Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2024, 12:09   #16

Boat: Tayana 37 PH
Re: Noob looking for directions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcarr1 View Post
Similar to my current thinking. Planning on extended time on hard up front. For teak deck you mean the entire deck teak, not the teak footing on top of fiberglass in the cockpit, correct?

I know electrics very well, and plan on doing significant engineering of solar/wind/battery systems on whatever I buy.
Cockpit is fine.. Noting structural underneath.
Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2024, 12:12   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruso View Post
Every marina is private enterprise they can refuse the service on whatever reason. It is possible some filter out older boats with liability only.
Keep in mind Euro sailors certifications requirements.
I would not bother with certifications training and I did not at all. Sailing is easy part. Repair, storm tactics better to hire local sailor with the same boat to give a few day sail crash course. Take vocation trip to Florida and walk around marinas. Someone will take you day sail, especially if you buy a dinner to a Capitan.
I'll ping some of the marinas to see what I'm looking at.

I see the SLC certification, but that seems to be for "charter". Does that mean I need it to charter other people, or that I need it for sailing my own boat. Plan is only I and friends of mine will be on the boat. Not planning to use it to make $$$.

Good idea on the Marinas. Beer and tacos go a long way. I should plan on spending X amount of time in FL on training, I should spend 2X wandering marinas.
jjcarr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2024, 12:13   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruso View Post
Cockpit is fine.. Noting structural underneath.
Yeah, wood boats scare me
Old 29-07-2024, 12:23   #19

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Would having liability insurance only restrict me from some marinas or getting the boat out of the water? I've seen mention of "insurance required" but I'm working on learning what that means in detail.
Marinas only care about liability. If you lose your boat that is on you. If you damage someone elses boat of the marina they want you to be covered. Liability policies usually have provisions for hulk removal and fuel/oil spillage cleanup which is the big cost for a marina if your boat sinks at its moorings.

Note some marinas don't care at all but those that care are good with liability only. I have never known a marina which wanted full coverage.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2024, 12:25   #20

Ball-park, what should I expect to pay for liability insurance on a 40' $50k boat (say 1989 vintage)
Old 29-07-2024, 12:29   #21

Quote:
My current thinking is 36' min, 45' max. But all that is subject to input/experience.
36 is a lot of boat to handle solo with no (or minimal) experience. 45 is a whole lot of boat.

Keep in mind boat lengths can be deceptive. A 45 foot boat isn't a bit larger it is 50% higher displacement of a 36 foot boat which is 50% higher than a 30 foot one. To put numbers on it for medium displacement boats 30 foot is ballpark 4 tons, 36 foot ("only 20% longer) is 6 tons, and a 45 foot around 10 tons.

As boats get bigger the ability for you solo handing to fix things if they get out of hand goes down. Also the mass of your boat means the level of damage you can cause to other people's very expensive boats goes up.

If you do look for boats 36-45 foot I would recommend some experience on boats that size maybe a docking course.
Old 29-07-2024, 12:34   #22

Quote:
Ball-park, what should I expect to pay for liability insurance on a 40' $50k boat (say 1989 vintage)
There is no ballpark once you get outside the US. Our liability on a 34 foot with $500k limit is $400 a year and was similar when we owned a 37 foot Tayana.

Keep in mind to my knowledge no insurance company will cover solo sailing as it violates colregs (provisions for watch keeping). Most have language which excludes any and all damages/losses which occur more than 24 hours after leaving port if solo occupied.
Old 29-07-2024, 12:37   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
There is no ballpark once you get outside the US. Our liability on a 34 foot with $500k limit is $400 a year and was similar when we owned a 37 foot Tayana.

Keep in mind to my knowledge no insurance company will cover solo sailing as it violates colregs (provisions for watch keeping). Most have language which excludes any and all damages/losses which occur more than 24 hours after leaving port if solo occupied.
Good info for me to research.
Old 29-07-2024, 12:52   #24

Boat: Pearson P-35

Since it appears that your focus is on comfort, here is an article that I recently read that focuses on live-aboard sailboats.

https://www.lifeofsailing.com/post/1...ats-to-live-in

You can see here, that unless you have a very large family, you can get away with a relatively small (and therefore manageable) boat while still maintaining your comfort level.

If any of these boats appeals to you, set up a saved search on Yachtworld, and you can track their prices anywhere on the globe.
Good luck.
Old 29-07-2024, 12:53   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramron67 View Post
Since it appears that your focus is on comfort, here is an article that I recently read that focuses on live-aboard sailboats.

https://www.lifeofsailing.com/post/1...ats-to-live-in

You can see here, that unless you have a very large family, you can get away with a relatively small (and therefore manageable) boat while still maintaining your comfort level.

If any of these boats appeals to you, set up a saved search on Yachtworld, and you can track their prices anywhere on the globe.
Good luck.
Grassyass!
Old 29-07-2024, 14:26   #26

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Welcome aboard CF, jjcarr1!

Use the CF Custom Google search (down the Search menu) to look for threads about insurance. It can be difficult to source even plain liability coverage. Especially for someone with no practical experience, and even with certifications.

Boats are depreciating assets: financing them is a very bad idea.

If you want a monohull sailboat eventually, the best way to learn to attend to the sailing part (which is actually the quicker and easier part) is to take classes and learn to sail in a small dinghy. It's fun! What you learn about what the boat does under varied conditions will serve you well whatever boats you move on to as you gain experience. For you, as a person with little or no experience with sailing, you may enjoy sailing You Tube videos, but they are really entertainment, and what you have "learned" from them, you may have to un-learn.

If you are one of us who learn better by doing, start small, with a trailer sailer that you can keep in your yard, and let it start teaching you. See if you even like it (not everyone does).

Ann
Old 29-07-2024, 17:45   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Welcome aboard CF, jjcarr1!

Use the CF Custom Google search (down the Search menu) to look for threads about insurance. It can be difficult to source even plain liability coverage. Especially for someone with no practical experience, and even with certifications.

Boats are depreciating assets: financing them is a very bad idea.

If you want a monohull sailboat eventually, the best way to learn to attend to the sailing part (which is actually the quicker and easier part) is to take classes and learn to sail in a small dinghy. It's fun! What you learn about what the boat does under varied conditions will serve you well whatever boats you move on to as you gain experience. For you, as a person with little or no experience with sailing, you may enjoy sailing You Tube videos, but they are really entertainment, and what you have "learned" from them, you may have to un-learn.

If you are one of us who learn better by doing, start small, with a trailer sailer that you can keep in your yard, and let it start teaching you. See if you even like it (not everyone does).

Ann
Given my landlocked home location, training will have to be a planned, formal event. But I plan to keep my eyes open for any other alternatives.
Old 30-07-2024, 12:04   #28

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

I have a 30 foot Pearson 9000 pounds, easy to single hand and a bit of a sports car. It has been sailed right into its slip a few times doing a "U" turn in the process.

Our 44 footer 30,000 pounds is a whole different story. Great to live on, it is a French built "ocean boat" in other words is a bear to maneuver in tight quarters. But laughs at the weather that knocks around in the Pearson.

Out in the open water the size is not an issue for the larger boat. Starting out I would go small then after some time go bigger. I have sized up 3 times with sailboats and never had an insurance problem. But they have a history with me as I went up in size and destructive force that my boat could impose. If you want to read about a guy getting in way over his head read "Breaking Seas".
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2024, 12:57   #29

Boat: Beneteau 35

I agree with 99% of the comments above. Particularly:
i. do some sailing in other people's boats to be sure that you like sailing before you buy your own boat. Even if your intention is to use the boat as a live aboard platform to support land adventures, it may be the case that there are better/cheaper alternatives to exploring the world without owning a boat.
ii. Go small and learn. If you are on your own, a 30' boat is generally capable (people circumnavigate in even smaller boats), and offers adequate living space. The bigger the boat, the harder it is to maintain and even to prep for a day sail. Particularly if single handing.
iii. Look at lots of boats. Just looking and talking with owners is a terrific educational opportunity to learn what might work for you.
Harryj50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2024, 07:53   #30

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 49

To several new sailors on this thread….

Join a sailing program like SailTime, sail for a year, then repeat this post. (But you won’t need to because you learned so much)

BTW, buying an old Ketch or similar, will either bankrupt you, or it will sink in the slip (and you’ll be on the hook for environmental damage) or you’ll give it away after 10 years.

You have no idea of the enormity of the reckless statements you are making.
Bluechart is offline   Reply With Quote