. 30 ft. Solid boat, can sail her to Iceland if you like. No heater tho.
I wont be ready to lease it for another 1-2 years, still got to learn first lol. How much would you want and where is located?
Old 09-07-2018, 22:55   #40

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Is there any other books off the website that would be helpful aswell?
Chapman's book of Piloting and Seamanship - comprehensive dry textbook/bible

Calder's Mechanical and Electrical Guide - great for learning and referencing/troubleshotting diesel/electrical issues

Hal Roth's How to Sail Around the World - easy read and experientially informative

Where There is No Doctor - backcountry medical info and diagnostic tool

The countless stories or accounts of others who have gone before

Whatever else you can get your hands on

As was so eloquently said by Sojourner a while back, there's a lot to learn! .."the learning curve is long, and steep." .. but it's fast too when you just get out there and make some mistakes!

..Make sure you make all the dumb mistakes that you're gonna make before you midocean enroute to greenland tho!

Cheers and all the best
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 23:00   #41

Boat: Tartan 3000

Quote:
I wont be ready to lease it for another 1-2 years, still got to learn first lol. How much would you want and where is located?
$1500 a month, October to June, Huntington N.Y., east coast. Direct shot to Iceland.

BYOB
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:06   #42

Quote:
What does OP stand for? Also im not a wanted fugitive on the run here lol. I wouldnt get arrested id get deined entry if anything (i think, not sure how thatd work one the ocean thou). I havnt tried to go to the states since i had a little hicup with the law here in Manitoba where i live. Its just if i go to try to enter the states the get a copy of my record and itll be on their records for life making it extremely difficult to enter the states even after i get my canadian pardon in 5 years.
I think I understand. It would most likely just be an administrative hassle if you were forced to land and they figured out you weren't eligible for entry into the USA.

But as long as you didn't try anything sneaky or stupid, unlikely to be more than that. I would try to stay at least 50-100miles offshore, to keep it clear you aren't doing something funny. It may make more sense to run to Bermuda and then down because otherwise, you may wind up fighting the gulf stream the whole way.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:13   #43

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
One of the questions that just came to mind is how far away from US land would i need to stay to avoid going through customs if i sailed from nova scotia to the Caribbean, i cant enter the US at this point in time.
You can sail from the east coast to Bermuda...about a week.
Then from Bermuda down to the Caribbean. Even better would be to do the Atlantic Circuit...a route based on the clockwise rotation of currents and wind in the North Atlantic.

You can see the details of all these routes in Jimmy Cornell's World Sailing Routes. Its not just the route, but the timing as well...what time of year for the best wind directions and least storms.

And you don't need to spend $70,000 to do any of this. Here is a boat that is suitable and ready to go for a tiny fraction of that. And it will hold its value during your trip too:
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/kin...ationFlag=true

You will see these words many times on these pages: Go small and go now!

You said you are looking for adventure...the smaller the boat, the bigger the adventure!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:42   #44

Re #41

Interesting - that :-)!

Tartan 3000s seem to list for 10 months' lease payments at that rate. No doubt they sell for rather less.

TP
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 15:01   #45

Boat: Swanson

You getting great advices, but one problem for many people is actually water enviroment. After all day jumping on 2 to 3 m waves , coming to harbour,
how is your boat handling concentration & navigations.
Crossing the oceans is boring, hardly no skil need it.
Buy a trailer sailer, spend and week coastal hopping , before you go step further.
Test yourself in constantly moving liquid.
that's the most important, to know you can spend months there not just a few hours.
Tikka is offline   Reply With Quote